Author Topic: 2012 Hero Family Tree  (Read 5163 times)

2012 Hero Family Tree
« on: 07 August, 2012, 09:52:52 pm »
Follow me here

Sir Chris Hoy of Track-Riding said he was inspired to take up cycling after watching Sir Steve Redgrave of Rowing's golden exploits back in the early days, and he (Hoy) cited Redgrave as his hero when the two met after he won the Keirin. Similarly, Jason Kenny has called Hoy his hero and inspiration. I'm just wondering if there's anybody who's further down the food chain who considers Kenny as their hero. And so on.

On a parallel branch we have Laura Trott having her photo taken as a youngster with a (soon-to-be) Sir Bradley of Wiggins, no doubt thinking him her hero. Wiggins' oft-stated hero is of course Paul Weller. I think it would all be rather beautiful if somehow Redgrave appeared in Weller's hero-consciousness, thus making all roads eventually lead back to Redgrave. Are there any other sportsmen and women in this 'Lympix who have cited somebody as their hero?

And did Redgrave himself have a hero, making it 'Turtles all the Way Down'?

PS I haven't been smoking.

'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: 2012 Hero Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »
Wasn't there some reference to Ouiggeaux being influenced by Indurain?

Rutherford (long jump gold) said he'd changed his jumping style to emulate/imitate Karl Lewis and said that his results immediately improved, although there was some bit of technique which was still work in progress. He therefore hoped to improve his results further when he's got it right!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:25:14 pm »
The granddaughter of someone I was talking to tonight. She (13) is heading for the local velodrome on Saturday to investigate track cycling..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:38:50 pm »
I wonder whose image has lodged in her subconscious that's prompting her to investigate the track? Was she inspired by Laura or Vicky? Or Sir Chris? (Jason Kenny would be even better!!) Good for her anyway. I'm definately seeing more and more kids around with drop handlebar bikes. It's like the seventies and eighties all over again!

I'm looking for bonkers links between athletes to come up with some Grand Unified Family Tree. The Wiggins/Indurain one is good - I'd forgotten that one
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:50:18 pm »
And who was Indurain inspired by? Must have been someone of the Hinault generation, probably. Hinault in turn must have been inspired by... etc etc till we get all the way back to Maurice Garin. Or Léon Houa.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
Ah! Bang goes my theory that all roads lead to Redgrave then. Probably just a UK thing. Mind you, Laura Trott just gushed effusively over Vicky P on the Gaby Logan Show, and called her her hero. Maybe it's the slight over-use of the word 'hero' that's prompted me to start up this tongue-in-cheek thread

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2012, 11:21:47 pm »
I'd excuse Laura Trott, a good Essex gal, from not knowing that the word "hero" had a feminine. Sadly, a Grauniad journalist also made the same mistake the other day.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2012, 11:30:17 pm »
Heroine, actress and to a lesser extent waitress all seem to be going the way of poetess, authoress and various other now archaic feminine forms.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2012, 11:36:28 pm »
Heroine, actress and to a lesser extent waitress all seem to be going the way of poetess, authoress and various other now archaic feminine forms.

Unless, of course, you are Princess Michael of Kent.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 07 August, 2012, 11:47:38 pm »
I had to google her to discover why she is called that. I discovered that she is Kaiserinlich und Koniginlich.

And her mother is called Countess Maria Anna Carolina Franziska Walpurga Bernadette Szapáry von Muraszombath, Széchysziget und Szapár, which would seem to imply she is some sort of witchess.  :o

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2012, 12:13:10 am »
I haven't googled, so what's Walpurga? I'm gettting images of Nosferatu/Mel Brooks/Bride of frankenstein with the Dickie Davies highlights. And is that list of Princess Michael of Kent's ancestry Hungarian or Czech (I'm guessing you're Polish somewhere down the line, Cudzo). Koeniginlich - Female Kingling. Kaiserinlich - Female Chiefling - God, what with calling herself Princess Husband's Name of Somewhere Else, she really needs to get with the times.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2012, 12:32:17 am »
Walpurgis Night is a witchy version of May Day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

Princess Michael of Kent is from an Austro-Hungarian aristocratic family and those titles or names "Szapáry von Muraszombath, Széchysziget und Szapár," are Hungarian, with German grammar obviously. Kaiser means emperor, not god - like caesar and tsar/czar. I do like the word "kingling". Sounds ripe for a bloodthirsty revolution - "What shall we do with kingling?" "Burn her! And then put some big stuff on top."

