Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 91187 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #175 on: 29 December, 2020, 05:22:04 pm »
Asked my son if any of his friends had tried the hire scooters. Yes, two of them had. And the requirement for a driving licence? One of them has a provisional licence and they just used that for both scooters. So if the system accepts the same licence for two different scooters at the same time, presumably it doesn't check them at all. I wonder if you could use, say, a bus pass? Anyway, they were reported to be good fun but at £12 an hour they eat up too much of a teenager's finances.

I've also seen evidence that 400W is enough to maintain a reasonable speed two-up.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #176 on: 29 December, 2020, 05:28:05 pm »
Also, long term hire for £35 a month, with no geographical limits on usage.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-baths-e-scooter-scheme-4839011
The new Bristol electric scooter trial is about to launch a second trial which would allow people to take them home and effectively ‘own’ them.
It is to be the second stage of the pilot scheme which allows electric scooters to be legally ridden on the roads of Bristol and Bath.
One big difference with the lease scheme, which is planned to go live in the New Year, is that it seems likely will be no restriction on areas that leased e-scooters can be ridden, given it is open to anyone in the West of England Combined Authority region.
Voi emailed all the people who have signed up to the app already, asking for an expression of interest in the lease scheme, which is set to cost £35 a month.

For that fee, people leasing an e-scooter will get their own to take home. The would be responsible for charging it each night, but Voi would be responsible for maintenance.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #177 on: 29 December, 2020, 05:37:42 pm »
That's comparable to the Brompton-as-a-service service.   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #178 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:05:00 pm »
We've got one of those as well, strategically placed just outside the main (or not main, but busiest) exit from Temple Meads. No way of knowing (as far as I'm aware) when you see someone on a Brompton, whether they've bought or hired it, though. But thumbs up to Brompton for showing people in non-cycling clothes and non-helmets (whereas Voi show users in helmets even though virtually nobody actually wears one while riding them).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #179 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:15:25 pm »
We've got one of those as well, strategically placed just outside the main (or not main, but busiest) exit from Temple Meads. No way of knowing (as far as I'm aware) when you see someone on a Brompton, whether they've bought or hired it, though.

This is a new thing for long-term leasing, in addition to the existing BromptonDock daily hire scheme.  Dunno if it's the same bikes - I think they are distributing them through the same docks - but the BromptonDock ones have a specific colour scheme that varies by region.  (The Birmingham ones are a lovely purple, which I asked, and wasn't available as a colour option on a purchased Brompton.)

As for helmets, there are Voi adverts telling you to "Protect your head" running on the local electronic road-user-distraction boards.

« Reply #180 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »
We've got one of those as well, strategically placed just outside the main (or not main, but busiest) exit from Temple Meads. No way of knowing (as far as I'm aware) when you see someone on a Brompton, whether they've bought or hired it, though

The rental ones have a conspicuous sticker on the main tube telling you how to unfold them step by step.

(they hasn't started doing that the first time I rented one, and spent a load of time failing to raise the seatpost)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #181 on: 09 January, 2021, 02:09:20 pm »
Watching the scooterboys going past my window, I can't help wonder how they don't get frostbite.  It's 21C in here an my fingers are cold.  It's 2C out there, and they're whizzing around without any gloves.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #182 on: 09 January, 2021, 02:13:02 pm »
They are warmed by the happiness of personal mobility.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #183 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:12:00 pm »
Watching the scooterboys going past my window, I can't help wonder how they don't get frostbite.  It's 21C in here an my fingers are cold.  It's 2C out there, and they're whizzing around without any gloves.

I see Dutch people cycling around without gloves on, and I'm using my winter gloves, and have considered putting on my "It's really fucking cold" gloves. I ended up putting liner gloves on inside my winter gloves last week because it was so cold, tho not quite full on "It's really fucking cold" gloves territory.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #184 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:30:15 pm »
I've got chilblains on my knuckles from a 20km ride in my "winter going to the shops" gloves[1] last week.

[1] Well-worn Aldi gloves from some years ago.  Admirably durable, easy to get on and off, moderately warm when dry and completely hopeless when wet.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #185 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:35:28 pm »
I've got chilblains on my knuckles from a 20km ride in my "winter going to the shops" gloves[1] last week.

[1] Well-worn Aldi gloves from some years ago.  Admirably durable, easy to get on and off, moderately warm when dry and completely hopeless when wet.

My winter gloves are altura night vision waterproof ones. Which are pretty good, they kept my hands warm yesterday at -2°C. But the waterproof thing is a bit of a misnomer. Yes they stop water getting from one side of the glove to the other, but that seems to only work one way. They fill up with water very easily, and then you can never get the bloody stuff out...

When it gets really cold I break out these:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/hi-vis-mitt/

Don't need them often, usually 1-2 rides a year, but when I do, I am exceptionally grateful to have them.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #186 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:48:07 pm »
Kim, I know you've complained of cold feet on the bent which warm up as soon as you stop and put them down; a circulation problem. Probably the same thing affecting your hands. My hands get cold if I sit for too long in classic "laptop on knees" position for a similar reason.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #187 on: 09 January, 2021, 06:18:18 pm »

J

Maybe a daft question, but how do you change gear?  I've tried mitts but found that I can't move the shifters easily.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #188 on: 09 January, 2021, 06:34:05 pm »

J

Maybe a daft question, but how do you change gear?  I've tried mitts but found that I can't move the shifters easily.

