Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 90726 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #225 on: 06 May, 2021, 01:30:27 pm »
I think that's more an illustration of why shared-use is a terrible idea, than anything about the scooters specifically.  Are bicycles allowed to use the pavements?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #227 on: 12 May, 2021, 02:16:46 pm »
I also noticed this:
Gómez believes that the new rules will give local councils a tool by which they can consolidate the so-called “80-20” model – 80% of vehicles should circulate on 20% of the streets, and vice versa.
So, restrict most traffic to main roads.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #228 on: 19 May, 2021, 08:22:22 pm »
An innovation:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #229 on: 19 May, 2021, 08:39:26 pm »
I like this, because there definitely are places where Vois are left all over the pavement quite obstructively (one of those places being a cycle-gap in a strategic road closure I often use). But it does depend where the "scooter rack" (does it have an official name?) is left. It looks as if the rack itself could easily block some of the places I'm thinking of.

« Reply #230 on: 19 May, 2021, 10:05:01 pm »
We're getting e-scooters in That London soon, so expect the media to suddenly discover they exist.

Or at least get very very excited indeed about them.

« Reply #231 on: 20 May, 2021, 03:28:03 pm »
In Oxford there are just have little painted boxes on the pavement where they are supposed to be left.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #232 on: 20 May, 2021, 05:20:36 pm »
In Oxford there are just have little painted boxes on the pavement where they are supposed to be left.

The RNIB reckon this works fine for cane and guide dog users.  It's about predictability.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #233 on: 23 May, 2021, 07:21:34 pm »
An innovation:

Further refinement:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #234 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:29:23 pm »
Ooh, very posh! And the side boards actually do serve a purpose in making it clear you can dock on both sides. Unfortunately not many pavements are wide enough.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #235 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:33:37 pm »
I assume they're for the benefit of cane users, as they make the shape of the dock more obvious and consistent irrespective of how many scooters are present.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #236 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:33:58 pm »
Ooh, very posh! And the side boards actually do serve a purpose in making it clear you can dock on both sides. Unfortunately not many pavements are wide enough.

Stick it in a parking bay then...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #237 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:00:22 pm »
Good point about cane users.

And semi-good point about parking bay. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still a bit wide for that and perhaps more significantly, it restricts them to places where there is on-street parking.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #238 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:35:57 pm »

Stick it in a parking bay then...

Given that it's still not bolted down, that's an excellent suggestion.   :demon:

« Reply #239 on: 07 June, 2021, 01:06:11 pm »
E-scooters are all over the media today. Where I live there is a simple painted section not he pavement, which is supposedly a place to deposit e-scooters after hire. Let's be realistic - who is going to hire one of these things then cart it off to the nearest marked bit of pavement? Cahp on the telly said that the 'app' at end of hire would detect you were not at a drop off point and show you the nearest one.
Me, I think the things will still be left littering the pavements.

« Reply #240 on: 07 June, 2021, 01:08:30 pm »
We have the painted boxes on the pavement in my part of Oxford. The scooters seem to be mostly in those boxes ever since they appeared.
I guess they could refuse to let your hire period end (and thus continue to bill you) until the scooter was in the right place if it was a real problem.

ian

« Reply #241 on: 07 June, 2021, 01:27:52 pm »
E-scooters are all over the media today. Where I live there is a simple painted section not he pavement, which is supposedly a place to deposit e-scooters after hire. Let's be realistic - who is going to hire one of these things then cart it off to the nearest marked bit of pavement? Cahp on the telly said that the 'app' at end of hire would detect you were not at a drop off point and show you the nearest one.
Me, I think the things will still be left littering the pavements.

They'd have to find space amongst the cars, of course.

I wonder which of those pavement blocking vehicles will incite the most ire?

(not that I agree with leaving scooters in the middle of the pavement, but agreed that's what will probably happen in the interregnum before they end up in the canal, this is Britain, we can't have nice things.)

« Reply #242 on: 07 June, 2021, 03:55:07 pm »
the new sundry variants of gps type electric assisted bikes seem to be left wherever they are finished with. In the few marked out spots where four or five are lined up on kick stands, it's normal to seem them all knocked over, I assume on purpose. The Boris Bikes work, the others ones not so much.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #243 on: 07 June, 2021, 04:09:44 pm »
GPS type?

« Reply #244 on: 07 June, 2021, 04:45:22 pm »
I think they have a gps or some sort of tracking thing on them so the people that run the scheme can show the location to customers on the app or recover them themselves. Lord knows I have seen them left in some odd places.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #245 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:47:53 pm »
I believe there's research saying even geo-docks work alongside technology for avoiding the biggest disability accessibility issues with scooters which is them being scattered unpredictably and or stupidly on pavements.

My understanding is that the GPS means that the hire company can tell if not near a dock. Where GPS isn't great non-docked scooters can be manually reported by members of the public or the van people who charge up batteries etc.

I think Voi gives users 1 warning then fines them £25 for bad parking or not using a dock.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #246 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:55:27 pm »
Speaking of docks, I noted several of those Voi docks in the city centre at the weekend.  (Also, a proliferation of Beryl bike docks.)

« Reply #247 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:58:30 pm »
The Liverpool Voi scheme gives you a £1 refund if you leave the scooter in an approved parking area. These are the docking areas for the old Citybike hire scheme which seems semi defunct.
Aren’t other cities doing this ?   We still get the things left everywhere though .
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #248 on: 07 June, 2021, 08:38:50 pm »
The Voi hire scooters here mostly get left in little clumps, which I presume are the designated parking areas. I suppose there's some sort of fine for leaving them elsewhere. However, that doesn't mean they're not left in a way that causes a problem; on the designated street corner but scattered across the width of the pavement or left at odd angles. Must be very difficult for cane users, chair users and pram pushers. Sometimes also a problem for bike riders, when they're left in rather than adjacent to a cycle gap. I've yet to see one of those neat-looking docks here.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #249 on: 07 June, 2021, 09:47:32 pm »
Something I've noticed with the scooters is that on wider pavements, they sometimes get left in a little circle, kind of like growing mushrooms.

I assume what happens is a group of people arrive together, stop facing each other, and collectively faff with their phones to end the hire period.  Leaving a little clump of immobile scooters.