Author Topic: Bibshorts with Assos quality chamois pad, but lycra that is a lot more durable ?  (Read 3650 times)

The fit of assos bibs is fantastic and the chamois is the best ive used, such a pity that the lycra is so fragile. Ive got 3 pairs, 2 x S5 Uno and 1 x mille. On every pair the lycra at the base of my spine  before you get to the pad has bobbled and gotten so thin you can see the top of bum cheeks through it. Pitiful for such pricey items. My saddle is a leather san marco rolls and where the wear is rubs against nothing. Thr bobbling occurred very quickly and I wont be buying Assos again. What I need are quality bibs with tried and tested pad that sustains comfort over long rides and doesnt  have skin chafing seams. I would also like the bibs to be durable and have good longevity, what would you recommend ?

With the caveat that all not all bums are the same shape..
Rapha brevet bibs.  Have had tearing in the mesh on the shoulders after multiple use  but otherwise v durable and comfortable keep their shape. The down side is that they are very high waisted at the front so hard to pee without removing and hot down there too. They were goto bibs on 2 x TCR

7 mesh. trial running now so early days. Very comfortable and well made. A tighter fit than the Rapha brevet so beware with sizing. shoulder straps are super comfy.

Test riding rapha shorts at the moment too (the ones with side pockets) and if ok for multi day rides will ditch the strappy versions.
often lost.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Rapha brevet bibs.

+1 for these. Never had Assos so can’t compare directly but the Rapha Brevet do seem both comfortable and sturdy.

Also Endura FS260 - hard to pick between these and the Brevet for comfort.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I believe that the higher the “ quality” of the Lycra ( the greater the % of the magic fibres) the faster it will wear. I’m also told that sweat can affect the Lycra. I’m guessing that the fabric goes thin in appearance, but also might have some whiteish speckles?
I understand that Assos has just launched a new fabric, I don’t know if that will be different.
To get the best out of shorts I’d suggest taking them off and washing them as soon as your ride finishes. Always wash in a bag, Assos sometimes provide one, and the bag needs to be close fitting and with small holes ( not the net type with bigger holes). It’s all about minimising friction during washing.

I believe that the higher the “ quality” of the Lycra ( the greater the % of the magic fibres) the faster it will wear. I’m also told that sweat can affect the Lycra. I’m guessing that the fabric goes thin in appearance, but also might have some whiteish speckles?
I understand that Assos has just launched a new fabric, I don’t know if that will be different.
To get the best out of shorts I’d suggest taking them off and washing them as soon as your ride finishes. Always wash in a bag, Assos sometimes provide one, and the bag needs to be close fitting and with small holes ( not the net type with bigger holes). It’s all about minimising friction during washing.

I have to admit, considering what assos charge, Im sorely disappointed with the quality of the lycra. Ive got £25 planet x bibs that have been through hell and back and there isnt a mark on them, ive also had endura fs260 pro but found them to be pretty poor fitting and the pad aint great either.

With the caveat that all not all bums are the same shape..
Rapha brevet bibs.  Have had tearing in the mesh on the shoulders after multiple use  but otherwise v durable and comfortable keep their shape. The down side is that they are very high waisted at the front so hard to pee without removing and hot down there too. They were goto bibs on 2 x TCR

7 mesh. trial running now so early days. Very comfortable and well made. A tighter fit than the Rapha brevet so beware with sizing. shoulder straps are super comfy.

Test riding rapha shorts at the moment too (the ones with side pockets) and if ok for multi day rides will ditch the strappy versions.

I dont dig high fronted bibs either,  kind  of effects  ease of breathing for me.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
ive also had endura fs260 pro but found them to be pretty poor fitting and the pad aint great either.

Guess it goes to show how personal these things are - I've been extremely happy with mine and find the fit just about perfect.

Mind you, I used to have another pair of Endura shorts that I couldn't stand - felt like wearing a nappy.  :sick:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Interesting thread.

I have three pairs of Perl Izumi Expert range shorts.

I need a couple of new pairs, as my rear has not been comfortable on longer rides, and I have started to use a cream.

I was wondering about Rapha, Assos or Castelli.

I'm 1.83m (6ft) and swing between 85-95kg. So if there is a consensus I'll be interested to follow this.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

+1 for Endura, but my favourites are Lusso, can't remember which ones I have though.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
i went through five assos shorts in recent years, they are comfy, but the lycra doesn't last - the behind becomes see-through after about a year of use (i'd like/expect a couple of years out of shorts). as the chamois is still good i keep using them indoors on a turbo.

