Author Topic: Strava  (Read 25837 times)

Re: Strava
« Reply #25 on: 06 May, 2015, 08:16:52 pm »
Strava ... The curse of the cycling classes ....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:15:22 pm »
I've taken to uploading everything, because graphs and heatmaps.  Normally shopping trips are just manually entered distance/time (which tends not to attract kudos), but I've been playing with the android app recently so have logged some shorter rides.

« Reply #27 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:23:45 pm »
I tend to post everything too. :-\ I don't enter spin classes as "bike rides" as some people seem to, though, because they aren't actual real miles on a real bike. :hand:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:27:30 pm »
I tend to post everything too. :-\ I don't enter spin classes as "bike rides" as some people seem to, though, because they aren't actual real miles on a real bike. :hand:

Well obviously not.  Velodrome sessions totally count, thobut  8)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #29 on: 07 May, 2015, 03:34:07 am »
I enter everything on a bike (not that that adds up to much just now). I get the occasional random Kudos from a stranger; they do seem to be seeking to add to their tally of 'friends'. If they do it too often, you can put them on ignore.

« Reply #30 on: 07 May, 2015, 07:48:29 am »

+1

I grew up in a world where one’s cycling capabilities were kept deadly secret between one and one’s team coach.
One’s capabilities were only demonstrated when some fool attempted to show he was better.

Strava, is "some fool attempting to show he is better."

TimC

« Reply #31 on: 07 May, 2015, 08:34:14 am »
Rubbish. It's the exact opposite - there's no hiding the fact that I'm crap on Strava, along with 99% of the other users. You can't 'attempt to show he is better' when the numbers show exactly how average you are! Perhaps you'd abolish racing on the same grounds?

« Reply #32 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:34:41 am »
It’s the other 1% we’re worried about.

They’ll end up killing themselves or killing someone else chasing a PB on Strava.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #33 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:52:19 am »

They’ll end up killing themselves or killing someone else chasing a PB on Strava.

People who ride like idiots were riding like idiots before Strava, and will be riding like idiots long after it's gone.

TimC

« Reply #34 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:55:44 am »

Nope, I'm not worried about them. They'll exist with or without Strava, just as twats driving Corsas at twice the speed limit will continue to decorate roadside hedges, ditches and crash barriers nationwide, even though there is no motorists' equivalent of Strava. At least on a bike they're only likely to kill themselves, and thus improve the gene pool. The evidence would suggest, however, that very, very few have done anything of the sort.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #35 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:02:15 am »
I like Strava, it lets me record my mileage and the segments let me see how I am doing with regards my previous efforts. I am not fast enough to bother the top 10's!

« Reply #36 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:12:42 am »

People who ride like idiots were riding like idiots before Strava, and will be riding like idiots long after it's gone.

Now the people who are riding like idiots have proof they ride like idiots.

« Reply #37 on: 07 May, 2015, 02:12:39 pm »
I'm on Strava, not premium. 
Strava seems great for comparing your times to others.

I'm on veloviewer, premium (tenner for the year)
Veloviewer seems great for comparing yourself against your own times. (oh, and it gives you your edington number :-) )

I'm not bothered how I rank to others, but its interesting to me to see my own history on paricular climbs / segments / etc

« Reply #38 on: 07 May, 2015, 02:31:10 pm »
98.9% of Strava users have documented proof they are 'more sensible' that other Strava users.
0.01% of Strava users use it to remind themselves where they've been.

« Reply #39 on: 07 May, 2015, 02:36:21 pm »

ok, so I don't know if they were chasing a PB or even on strava but... what were you saying?
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/pensioner-died-after-collision-with-high-speed-cyclist-inquest-hears-169828

Si_Co

« Reply #40 on: 07 May, 2015, 03:37:16 pm »

Now the people who are riding like idiots have proof they ride like idiots.

I like Strava but I don't need it to prove I ride like an idiot, that's what I have a camera for.  :D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 07 May, 2015, 06:48:34 pm »
I tend to agree.

For a long time I tried to take the  live-and-let-live path of tolerance. But now it's taking over the real world - every bloody cafe-stop, its all some people talk about.
Recent club away trip - at the post-ride dinner, 2/3rd of riders were staring at Strava and/or Instagram stuffs on their phones.

