Author Topic: March Madness - 200k & 100k from Tewkesbury, March 7th  (Read 2764 times)

March Madness - 200k & 100k from Tewkesbury, March 7th
« on: 14 February, 2020, 10:08:54 am »
A few places still available for this 200km Spring Mr. Pickwick classic. Tackling the Malverns before breakfast. To & through the Forest of Dean for lunch. And an afternoon in the Severn Vale. Fine views throughout the ride.

This early spring event is proving to be very popular with both riders that wish to keep their points tally ticking-over, and those that are AAA points chasing. The AAA bit comes early in the ride, so there's plenty of time to recover, and make good progress on easy roads/lanes for the finish of the ride. Good quality controls used throughout, all have experience of handling AUK events, hot and cold food available at each control. A few km of off-road sections (either NCRs or SUSTRANS approved, and these can be avoided if wished). Only one major urban complex on the ride, and this is passed-through virtually traffic-free. The finish is at The Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury, there's plenty of room to park the bike, and again there's a good selection of food and re-hydration is possible until 11pm. GPS routes and comprehensive event details supplied to all riders on receipt of entry, reasonable all day parking at start, free parking at finish after 17:30 - should you want to move your car after you complete the ride and wait for any lift-sharers.

For those not wanting the full distance, or have cycling partner that prefers a slightly shorter cycle, there's Benjamin Allen's 100km alternative, for the first 60km, this event follows the same route as the 200. So you enjoy an 11's stop at a traditional tea room at Bromyard. And then diverts from the Wye valley at Mordiford heading Ledbury for a stop at Chez Pascal, a traditional French cyclist friendly cafe. The final section is a quiet back to Tewkesbury. Arrivee being where Mr. Pickwick and Benjamin Allen drank too much madiera and ale, and fell asleep.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: March Madness - 200k & 100k from Tewkesbury, March 7th
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2020, 01:30:40 pm »
Lovely ride. Last 50 miles is very benign.

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2020, 07:32:56 am »
Yes, another cracking Mark Rigby ride, hopefully we will have left the storms behind by then.

« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2020, 01:03:53 pm »
hello Mark,
I entered for this way back in September. Should I have received route/event details at that time or are you planning to email something out in the next week or so?
Looking forward to it  :)
Best wishes
Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:32:46 pm »
Yes, another cracking Mark Rigby ride, hopefully we will have left the storms behind by then.

...and the floods ::-)

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:25:42 pm »
hello Mark,
I entered for this way back in September. Should I have received route/event details at that time or are you planning to email something out in the next week or so?
Looking forward to it  :)
Best wishes
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl.

For the past couple of weeks the rather damp conditions have made it very difficult to do route checks, not only to check route - but actually getting to the route. Checks were completed over the week end, and I'm just putting their fishing edits in place. All details for both rides should be with entrants tomorrow.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:28:25 pm »

...and the floods ::-)

Being an AAA event, you're more likely to be in the clouds rather than the waves.

« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2020, 07:51:55 pm »

Hi Cheryl.

For the past couple of weeks the rather damp conditions have made it very difficult to do route checks, not only to check route - but actually getting to the route. Checks were completed over the week end, and I'm just putting their fishing edits in place. All details for both rides should be with entrants tomorrow.

Many thanks Mark - appreciate the lengths you have to go to as an organiser!

« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2020, 09:14:59 pm »
Benjamin Allen's March Madness, (110km) ride details are now with rider's registered email.

I'm now working on Mr. Pickwick's March Madness,  the 200km event - in all honesty it's likely to be tomorrow before everyone gets the info. Sorry for the delay, but I want to get as much info out in one mailing, and leave any last minute updates as posts here on the YACF forum.

There's quite a bit to distribute, a lot more attachments - the usual route sheets, GPS file and details highlighting route diverts if necessary.

« Reply #9 on: 29 February, 2020, 04:18:19 pm »
Got it Mark, thanks and it looks a drier week so hopefully should be fine

« Reply #10 on: 29 February, 2020, 07:19:17 pm »
I was on the M5 on Friday and the info signs were displaying a message that the M48 bridge would be closed on the 8th and 9th of March. I cannot find anything to confirm this on the Highways England web site or Twitter feed.

I am sure that Mark will be on top of this but if anyone can provide any links to sources with more information I would be grateful to see it.

Co-incidently this week I watched a documentary about the building of the bridge - very good if you have any interest in engineering - it is available on iPlayer at the link below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0803m60

« Reply #11 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:13:08 pm »
The cycle path is (nearly) always open.

« Reply #12 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:50:53 pm »
The ride is on the 7th, a day before the planned road closure.

Having checked with both the Severn Bridge and highway authorities, neither had plans to close non-motorway traffic.

Sometimes, one of the non-motorised crossings is closed, so just use the other.

« Reply #13 on: 29 February, 2020, 11:09:29 pm »
 :-[ doh!!!

I just assumed it was a weekend closure.

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2020, 12:05:02 pm »
And the fold gates have closed

See you all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Saturday morning.

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2020, 09:31:55 pm »
Weather looks ok for it !! Dry but a gusty south wind but means flat second half will zoom it !

« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2020, 04:01:12 pm »
UPDATES

Flood water. has steadily dropped for the past week or so, and is continuing to fall, currently water levels are probably 600 - 900mm below it's recent peak. With no or little rain in the catchment area recently, there is no reason to expect further local flooding.

Road access, is currently normal, with no access issues for car drivers or cyclists entering or departing Tewkesbury.

Car parks, the Vineyards car park, Rails Meadow car park are both currently out of service.
Oldbury Road, Bishops Walk, Station Road, Spring Gardens, Gloucester Road and St. Mary's lane car parks are all open. Please do not arrive at St. Mary's lane car park a few minutes before ride depart and expect to find spaces.
The Royal Hop  Pole car park is patron and short stay only.

Route issues, On stage one, Longdon Marsh has stretches of water along it, I suggest that once you cross the River Severn, you stay on the A438 and follow, then eventually turn right at the T, you will soon migrate back on to original route. Taking the "Pinfield manoeuvre" is not recommended and will result in wet feet.

Potential divert on stage two, is dry, and normal route can be followed.

B4224 road closure between Mordiford and Fownhope is still in place, route sheet and GPS already reflect this.

« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2020, 06:08:44 pm »
Thanks Mark, very timely and helpful information, as always.

« Reply #18 on: 06 March, 2020, 09:10:44 am »
B4224 road closure between Mordiford and Fownhope is still in place, route sheet and GPS already reflect this.

Thanks very much for the info Mark, I've updated my route accordingly :thumbsup:
Unless I have the wrong file/am misinterpreting something, I believe the GPX file does take you down the B4224 between Mordiford and Fownhope.

« Reply #19 on: 06 March, 2020, 12:43:30 pm »
ROUTE SHEET TABS.

Please all note, some of you may have received a route sheet with several work sheets. Please use/print the tabs indented "Stage1&3" and "Stage2&4" only.

Thank you.

GPS file unaffected.

« Reply #20 on: 06 March, 2020, 10:07:14 pm »
Thanks Mark. On rereading the instructions, this: "Please bring a pen with you to record your works of fiction to info control questions." Beautiful turn of phrase ;)