Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135212 times)

S2L

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020
« Reply #675 on: 02 April, 2020, 12:08:44 pm »
On a clear still night in July/August the temperature in those northern Welsh valleys will be in single digits.  Add that to a long descent when fatigued and you will still need some warm weather clothing.  And that's if it doesn't decide to rain...

When I did it, I got to Kings at 10 PM and left at 5 AM... motoring a bit more and with 9 kg of bike as opposed to 12, I can probably get to Kings before it gets dark and at 5 AM is already light... a long sleeved merino base layer and a light windproof should be enough in early July

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #676 on: 02 April, 2020, 02:39:30 pm »
On a clear still night in July/August the temperature in those northern Welsh valleys will be in single digits.  Add that to a long descent when fatigued and you will still need some warm weather clothing.  And that's if it doesn't decide to rain...

When I did it, I got to Kings at 10 PM and left at 5 AM... motoring a bit more and with 9 kg of bike as opposed to 12, I can probably get to Kings before it gets dark and at 5 AM is already light... a long sleeved merino base layer and a light windproof should be enough in early July
On my first attempt I was in a bnb in penrhyndeudraeth between 10 and 5, just squashed into king's before closing.  So in July I could ride the whole thing in daylight,  but just because it will be light at 5 doesn't mean it will be warm.  Takes a couple of hours to warm up.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #677 on: 02 April, 2020, 03:11:45 pm »

On my first attempt I was ...

On my first attempt, I got to the hut in Menai with a broken gear cable and the bulb had blown on my dynamo light
On the way back to Kings I rode with someone that had a HID light which scared the owls
When I got to the woods on the way to Tintern, I was hallucinating tigers in the green foliage
I finished about half ten at night

« Reply #678 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:23:35 pm »
On my only attempt I got back to King's some time after 7am having been overtaken by Mr Spooner somewhere near Trawsfynydd.

Finished in time though (thanks to it being a non-BRM year).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #679 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:43:55 pm »
I posted this doodle I did today in another thread, but it really belongs here.
The BCM 600 was the first 600 I did ( back in 2012 ) and so I hold a certain affection for it.

Barmouth Bridge, from the BCM 600:

Barmouth Bridge by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #680 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:58:01 pm »
I really like that :thumbsup:

« Reply #681 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:01:06 am »

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #682 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:47:27 pm »
One more, I promise I'll stop now!

Again, from the BCM 600, Kings YHA.

King YHA - Dolgellau by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

S2L

« Reply #683 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:25:41 am »
 :thumbsup:

Davef

« Reply #684 on: 04 April, 2020, 05:57:06 pm »

On my first attempt I was in a bnb in penrhyndeudraeth between 10 and 5, just squashed into king's before closing.  So in July I could ride the whole thing in daylight,  but just because it will be light at 5 doesn't mean it will be warm.  Takes a couple of hours to warm up.
Did you do it last year too ? If so I think I might have been chatting to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #685 on: 04 April, 2020, 10:49:23 pm »
I posted this doodle I did today in another thread, but it really belongs here.
The BCM 600 was the first 600 I did ( back in 2012 ) and so I hold a certain affection for it.

Barmouth Bridge, from the BCM 600:

Barmouth Bridge by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Last time I did it was in about 2011 as I now live on the wrong side of the channel to do the BCM. This drawing just makes me nostalgic and feel like taking a ferry as soon as this Coronavirus madness ends!
Chief cat entertainer.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #686 on: 05 April, 2020, 05:24:27 pm »

Did you do it last year too ? If so I think I might have been chatting to you.

Yes I did it last year  the proper easy,  sleeping at king's for 2.5 hours, with 4 hours less sleep than previously,  i was only 2 hours earlier back at Chepstow. It wasn't worth it.

I don't think it was due to less fitness as arrival at menai was almost exactly the same both times.  It also felt less safe as i had major dozies after the breakfast control.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #687 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:03:11 am »

You should do a BCM "colour it in" page for Arrivée

« Reply #688 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:41:14 pm »

You should do a BCM "colour it in" page for Arrivée

Paint by numbers.

Everything numbered: 1

1. Rain.

« Reply #689 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:00:48 pm »
Sat 2100: Notionally well on the way back towards King's now. It's been a lovely day and looks like a great sunset. Cooling now (but staying mild for those needing to ride more of the night or those that are booted out of bed in the early hours). Slight headwind now and overnight. Westerly setting in for Sunday so should be OK, with a little sun here and there.

« Reply #690 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:07:01 pm »
I'm in a notional hotel in Harlech. Pan-fried mullet with beurre noisette and pommes de terre fondants nestling in my tummy, washed down with several pints of sauvignon blanc. There is a gentle breeze trickling through the volet windows as I settle into a warm bath, resting my toes on the gold taps.

Thinking about all you suckers, struggling back over Snowdonia barely fuelled by powdered soup and cheap rice-pudding, all pale and sweaty and kidding yourselves with the false bonhommie with whatever pungent weirdo you picked up on the road to share your misery.

