Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 153925 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #675 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:51:58 pm »
But at least having both panniers provides a more stable platform for the 100-pack* of bog roll lashed to the top of the rack.

*24 actually.

Get well soon, Cudzo.
lol  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #676 on: 29 June, 2021, 07:55:15 pm »
I've had exactly no leisure cycling mojos recently but have managed a few trips to places on the bikes with the family

Last night was the usual weekly shop with the burley bee trailer. Shows how dull my life currently is when the cashier said she thinks she knows my wife as I'm always there on the Mondays she isn't. Also there can't be (m)any others who use a kids cycle trailer

Had a visitation in the burley which I think is the first and its done thousands of miles over the years. That may be linked to the fact i think I put oko sealant in the tubes several years back, possibly when nearly new so over 9 yeara. Gonna attempt to fix in a minute

Update. Tube fixed and if there was any sealant in there it hadn't worked but did appear to be some liquid in the air bubble so may have just turned to liquid after all those years

« Reply #677 on: 01 July, 2021, 07:33:20 pm »
On the trip out yesterday I bought milk, plumbing fittings and 40 litres of Diesel.

Local council made sure that I had a 5 minute punishment delay for keeping out of the car and out of the way of other cars:-

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #678 on: 01 July, 2021, 10:19:34 pm »
On the trip out yesterday I bought milk, plumbing fittings and 40 litres of Diesel.

Local council made sure that I had a 5 minute punishment delay for keeping out of the car and out of the way of other cars:-

It's like a low-budget remake of Mad Max 2...

ian

« Reply #679 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:48:56 am »
I'd go with Escape From... that's Snake Plissken territory. If the entire handlebar squishing apparatus (I never understood those, they basically make it awkward for everything) doesn't stop you, they recently seem to have in another entirely superfluous set of railings.

Come to think of it, it's probably more Indiana Jones, you get through and a giant rock comes tumbling after you.

« Reply #680 on: 02 July, 2021, 07:19:06 pm »

Couldn't get a double pram through there.  Probably struggle with a wheelchair too.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #681 on: 03 July, 2021, 02:02:41 pm »
Also in Coventry, on a different bike.
https://www.mtrak.co.uk/show/RAZg393Xn2
A 1.2 mile ride down a 50 mph limit dual carriageway to get to, and escape from, a shop.
Because of the 4 m high steel fence all round the industrial estate.
Luckily I travelled it at rush hour, so it was nose-to-tail cars, and my 10 - 15 mph was faster than the cars.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #682 on: 03 July, 2021, 05:38:42 pm »
I think I'd rather climb the fence.

« Reply #683 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:27:47 pm »
Another trip to Lidl tonight. Think I may need to upgrade upgrade rear QR as the added weight on it is pulling the wheel out of centre

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #684 on: 09 July, 2021, 09:53:20 am »
Those A-gate barriers are another reason people prefer e-scooters.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #685 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:21:43 am »
Those A-gate barriers are another reason people prefer e-scooters.

...And recumbents  :demon:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #686 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:23:43 am »

Riding back from the post office with this was a fun challenge. Amount of movement in the steering was limited. But I managed it. Was only 3km in the end anyway.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #687 on: 25 July, 2021, 02:51:42 pm »
I usually bring the panniers into the supermarket in order to have something to pack the shopping into.  That said, I do occasionally leave one pannier with nothing in it (well, maybe a couple of bungees and an inner tube) attached to the bike when visiting shops that don't have trolleys, so as not to have my hands full.

My tools and pump[1] live in the pannier, so I don't have to worry about them.  Dynamo lights mean they stay on the bike.  Years ago I realised that the chances of someone nicking a bike computer were vanishingly small compared to the chances of me dropping one while wandering round a shop, so that stays attached too.
On Friday, outside Lidl again, I had a conversation with a bod from Bristol City Council about this! Although he was just in the role of fellow cycle-borne shopper (I've no idea what his job is but he had a BCC badge around his neck). He was of the "take panniers into the shop" persuasion, but said this was because he had "other items" in them. I don't exactly what, but he implied it was something more than just tools (laptop? top secret council documents? key to the mayor's personal toilet?)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #688 on: 25 July, 2021, 02:53:25 pm »

Riding back from the post office with this was a fun challenge. Amount of movement in the steering was limited. But I managed it. Was only 3km in the end anyway.

J
They pictogram second from right: fish or flying bomb?

