Author Topic: Tour of Britain?  (Read 3095 times)

Tour of Britain?
« on: 09 September, 2018, 01:17:26 pm »
Have to say a bit bemused no one has bothered to post on this event but I am a bit lost as to why Sky has put their two top (?) men out on this trundle and for what reason? any thoughts?

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Re: Tour of Britain?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »
The alternative would be the Vuelta. That's resits for those who failed to make the grade at the Giro or the Tour. As Sky won both, and as ASO was out to bar Froome from the Tour, and as ASO also owns the Vuelta, then cementing Sky's renewed popularity in the UK is a no-brainer.

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2018, 03:10:24 pm »
G and Froome are riding the ToB, but they aren't competing for the win. Essentially, having them there is just publicity and a chance for them to pay it back a bit and ride for one of their team-mates.
Given Froome rode the Giro and the Tour, the Vuelta would have been a race too far for him this year, and I think G has been enjoying himself and doing so much yellow jersey stuff he's not ready for something as hard as the Vuelta.

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2018, 07:57:38 pm »
Sky has quite a few customers in the UK.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2019, 03:45:18 pm »
It really will be a Tour of Britain in 2020 - starts in Cornwall, finishes in Aberdeen.
TBH, I don't mind that in previous years they've had a "more southern/western" year followed by a "more northern" one. I think it works well. You can't visit the whole country every year.
All the same, I think our friends in Aberdeenshire need a visit next September...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2020, 06:21:59 pm »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2020, 09:33:18 pm »
Bit of a cop out really, if they'd spoken to Moray too they could have had the lecht and the Cabrach. Then they'd only be a Perthshire away from the stage they should be running

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk