Author Topic: Strava  (Read 26090 times)

Re: Strava
« Reply #75 on: 07 August, 2015, 11:20:11 pm »
Strava seems to have suddenly switched its maps from Google to OpenStreetMap - or is it just me? I'm confused...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #76 on: 07 August, 2015, 11:26:32 pm »
Looks like it has...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #77 on: 07 August, 2015, 11:54:10 pm »
Yes, I think the main maps changed a last week. I'm not sure about the map style they are using, it all looks rather pale, paths and forest tracks are not very obvious.

Note Strava have been using OSM in various places for a while. eg the routing is based on it (combined with Strava's own data). And you can report routing errors, so people can fix it in OSM.

« Reply #78 on: 10 August, 2015, 11:45:28 am »
Its dead at the moment. Possible AWS outage...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #79 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:54:08 pm »
I'm not much of a strava user.  Occasionally use it to check "improvements" to the commute.  (Actually, both the morning and evening routes are out of date by 0.2 miles - I might get around to recording the new bits at some time)
Otherwise I only use it if my bike computer isn't working, as happened in Wales the other week.  Even then I probably won't up load it unless it's something I want to refer back to.

Anyway, my grumble.  The other day I made a comment on one of Steve's rides.  I hadn't realised that as a non premium member I could do that.
Bloody hell!  All evening I get notifications that someone else has commented.  Fuck off.  I don't care!  Can't find a way to turn them off.  Cos I'm a cheapskate member?

Then, all of you send follow requests.  Why?  You'll not see anything.
I do apologise if I have appeared to have ignored you.  I'm not what you think I am.  I'm just a bloke what rides a bike.  Nothing to see here.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #80 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:14:23 pm »
...Can't find a way to turn them off. ...

Hover cursor over your default /avatar > settings > email notifications  - uncheck 'when someone comments...'  (I think)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

simonp

« Reply #81 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:18:26 pm »
Yes there is a way. I am going to turn off emails for kudos as well.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #82 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:33:41 pm »
Sorry.  That was a bit of a rant, wasn't it?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #83 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:36:55 pm »

Kudos?  I don't get any kudos.  Oh hang on, that's because I don't bother with followers.  :)

« Reply #84 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:39:54 pm »
I turned all the notifications off a long time ago. Especially those annoying "you lost your QOM" ones. :demon:

simonp

« Reply #85 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:41:09 pm »
I imagine Steve has it turned off with over 1000 kudos every day. Because uploaded a ride per stage of PBP I got around 100 emails about it.  :facepalm:

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #86 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:56:13 pm »
I've stopped using it on the basis I couldn't stop it sucking power from my phone. No patience with apps that don't make it easy to control when they run.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #87 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:59:21 pm »

Kudos?  I don't get any kudos.  Oh hang on, that's because I don't bother with followers.  :)

*tapity-tap*

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #88 on: 26 August, 2015, 10:02:49 pm »
 ;D

GIT!
 ;D

« Reply #89 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:46:01 am »
Basil, Basil, he’s Brum’s main man.
We follow him whener’ we can.
We try to stay, but we cannot last,
Cus ‘Main man’ Basil’s too damned fast.

« Reply #90 on: 04 September, 2015, 11:47:06 am »
Do you log your commutes on Strava?  If so do you mark them private to prevent those 'following' seeing all these rides on the 'dashboard'?  Mine have been public, but am doing a fair bit more commuting by bike these days.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #91 on: 04 September, 2015, 03:13:22 pm »
If you make your commutes private, they won't count towards segments or challenges. I'm not too bothered about segments, but I think it is interesting to track monthly distances etc, so worth logging all of my rides, and setting them as public.

You can tag your rides as "Commute". And it has been suggested that this could allow filtering out of the activity feed. But it seems this is not possible currently. eg see https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/27349234-What-does-the-commute-button-actually-do-

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #92 on: 04 September, 2015, 05:32:10 pm »
You can tag your rides as "Commute". And it has been suggested that this could allow filtering out of the activity feed. But it seems this is not possible currently. eg see https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/27349234-What-does-the-commute-button-actually-do-

It's a glaring omission, along with the ability to apply a luggage fudge factor (maybe a simple tickybox, but perhaps a field where you can add a weight so the estimated power figures take this into account would be better).  I know Strava's very race/fitness oriented, but surely many of us use bikes for transport, or tour with a load - at least some of the time.

« Reply #93 on: 04 September, 2015, 05:50:33 pm »
I don't commute, but if I did I'd log them. Seeing other people's daily 2-mile commutes in my dashboard feed isn't particularly interesting, but miles are miles and they all count. I have been known to log stupidly short utility rides, anyway, on the rare occasions that I (a) take a bike, and (b) remember the Garmin.

Agree with Kim that it would be good to have the ability to add luggage weight.

« Reply #94 on: 04 September, 2015, 08:55:57 pm »
I don't log utility rides on Strava. I tend not to have any tracking on, and it's not My Definitive Record of stuff.
Depends what you use Strava for, doesn't it?

« Reply #95 on: 04 September, 2015, 10:43:46 pm »

It's a glaring omission, along with the ability to apply a luggage fudge factor (maybe a simple tickybox, but perhaps a field where you can add a weight so the estimated power figures take this into account would be better).  I know Strava's very race/fitness oriented, but surely many of us use bikes for transport, or tour with a load - at least some of the time.

Yes, the only thing I can see that the "commute" tag does, is to allow one to exclude commutes from the "Activity Log" i.e. the lollipop calendar graphic - though not hugely useful & it doesn't even seem to work properly anyway (as when I 'exclude' - quite a few "commutes" still remain).  I notice marking commutes as private also removes the tot commuting distance from publicly viewed data.  I do log everything on Strava - except occasional rides on my 'pub bike'. 

That thread on the Strava help centre re. 'commute tagging' has been active for ~18mths - seems like the Strava coding wheels turn rather slowly...

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #96 on: 23 December, 2015, 03:05:25 pm »
Looks like there are some speedy riders around Bristol at the moment  :)

Poor segment definition?
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #97 on: 23 December, 2015, 05:10:02 pm »
Looks like there are some speedy riders around Bristol at the moment  :)

Poor segment definition?

Nah, we've just moved on from cars to using light aircraft to cheat. Wait until someone gets hold of.an English Electric Lightning - that'll set some impressive KOMs on full reheat, blow the rest away I reckon.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #98 on: 23 December, 2015, 05:48:25 pm »

Nah, we've just moved on from cars to using light aircraft to cheat. Wait until someone gets hold of.an English Electric Lightning - that'll set some impressive KOMs on full reheat, blow the rest away I reckon.

Well, that would be appropriate, given that the location is adjacent to the River Avon and the Lightning used 2x R-R Avon engines
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #99 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:03:14 pm »
I have become involved in the comedy which is Strava. This is after I started following Kajsa Tylen's effort. I had been watching Kurt & Steve as well, but Kajsa has as a specific aim the involvement of others, which seems very laudable.

I am disappointed. It is telling me that I have set a number of "Personal Records" over "segments" but also that there are lots of people who have managed to complete those segments more slowly than I have. For example, there is a "segment" called "MARCUS'S MEMORIAL MUMBAI MILE" on which my place is 2327 /2864.

How can there be 500 people in Southend who take sufficient interest to put their rides on Strava but who are slower than I am?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.