Author Topic: How do you approach a GPs appointment?  (Read 3643 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: How do you approach a GPs appointment?
« Reply #25 on: 30 September, 2022, 11:40:04 pm »
various symptoms that have been labelled as IBS

That's probably the thing you're doing wrong.  I don't think you can do much about it other than by being diagnosed with a more definitive bowel condition.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 30 September, 2022, 11:41:15 pm »
ian is right, but it's not for this thread.

Public Health is what we should be focussing on.

Unfortunately public health loses votes because it is stuff like:

Reduce car use
Stop smoking (the easiest one)
Drastically reduce drinking
Stop promoting junk food (Johnson was on the way with this. Truss is doing a U turn)
Outlaw Ultra-processed foods
Make some kind of exercise compulsory at school

and so on...
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27 on: 30 September, 2022, 11:48:29 pm »
I read something recently to the effect that the best way to get a good outcome from a GP was to be seen by someone of the same sex, colour, gender, religion, ect, ect as yourself.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #28 on: 01 October, 2022, 12:02:12 am »
Well I'm about three visits in for fatigue, aches and pains. A lot more for various symptoms that have been labelled as IBS by the first GP and that's enough for all the other GPs so I keep getting drugs for IBS that do nothing for me. I'm from a family with a high incidence if bowel cancer which was enough for my another close family mender with same symptoms to get the camera check a few times.

I'm of the opinion I'm doing something wrong or my gp practice really hate making referrals if your white, male and look like you're fit/ active. What can I do.  Keep on going back with the same symptoms until something happens?

I did have some idea on my second visit. I had been to an osteopath because I was struggling with movement. Thought I had a trapped nerve but the osteopath said that I needed to go pack to GP and ask for inflammatory markers because they thought it was PMR. The speed I went downhill I had all sorts of things going through my mind - including spinal tumours (but google sort of re-assured me that I didn't). Because of osteopath visit I could walk in and question PMR and the GP quickly came to that conclusion and referred me to rheumatology.

« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2022, 12:20:40 pm »
I’m fortunate that i don’t yet have much experience with this, but:
Focus on one thing for a visit. (As Chris said)
Don’t downplay it, you’re there because it’s not right. It’s not the time for modesty or skirting round the issue.
Tell them if affects doing normal things. The interest in my sore shoulder a few years back visibly changed when I said I could no longer wash my back properly.
Ask if they will contact you or vice-versa if there’s test results to be had.

« Reply #30 on: 01 October, 2022, 02:09:49 pm »
Our GP surgery has a website that we can log into (get password from surgery) for booking repeat meds, appointments (when there are any) etc. We can also access our patient records. That lists recent stuff such as vaccinations, test results, and also the notes made in appointments by phone or face-to-face. It is useful to check them and make sure they correspond with what you think happened.
Don't be put off by some of the terminology. "Denies trauma" just means they have asked if you have fallen off your bike recently etc and you have replied "no". I tend to deny lots of things as the questions try to eliminate possible causes to which the answer is no.
My test results are often visible on my record before the surgery contacts me, so I have a chance to read (and google) the results and have an informed discussion when they do phone.
It's also a good way to remind yourself what happened at that last consultation, and who you saw/spoke to as it's seldom the same person twice these days.

« Reply #31 on: 03 October, 2022, 06:36:47 pm »
Week I fell foul of our surgeries technology today. I have gallstones, and today had the worst attack in years. Decided to see if I could get something better than OTC co-codamol. Phone and join the queue. 45 minutes later get an answer - but I’ve been connected to the wrong surgery (there are 3 in the practice) and yes, the number I dialled was correct. Call can’t be transferred. Dial again, 45 minutes late get cut off. Called again, but just gave up. No sleep for me tonight - NHS says colic lasts 1 to 5 hours. 6 and counting. I’m not good company.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 03 October, 2022, 07:37:07 pm »
Decided to see if I could get something better than OTC co-codamol.

FWIW, the answer to this is OTC co-codamol, alternated with OTC Neurofen *Plus* (ibuprofen + codeine).

« Reply #33 on: 04 October, 2022, 07:00:00 pm »
Thanks Kim, I’ll bear that in mind. After a 1h 20m wait today I did get through, got a call-back 5 hours later, and a prescription for 30/500 codeine/paracetamol, imaginatively named Zapain. Plus some high fibre “orange” (FCVO orange) flavoured drink, and a referral for another ultrasound.

« Reply #34 on: 04 October, 2022, 07:20:19 pm »
Thanks Kim, I’ll bear that in mind. After a 1h 20m wait today I did get through, got a call-back 5 hours later, and a prescription for 30/500 codeine/paracetamol, imaginatively named Zapain. Plus some high fibre “orange” (FCVO orange) flavoured drink, and a referral for another ultrasound.
Consider that the co-codamol and codeine are (IME) likely to keep you off the toilet for........... a while.

« Reply #35 on: 05 October, 2022, 08:14:12 am »
Consider that the co-codamol and codeine are (IME) likely to keep you off the toilet for........... a while.

Hence the hi-fibre drink. Though my stone should pass in a couple of days.

Incidentally - OTC purchase of 8/500 Co-Codamol limited to 32.  Prescribed 30/500's, box of 100.

« Reply #36 on: 05 October, 2022, 09:56:09 am »

Hence the hi-fibre drink. Though my stone should pass in a couple of days.

Incidentally - OTC purchase of 8/500 Co-Codamol limited to 32.  Prescribed 30/500's, box of 100.
Your Gp has assessed your likelihood of deliberate self harm as very low, hence the 100.  That would be a lethal dose for anybody.