Depressing.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #42 on: 07 May, 2015, 06:52:34 pm »
Recent club away trip - at the post-ride dinner, 2/3rd of riders were staring at Strava and/or Instagram stuffs on their phones.

Depressing.
That's not Strava, it's phones. If you weren't cycling, it'd be Facebook and Instagram.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 07 May, 2015, 06:56:48 pm »

Depressing.
That's not Strava, it's phones. If you weren't cycling, it'd be Facebook and Instagram.
Fair point, people ARE dreadful with such things - but its gotten a lot worse with Strava (which is much newer than the era of almost-total-mobile-ownership ).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

« Reply #44 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:21:11 pm »
98.9% of Strava users have documented proof they are 'more sensible' that other Strava users.
If you don't like it, don't use it. Let those who do like it get on with it. I do like it, and I do like to see where in the scale of ability I lie (well down the scale, as it happens). I do try, on some segments, to improve my time. As does any non-Strava cyclist who does anything resembling 'training' rather than just riding. I also use Veloviewer. Ok, I like stats - so sue me. Most riders in my club use it, and love to have a laugh endlessly (and aimlessly, but it's fun so who cares?) discussing each others' lack of ability compared to, say, the Women's Tour riders who comprehensively took all the local KoMs last year.

It's fun. Get over it.

« Reply #45 on: 08 May, 2015, 09:28:51 am »

Depressing.

+1

The height of rude is to get phone out at the dining table.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 08 May, 2015, 12:33:47 pm »
If you don't like it, don't use it. Let those who do like it get on with it. I do like it, and I do like to see where in the scale of ability I lie (well down the scale, as it happens). I do try, on some segments, to improve my time. As does any non-Strava cyclist who does anything resembling 'training' rather than just riding.
That's not the case - you don't need times to train. I only worry about exact times in real races.

Training is about effort level (either perceived, or via power and/or HR) for a particular duration (which doesn't need to be measured to the second!).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

TimC

« Reply #47 on: 10 May, 2015, 04:05:41 am »
If you don't like it, don't use it. Let those who do like it get on with it. I do like it, and I do like to see where in the scale of ability I lie (well down the scale, as it happens). I do try, on some segments, to improve my time. As does any non-Strava cyclist who does anything resembling 'training' rather than just riding.
That's not the case - you don't need times to train. I only worry about exact times in real races.

Training is about effort level (either perceived, or via power and/or HR) for a particular duration (which doesn't need to be measured to the second!).

Yes, my bad. I succumbed to a fit of grumpiness! Like lots and lots of people, I like Strava. The vast majority of users aren't that competitive - the numbers make it plainly obvious that only a very few are actually quick enough to trouble the KoM/QoM charts - so the comparisons are really only with ourselves and to check whether or not we're improving or deteriorating against the benchmark of those nearest us in the ladder. I find it's good motivation to get out and ride, and to put a bit of effort in rather than just bimble - though there are plenty of occasions when I'm happy to ride at a moderate pace and forget about segments. In fact, there are only one or two segments in my local area that I care about as a measure of my own fitness; all the others are of no more than passing interest. I'm much more interested in where I've been and who else has done something similar, and for that the Flyby and Heatmap features are fascinating. Well, I think so!

Edit: actually, there is one other aspect I like. I do like to boggle at the speeds, times or distances that the really good riders achieve, and ponder just how much faster and fitter than mere mortals like me they are. Some of them are people I know (including my ex), so it brings another aspect to the experience of using the site.

Jakob

« Reply #48 on: 10 May, 2015, 05:43:34 am »

I'd like to think that I've proven that wrong. One particular commute, where the light sequence was just right for a new PB and I was hammering like mad on a section with a 2-way bike path. I had to overtake one guy and a lady was coming opposite direction at just the wrong timing, but I went for it anyway and saw the lady's look of fear as I threw myself into a gap where I could only just fit.
I realized that I was riding like a complete knob and deleted Strava of my phone and started actually enjoying my commute.

« Reply #49 on: 10 May, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »
The vast majority of users aren't that competitive - the numbers make it plainly obvious that only a very few are actually quick enough to trouble the KoM/QoM charts - so the comparisons are really only with ourselves and to check whether or not we're improving or deteriorating against the benchmark of those nearest us in the ladder.

KOM charts, yes - the QOM charts are much easier to trouble, because there just aren't that many women on Strava.