Me, I'm not Polish myself but I lived in Poland for several years and somewhere along the line I may well have some Polish ancestry. Also Austro-Hungarian. But no aristocrats. Wouldn't rule out the witches though!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12 on: 08 August, 2012, 07:15:37 am »
I'd excuse Laura Trott, a good Essex gal...
Hasn't Ms Trott pointed out quite forcefully that she's from Hertfordshire (Cheshunt)?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2012, 07:20:43 am »
I'd excuse Laura Trott, a good Essex gal...
Hasn't Ms Trott pointed out quite forcefully that she's from Hertfordshire (Cheshunt)?
Born in Harlow, apparently.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:01:16 am »
I'd excuse Laura Trott, a good Essex gal, from not knowing that the word "hero" had a feminine. Sadly, a Grauniad journalist also made the same mistake the other day.

Much like the word 'actress', I think that 'heroine' is a word out of favour these days.  I don't use either of them any more.

Laura Trott, btw is as hard as NAILS.  She suffers from a stomach condition that means she quite often has to throw up at the end of a stressful event.  She had a spoke go through her face in a road race crash earlier this year, used her chin as a braking surface and because she was in Belgium at the time and couldn't get to a doctor to remove the stitches, did it herself in front of a mirror. 

I'd not be surprised if she's related to Teethgrinder :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:05:21 am »
I wondered whether the disappearance of the word "heroine" was as a result of its narcotics-related homophone.

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:13:39 am »
Laura Trott, btw is as hard as NAILS.  She suffers from a stomach condition that means she quite often has to throw up at the end of a stressful event.  She had a spoke go through her face in a road race crash earlier this year, used her chin as a braking surface and because she was in Belgium at the time and couldn't get to a doctor to remove the stitches, did it herself in front of a mirror. 

Wow. That's quite some story, I think I just became a fan.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:15:01 am »

And did Redgrave himself have a hero, making it 'Turtles all the Way Down'?

Mark Spitz and jack beresford apparently.  Neither unimpressive...

« Reply #18 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:30:17 am »
I wondered whether the disappearance of the word "heroine" was as a result of its narcotics-related homophone.

I think it's cos it's just not really necessary to distinguish between male and female actors/heros...

I think Laura Trott just became my hero after Charlotte's post...bloody hell.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #19 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:31:04 am »
Both Chris Hoy and Jason Kenny referred to vomiting as being a regular result of their training programme. That's not to mention writhing around in pain as the lactic acid burns its way through your muscles.

Sounds utterly bonkers to me. Cycling's supposed to be fun.

« Reply #20 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:31:53 am »
I'd not be surprised if she's related to Teethgrinder :D

:thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:39:14 am »
Both Chris Hoy and Jason Kenny referred to vomiting as being a regular result of their training programme.

If I’m honest, I very nearly vommed going up Shooters hill on a heavy over-geared hybrid on my first FNRttC. I only managed to stop myself because I didn’t want to become the person who turned up at her first ACF ride and vommed everywhere.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #22 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:40:50 am »
Both Chris Hoy and Jason Kenny referred to vomiting as being a regular result of their training programme.

If I’m honest, I very nearly vommed going up Shooters hill on a heavy over-geared hybrid on my first FNRttC. I only managed to stop myself because I didn’t want to become the person who turned up at her first ACF ride and vommed everywhere.  ;D
I'm glad you didn't when we were on the tandem! ;D

« Reply #23 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:42:31 am »
Apparantly Cav vommed all over his rainbow jersey all the way up one of the mountain stages in the tour...

Edit: Not trying to detract from LT's condition...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #24 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:42:49 am »
That was a whole year later and I was slightly better at hills!  :P