General Category > Velo Fixe

Miche Primato cranks

(1/2) > >>

JonB:
I have recently switched from a Stronglight crank to a Miche Primato. The R/H side, the chainset, has been fine and a lot 'rounder' than the Stronglight which results in a more even chain tension. When I installed the L/H crank it was extremely close to the bottom bracket shell although it didn't seem to be touching, I did a couple of rides with it, including a 200km and then noticed it was loose. The bolt remained tight and it looked like it had gone too far onto the bottom bracket square taper so that the bolt was just tightening against the end of the bottom bracket. I have since fitted the stronglight L/H crank, which fits fine, but I find it slightly annoying that I have mismatched cranks.

Although I've not removed the bottom bracket I'm sure it's a Shimano 107mm UN (something). I did wonder if I should fit a Miche bottom bracket but this feels a bit of a punt and it looks like I'd also need to buy a Campag tool to fit it which is an added cost.

Any thoughts?

Tim Hall:
Miche Primato is JIS taper. Is the Stronglight it's replacing JIS or ISO? The crank ending up closer to the bottom bracket would get me looking at bottom bracket taper vs crank taper, as would the almost bottoming out of the crwnk.

I've got a Miche xPress, which is JIS, running on a Shimano something or other, which is ISO without any loosening issues. I did have to be a bit careful to make sure the cranks didn't hit the frame.

Hot Flatus:
Stringlight is ISO....your SL c/set wont have sat fully down the BB spline because JIS axles are a bit fatter.

Maybe you need a longer BB axle?

JonB:
Thanks both.
I think the Stronglight was JIS as advertised https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/stronglight-track-2000-crankset-165mm/71371.html and the Miche states it is JIS on the box. I had presumed Shimano to be JIS.  I'm not keen on a wider bottom bracket because it will mess with the chainline. The weird thing is that the chainset sits absolutely fine on the bottom bracket, not too near the frame and no loosening or bottoming out problems, I can't help feeling that I've got a duff L/H crank arm

Hot Flatus:
Ah, I have a 2000 on a bike I haven't ridden for a while (ie a decade) and you are right, it is JIS. Sorry for muddying the waters

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version