Author Topic: First GPS  (Read 1711 times)

First GPS
« on: 18 January, 2009, 05:35:40 pm »
I'd like a GPS for the bike, that will give me -

HRM functions
Speed - current and average
Distance
Current location in OS grid ref
Data that can be uploaded into a mapping package like Memory Map to show the routes travelled.

Do any of the Garmin Edge units offer these functions?

Andrew

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: First GPS
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:39:29 pm »
Not sure about the OS grid ref, but the Garmin 705 sounds the closest to your requirements.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:42:23 pm »
Do you want mapping and autorouting on the GPS, or simply an arrow to follow pre-entered routes?

For HRM functions you're pretty much tied to the Edge range (although see one comment inline). The rest of the functions are covered (you can download the manuals from Garmin's website to check) but I'm not 100% sure about the Current Location as OS Grid Ref requirement.

Without the mapping I'd go for an Edge 305. If you are into running too then consider a Forerunner 405 (although you can't see OS grid refs with it, only Lat/Lon) but it'll do the rest and just sit on your wrist. I have one and love it.

With mapping then look for the Edge 605 or 705.

All of these will allow download into Garmin Training Centre where you can see where you've been, or easily converted into GPX files to upload to bikely.com.

One thing to consider is that the Edge series uses internal (i.e. non-swappable) batteries which only hold enough charge for 8 hours or so (although it is possible to hack on an external battery pack via the USB connection). If you're using your bike for long rides (200km+ Audaxes) then this is an important consideration.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:53:45 pm »
Garmins since the eTrex line have had user-definable datums.  UK Grid is one of the datums. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.