Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 134876 times)

Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #826 on: 22 March, 2024, 08:04:12 am »
Good News/Bad News.
The shooting estates have had decades of warning to clean up their industry with little effect.
The sooner the law is enforced and estates start fearing for their licenses the better.
Faint hope of it happening in England.

What is never mentioned about heather burning is the devastation it causes to overwintering reptiles - all on the protected list.
It is illegal to disturb an adder's hibernaculum, but apparently not to incinerate them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #827 on: 02 April, 2024, 09:15:11 pm »
My Good Pal Penelope has a squirrel that occasionally visits her garden. Being Not Of Sound Mind, she feeds the little fecker, but it isn't always that receptive and on occasions buggers off when she puts some peanuts out.

The other day she noticed that after the squirrel had gone, leaving quite a few nuts behind, some magpies turned up and took the peanuts and buried them around her lawn.

After the magpies had gone, some crows turned up, unearthed the nuts and ate them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #828 on: 06 April, 2024, 05:05:56 pm »
Hedgepig in the garden in Monday morning as I went out for an early shift, and red kite overhead as I caught the bus today. Local biodiversity is looking up!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i