Author Topic: Legal Erythropoietin  (Read 2114 times)

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
Legal Erythropoietin
« on: 11 November, 2009, 03:46:32 am »
A couple of days ago I had a batch of EPO delivered because of an illness described elsewhere on this forum.

Today I get to have my first injection of Aranesp (darbepoetin).  I have never taken anything like this before, but I have a certain fascination with the potential benefits.

A couple of years ago I read an article on a guy who took EPO (et al) as part of his prep for PBP.  To suggest that there are no benefits is to deny the evidence, but I have always been wary of Lance Armstrong's doctor (Ferrari) comparing EPO to orange juice.  Now I get to take it legitimately.

I am curious on how to empirically measure the benefits on me.  Maybe it is too late to set a baseline but suggestions on a mini scientific study would be welcome.  For reference, my fitness is very low.  I have not ridden for about 8 months, and a 3km walk is a major undertaking at the moment.

My physician said that there should be short term placebo benefits followed by longer term physical ones.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Legal Erythropoietin
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2009, 09:54:12 am »
You'll be turbo'ing at 2am to keep you jam-thick blood from setting in your legs yet!  Sounds fascinating, do keep us informed.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2009, 10:05:44 am »
Record your time to walk (say) 1km on a regular basis.
Plot the result on a graph.
Cheap.
Simples.

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2009, 10:06:19 am »
I am curious on how to empirically measure the benefits on me. 

Compare number of audax victories before and after treatment

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2009, 10:09:38 am »
Ethnographic drug research!

Maybe just keep some kind of diary about your levels of activity and note any other relevant factors?

If you find yourself feeling more able to get on a turbo or take a walk once you've been on it for a while, then start monitoring your performance then.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2009, 10:21:46 am »
Bear in mind that kidney patients are prescribed EPO because their malfunctioning kidneys fail to produce enough of the body's natural EPO which initiates the production of red blood cells. When Dez first started dialysis he was terribly anaemic and couldn't walk 50 yards without having to stop for a rest - not good in a 23 year old.

Once he was established in the routine, his red blood cell count was about 10% higher than everyone else's and he used to leave us all behind when we went for a long walk.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.