« Reply #689 on: 13 September, 2021, 11:37:16 am »
Several bits of this could go in other threads but been many a journey with purpose conveyed by bike this weekend

To the brothers yesterday with my niece in our burley bee, she really liked it so may lend it to them but I did previously and didn't get used. Obviously then home less the niece

Then took the kids to school today. They usually walk but I needed to go onwards from drop off. Haven't done the school run solo for ages so couldn't actually remember what time and with cycling we were there ridiculously early bit they didn't mind and played for a bit

Then off to the allotment to water and harvest. Came back with panniers full of various squashes. Having had a bat hit me in the face Thursday while cycling today I came across a dead and rather smelly bat on the cycle path. Being several of miles from the one i chinned I don't think I'm responsible for this ones demise

Only downside to ride was a slow visitation I found once had got home and had a brew. At least the offending staple was easy to spot

« Reply #690 on: 20 November, 2021, 11:00:20 am »
Having hardly ridden for ages we needed some refills from one of the local refill shops and had to pick up some books from the lovely maldon books. Was hard work due to lack of bike time but did take advantage of being on my thorn club tour to use some bridleways and made it up Market Hill without stopping or being overtaken by pedestrians

Local economy supported and some weight in the panniers headed home. Mostly good overtakes and a lorry held back as I signalled early I was going down a small lane and gave me a honk and wave as went past after I turned off

Also managed to drop a car down the hill as was tailgating me, should that be saddlebagging me so got a wriggle on down the hill. Lovely to be out, stupidly mild for late November and appaled at my current fitness level

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #691 on: 29 November, 2021, 03:15:41 pm »
Today’s trip to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles made marginally more interesting by the presence of PC Plod's Battenberg-coloured Mercedes Sprinter parked sideways across Larrington Towers Road.  Fortunately they'd gone by the time I came home.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #692 on: 04 February, 2022, 04:09:50 pm »
Could have been the wrong sort of adventure today. I rode half way back from the stupormarket thinking "What's that thumping noise?" before stopping to investigate. Yes, it was the pannier hanging on by only one hook.  ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #693 on: 14 February, 2022, 05:33:30 pm »
Different noise yesterday, more of a clanking. And some play in the front of the bike. Could be worn head bearings, but they weren't showing any play the other day, and why the clanking? Because this bike has through axles and the front one has substantially unscrewed itself, that is why.  :o Not only is it safer fully tightened, there's less resistance too.

And then I rode back in rain so heavy it was running down the inside of my trousers along the backs of my thighs. So today I had a dry, rusty chain.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #694 on: 02 March, 2022, 02:28:36 pm »

« Reply #695 on: 17 March, 2022, 09:29:40 am »
Off work today to use holiday before end of month. As have the lurgy couldn't do the school run much to the girls annoyance. Well actually I could but being sensible and minimising contacts

Get a phone call from t'wife which made my heart drop as she virtually never rings me unless somethings gone wrong or needs me to do something. She had locked her bike up to a fence round the corner from the school as due to covid one way system the only bike shed involves walking through the school entrance, locking your bike, going out and back in to drop kids and picking bike up on way out

She then thought she didn't have keys so was walking to work. Thankfully local and she was earlier then usual as I'd hearded them out the door. Unfortunately she was well past her bike as guaranteed the keys were in the bag as I put them in yesterday when found them on the table

At least I got a walk in the sun and a ride home. Hers being an upright hybrid with comparatively fat tyres compared to my bikes was a different riding experience. The jumps between gears was also a lot bigger then used to but upright does have its advantages avoiding dogs/kids/adults not paying attention on the cycle path home.

« Reply #696 on: 30 April, 2022, 12:42:06 pm »
Trip to kings Norton tip on the Catrike.  Recycling tetrapacks, two panniers full and then a full bin bag bungeed to the top of the rack.  No worries on the ride and no bag emptying on my head.  My one worry was that I had none of the id required (no driving license and all my bills are online paperless, so no proof of address) but they don’t check you when you go to recycling.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #697 on: 30 April, 2022, 01:46:53 pm »
Having been to the tip in Guildford a Several of times over the past few months (by car) I was mildly surprised to be asked for proof of residence by the gribley manning the gate.  He let me in, but stated that if I wish to dispose of more of Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s TPsOC I'll have to bring him with me >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #698 on: 30 April, 2022, 05:58:34 pm »
Trip to kings Norton tip on the Catrike.  Recycling tetrapacks, two panniers full and then a full bin bag bungeed to the top of the rack.  No worries on the ride and no bag emptying on my head.  My one worry was that I had none of the id required (no driving license and all my bills are online paperless, so no proof of address) but they don’t check you when you go to recycling.

They've never asked me.  Probably no need, because how far can anyone go on a bicycle?

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #699 on: 01 May, 2022, 09:03:28 am »
I get greeted with incredulity when I turn up at the local tip with the Roberts and Carry Freedom.  Never been asked for ID.
Advena ego sum in Terra