On my old tiagra mechanical system, i used my fingers. There's enough dexterity in the mitts to do so.

Now I have Di2 i have two options. Using my thumb on the base bar, or slap the button on the upright of my aero bars. I have made sure my setup works in event of reduced dexterity due to cold or distance. One of the problems for some ultra racers is the claw, where they lose dexterity. The slap shift setup still works...

J
--

« Reply #189 on: 09 January, 2021, 06:52:34 pm »

J

That’s the challenge of dual control shifters / brakes.  If you have bar end shifters then shifting or braking with mitts is really easy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #190 on: 09 January, 2021, 07:20:45 pm »
Kim, I know you've complained of cold feet on the bent which warm up as soon as you stop and put them down; a circulation problem. Probably the same thing affecting your hands. My hands get cold if I sit for too long in classic "laptop on knees" position for a similar reason.

Yes, the circulation in my hands and feet has always been rubbish (but not the the point of Raynauld's).  Feet are less important, as I'm not usually trying to type with them.

« Reply #191 on: 09 January, 2021, 08:00:10 pm »
The Buffalo mitts really are quite flexible. 
I can use brakes and gears in them even with arthritic hands and reynaulds. Most winter-weight gloves are too stiff for me to move my fingers at all. The Buffalos are slippy, but I've got used to them.
When young, we used sheepskin mitts from the Army and Navy Surplus stores. Not very manouverable, but we didn't have gears to shift anyway!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #192 on: 09 January, 2021, 10:16:24 pm »
The next logical development will be "Alexa, change down to 6th gear". 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #193 on: 09 January, 2021, 10:22:39 pm »

Another[1] application for DI2 automagic shifting?

[1] Other than people with no mechanical sympathy, for whom they seem to be genuinely useful.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #194 on: 09 January, 2021, 11:05:57 pm »

[1] Other than people with no mechanical sympathy, for whom they seem to be genuinely useful.

I have the syncro shifting. It's brilliant. One button up. One down. And cos of the position on the upright of my bars. I can just slap the buttons. But they are also close enough together i can control both with the same thumb for one handed control.

Di2 is brilliant. I may struggle to go back to a bike without it.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #195 on: 09 January, 2021, 11:44:05 pm »

I have the syncro shifting. It's brilliant. One button up. One down. And cos of the position on the upright of my bars. I can just slap the buttons. But they are also close enough together i can control both with the same thumb for one handed control.

No, I mean the fully automatic shifting that's available when DI2 is integrated with STEPS.  As a Cyclist it's horrible, of course, as the shifts happen without warning (I think the motor backs off, but the rider doesn't).  But I had low expectations and it does seem to pick reasonably sensible gears (certainly more so than some mechanically unsympathetic bike-users would), and of course it's completely hands-free.

DI2/STEPS buttons are a fine example of handlebar ergonomics.  I just wish they were  a) cheaper  and  b) available as dry-contacts.

« Reply #196 on: 10 January, 2021, 04:53:45 pm »

My winter gloves are altura night vision waterproof ones. Which are pretty good, they kept my hands warm yesterday at -2°C. But the waterproof thing is a bit of a misnomer. Yes they stop water getting from one side of the glove to the other, but that seems to only work one way. They fill up with water very easily, and then you can never get the bloody stuff out...

Don't need them often, usually 1-2 rides a year, but when I do, I am exceptionally grateful to have them.

J
When I was a budding motorcycle courier (before I got to know how to do it proper) I was sold a pair of Oxford Aquaprufe gloves as being watertight. They were too!!  >:( >:(  Filled up nicely they did, right to the top. Afterwards I learnt to use a pair of thin racing gloves that were short enough to slip inside the cuffs of my jacket. They didn't fill up, they were thin enough to dry fast and at a pinch I could put silk liners in them for the cold days (helped by muffs over the levers) Most of that (except the muffs) would transfer to a bicycle. I didn't ever have heated grips!
FWIW my cold weather gloves are motorcycle gloves that no longer have the EU compliance labels (and yes, the flics to stop motards to check the legality of their gloves. I think the fine might even be 135€)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #197 on: 11 January, 2021, 09:45:35 pm »
E-scooters a non-event, says cynical cop.
Avon & Somerset Constabulary traffic management unit boss Richard McKiernan told a remote meeting that he had expected carnage on roads and pavements during the West of England Combined Authority’s (Weca’s) pilot project.

Instead it has been a “policing non-event” and he has been “massively reassured” by the trial, which metro mayor Tim Bowles says will become vital in how we move around the region for generations to come.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/police-chiefs-won-over-weca-4877525
They must have gone out very early in the morning to get that photo of an empty Portway.

« Reply #198 on: 12 February, 2021, 05:11:27 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aYOU-bFGOY   Going well in Liverpool , though I've yet to risk my personal dignity.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #199 on: 18 February, 2021, 09:55:50 am »
Oxfordshire is now doing a trial with Voi.  50 scooters based in Headington to start with - £1 fee plus 20p per minute. 10mph speed limit and only available 6am to 10pm.
https://news.oxfordshire.gov.uk/new-escooter-launch/

This sounds interesting:
offering incentives and encouraging riders to take Voi’s accredited e-scooter digital traffic school, which has trained over half a million users.