Choose life. Choose tactical abandon.

« Reply #691 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:07:44 pm »
Still 3 hours away from Menai.

#lanternerougelife

Davef

« Reply #692 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:21:20 pm »
picking up chips from Harlech kebab shop southward bound.

« Reply #693 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:23:37 pm »
Not going over Trawsfynydd then? Surely the chip shop in Harlech was closed, going through at 4pm.

« Reply #694 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:28:07 pm »
Fond memories of the Menai Bridge control. 

Neatly bearded fellow in stripy shirt serving cyclists at the counter (in the church hall in earlier days).  "Are you weally fwom Exetah?"  I replied in the affirmative.  "I'm the new vicar here, we're glad to have you among us."

Ifor, on duty stamping cards, greets me with "Nice to see an old-timer!", chats away in Wenglish, stamps the card, continues chatting, glances at card.  "Oh dear!" [what's the matter, Ifor?] "Oh dear!  What should I do?" [what is it, Ifor?]  "I've stamped it upside-down, what should I do?"  [It's fine, Ifor, don't worry]  "Oh dear, oh I'm sorry, are you sure?"... etc.

Davef

« Reply #695 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:29:25 pm »
Chip shop closes at 8pm. Kebab shop (new for 2019) stays open until 11pm. It does not add much going the coastal route retracing your steps, plus you get to go over bridge at Bermo a second time.

« Reply #696 on: 17 May, 2020, 12:03:11 am »
I'm in a notional hotel in Harlech. Pan-fried mullet with beurre noisette and pommes de terre fondants nestling in my tummy, washed down with several pints of sauvignon blanc. There is a gentle breeze trickling through the volet windows as I settle into a warm bath, resting my toes on the gold taps.

Thinking about all you suckers, struggling back over Snowdonia barely fuelled by powdered soup and cheap rice-pudding, all pale and sweaty and kidding yourselves with the false bonhommie with whatever pungent weirdo you picked up on the road to share your misery.

Ahhh, when I rode BC in 2014 I cooked myself to Llanberis and felt so rough at the petrol station just after there that I decided to DNF and instead found a fantastic b&b down the road, the owner of which kept the kitchen open in the pub across the road so that I could have steak, chips and a couple of pints of beer. After a superb night’s sleep, I rode to Bangor station and got the train to Hereford, which was a nice journey. I then rode from Hereford to Chepstow, stopping at Tintern station for a cream tea, and passing a few of the riders that had ridden through the night. Disappointed that I DNF’d and haven’t tried it since (successfully completed WCW600 a few weeks later), but a great weekend with fantastic weather nonetheless :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #697 on: 17 May, 2020, 01:32:44 am »

I'm at home. 40 bottles of already-paid-for damn fine wine surround me. Several bikes await a short ride in the afternoon tomorrow. I also have organic peanut butter sarnies. And sunglasses (natch). Your call.

« Reply #698 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:10:44 pm »
2019, 9pm - I've just reached the bottom of the Llanberris Pass & I'm looking up tracing the route with a mix of awe and trepidation, this is my first time riding BCM & only my 2nd 600.

The climb went okay, but by Menai my stomach was rebelling and I had a horrendous ride through the night back to Kings where I was ready to throw in the towel. Fortunately the experienced hands manning the control suggest I have a sleep then see how I felt & put me straight into an empty bed. It worked as I woke up feeling well enough to at least give it a go and arrived back in Chepstow well inside time.

A great memory :)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #699 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:54:43 pm »
2017. 9.45pm    - I have another 15 minutes before the final control closes. It's been an awful day. I overslept at Kings and have been chasing the clock ever since. I wasted a lot of time in Llandidrod Wells trying to find the control. But there's only another 4 or 5 km to go and I'm sure I'll make it in time.

I'm going downhill, very fast. It's been windy; there are plenty of fallen twigs on the road but I have a cracking front light and can avoid them. Then I see flashes of light. There's a car coming up the hill. It rounds the bend and the driver either doesn't see me or doesn't give a ****. Either way, I am blinded by powerful lights on full beam.  I flounder, veering off the road, and 'bang'. I hit something hard and the front tyre deflates in an instant.

Operating with only the light of a head torch, I establish that my tyre is split. Fortunately, I have a spare, and with as little faffing as I can manage after 590-odd km, I replace both tube and tyre. I think I can still make it if I put the hammer down.

Oh joy. My Garmin dies.  Can I remember the way back to the community centre?  After all, I have ridden it a few times before.  I'm fine until just after the roundabout. Then I get confused among the maze of identical-looking residential streets. Then I see a sign for the centre. It's going to be tight.

I breeze into the car park at about 10.05.  The organiser has already packed up and is getting ready to leave. I hand over my brevet card and explain the reason for my lateness and hope that my ride might still be validated.

It wasn't.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?