Author Topic: Another Newhaven-Dieppe-Newhaven ferry thread  (Read 12654 times)

Phil W

Re: Another Newhaven-Dieppe-Newhaven ferry thread
« Reply #50 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:50:29 pm »
Hello,

Finished my booking Ferry Thursday night 23:00 with Bike. No Cabin unless someone can offer a space. But probably too late.

Just need to plan the route down any ideas?

See https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111960.0, route sheet and GPX are both available.

« Reply #51 on: 27 June, 2019, 10:15:52 am »
 :thumbsup: thanks, will check it out. I take it a few people will be on the same route?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: 27 June, 2019, 07:51:19 pm »
Yes, Buddies sounds about right for the post PBP 2015 ferry breakfast with partygoers and bouncers. Seem to remember the cafe had glass panels round the outside of the seating area.  Was it Brian that was also with us?

Yes Phil, you, me and Brian Taylor [not riding this time]. One of the all-time great breakfasts, only topped by the full Scottish breakfast, with haggis and black pudding, in Longtown on the last LEL. [After Brampton ran out of food.] What made the former extra special, apart from the bleary-eyed clubbers, bouncers and taxi drivers and the sunny early morning light, was the young French waitress who could have been straight out of 'Allo'Allo. I really appreciated her broken English, after a week of trying to resurrect my rusty schoolboy French.

Phil W

« Reply #53 on: 02 July, 2019, 06:43:41 pm »
:thumbsup: thanks, will check it out. I take it a few people will be on the same route?

Yeah, people are lazy, and few others plotted a different route last time. So we rode together as a group. These Thursday night sailing bunch may be a different breed altogether of course.

« Reply #54 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:11:17 pm »
I've plumped for the earlier ferry about 17:00ish this year and gets me to Dieppe around 23:00ish. In 2015, I found I got no sleep on the ferry thanks to people talking, laughing and wandering about all night that I arrived in France shattered after being up all day and driving down to Newhaven, up all night and then drove down to Vernon somehow. At one point, some bloke stood up and told a big gang of girls and women to shut up which was quiet amusing but it just made them start laughing and tittering for ages. This year, I can stay awake on the crossing, get to Dieppe, park up somewhere quiet, few hours sleep and then a leisurely drive to the hotel from just after dawn.

Phil W

« Reply #55 on: 15 July, 2019, 03:11:20 pm »
I think having a cabin will make quite a difference as I found reclining seats useless for the purpose of sleeping and the floor was dirty. Just need to make sure don't stay around the ferry bar area drinking Guinness.

Phil W

« Reply #56 on: 28 July, 2019, 11:32:01 pm »
The meeting pub for Thu evening.

Flying Fish
Denton Rd, Newhaven BN9 0QB
01273 515440
https://goo.gl/maps/nrf3DyBLtqYVAcsn6

« Reply #57 on: 29 July, 2019, 05:59:28 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #58 on: 30 July, 2019, 12:34:40 pm »
Flying Fish
01273 515440

I will be there, riding down from London leaving around midday, anyone else riding down?

Phil W

« Reply #59 on: 31 July, 2019, 05:50:39 pm »
Flying Fish
01273 515440

I will be there, riding down from London leaving around midday, anyone else riding down?

See https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=112847.0.  Diesel defo, me possibly. Will decide nearer time. Could be meet at Three Bridges if you are passing that way around that time.

« Reply #60 on: 08 August, 2019, 02:04:08 pm »
I'm on the 17:30 Newhaven Dieppe crossing on the Thursday. I'm up for joining the ride to Ramboulies.
There's a shelter somewhere along the Velo Vert route that has benches for me to sleep on, so I'll ride to there for some sleep while I wait for everyone unless I find something better on the way there.

Phil W

« Reply #61 on: 08 August, 2019, 02:33:29 pm »
Plan is to have breakfast at Neufchatel en Bray which is 37km from Dieppe ferry port.  So if you stop before there we will hopefully find / spot you.  From memory we reached there around 7am in 2015 but does depend on ferry timings due to any tides. I will try not to bypass passport control this time :facepalm: 

GPX of the route (with potential stops marked) I have planned can be downloaded from https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcw8wt7m1zh9orn/Dieppe%20-%20Rambouillet.gpx?dl=1

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #62 on: 08 August, 2019, 04:26:23 pm »
i wonder whether it is worth going all the way to rambouillet on friday - will there be any gathering, meetup etc?

« Reply #63 on: 08 August, 2019, 05:11:06 pm »
i wonder whether it is worth going all the way to rambouillet on friday - will there be any gathering, meetup etc?

That may depend on what time your ferry arrives in Dieppe. I'm on the Thursday night crossing, arriving 05:00 local time Friday; so am planning on riding the ~190km to Rambouillet.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #64 on: 08 August, 2019, 05:32:22 pm »
It's very easy country.  Starting so early you'd be kicking your heels if you tried to split it over two days.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #65 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:16:35 am »

That may depend on what time your ferry arrives in Dieppe. I'm on the Thursday night crossing, arriving 05:00 local time Friday; so am planning on riding the ~190km to Rambouillet.

i'm on the same ferry, i was thinking how to better spend friday - could easily be in rambouillet by 2pm. alternatively, ride straight to b&b (not in rambouillet) and have a long rest/sleep there.

« Reply #66 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:32:41 am »
This is why I’m on the afternoon ferry on Wednesday and staying in Dieppe. The day after the overnight ferry has been absolutely miserable both times I’ve done it.

« Reply #67 on: 09 August, 2019, 11:56:11 am »
I just booked whichever ferry was cheapest. I was going to go via Holland, but that would have cost £120 or so more. But I reckon what I ended up with is much better. Very early start and ride to Newhaven. Dinner, beer and relaxation on the ferry. A short night ride then a better and longer sleep than I'd have got on the ferry before a slow ride with lots of breaks and cafes in good company to get to the start.