My best shorts for long events are Endura FS260:
https://www.endurasport.com/FS260-Pro-Short/p/bE7118

The pad is a bit firmer than all my other shorts.  I'd recommend them.  Used them for TCR, IndyPac, etc with no issues.

I struggle to wear out shorts. I have some pairs that are 8+ years old that are still fine, including a Giordana pair that I bought ahead of PBP 2011 that I am wearing most weeks at the moment.  A few that are a bit older are good for turbo only, or under a tracksuit in winter, due to lycra decay.  But as often as not, it is the pad disintegrating rather than lycra decay, which forces them to retire

I've never had Assos shorts, but I have often passed people on the road wearing them who probably didn't realise how thin they were! 

The brand I like is Bio Racer. Like any brand, there are various price levels, but I find the top model best for me. Not always easy to find, but they have a UK website, and could point you to a retailer, or supply on line.
Caveat - my rear end is not your rear end,

PS you can always use your Assos under bibtights in winter

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Thanks folks, I have ordered two pairs of Endura from Wiggle who have my size in stock.

Dave C

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Thanks folks, I have ordered two pairs of Endura from Wiggle who have my size in stock.

Dave C

I hope they work for you. In my experience the logo peels off the legs in no time but the lycra is durable in exactly the way assos lycra is not. My main gripes were the endura didnt fit like a glove the way assos do and the pad was not comfy for me at all.

My best shorts for long events are Endura FS260:
https://www.endurasport.com/FS260-Pro-Short/p/bE7118

The pad is a bit firmer than all my other shorts.  I'd recommend them.  Used them for TCR, IndyPac, etc with no issues.

I struggle to wear out shorts. I have some pairs that are 8+ years old that are still fine, including a Giordana pair that I bought ahead of PBP 2011 that I am wearing most weeks at the moment.  A few that are a bit older are good for turbo only, or under a tracksuit in winter, due to lycra decay.  But as often as not, it is the pad disintegrating rather than lycra decay, which forces them to retire

I've never had Assos shorts, but I have often passed people on the road wearing them who probably didn't realise how thin they were!

Yeah ive seen assos wearers with bum cheeks literally hanging out of them, yet there are assos fanboys out there who drink the kool aid and wont hear a word against them

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
I have had good experience with Assos bibshorts - they are more comfortable than my club kit; I can ride a lot further in them on Audax events before the onset of saddle soreness.   They have, eventually, started to go transparent, but this after several years of use.  I do tend to reserve them for the longer events rather than everyday use, which might be a factor.  188cm (6'2") and 80 - 85Kg
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Another fan of Lusso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
I like Rapha Brevet bibs, but I’ve also been impressed with the DHB Aaron bibs at half the price of Rapha! My favourite-ever bibs were a Santini pair which were originally given away with a Cycling Weekly subscription. I bought two more pairs subsequently (about £100 each at the time, so it was a good giveaway!), but they don’t do that model any more and I haven’t been that impressed with their more recent products. I gave up with Assos many years ago.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Another fan of Lusso

+1

I have 2 pairs of Lusso Carbon, legs are a bit long to get that perfect cycling tan line but comfort and wear is perfect. I am currently looking to purchase a couple of pairs of lightweight bibshorts for indoor & hot summer day rides, planet x are out of stock so I'll go direct to China through Aliexpress.

Another fan of Lusso

+1

I have 2 pairs of Lusso Carbon, legs are a bit long to get that perfect cycling tan line but comfort and wear is perfect. I am currently looking to purchase a couple of pairs of lightweight bibshorts for indoor & hot summer day rides, planet x are out of stock so I'll go direct to China through Aliexpress.
Hah! I have the same tan line issue. I use Decathlon bib shorts for the turbo. Cheap enough to have a couple and they survive frequent washing.

what size in lusso carbons would you recommend, im 5 ft 9 inches, stocky build and wear size 34 trousers. I looked at their sizing chart and laughed. In my assos bibs mediums are a perfect fit for me btw

what size in lusso carbons would you recommend, im 5 ft 9 inches, stocky build and wear size 34 trousers. I looked at their sizing chart and laughed. In my assos bibs mediums are a perfect fit for me btw
Same shape due to years of physical work. I’m just shorter. I wear large Lusso stuff which is ideal but would be even better if I was as tall as you. Their legs are long as mentioned upthread. Good returns policy.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
I am also similar shape, 5'8" 80kg, 33" waist.
L fit well on me

Have to make sure with the lussos that they dont look like bermuda shorts or kevin keegan's england shorts from 1982

Another fan of Lusso

+1

check out the planet x website, their clubman bibs are cheap as chips and they are bombproof.