Author Topic: New spam with my old address  (Read 1283 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
New spam with my old address
« on: 03 February, 2009, 11:38:24 pm »
I went through my spam today and there was this ....

With warm heart I offer my friendship, and greetings, and I hope this mail meets you in good time. However strange or surprising this contact might seem to you as we have not met personally or had any dealings in the past, I humbly ask that you take due consideration of its importance and immense benefit. I duly apologize for infringing on your privacy; if this contact is not acceptable to you First and foremost I wish to introduce my self properly to you. My name is Maxwell Khumalo project coordinator Gautrain under ground mass rapid transit railway system construction project in Johannesburg .

I facilitated the award of the contract for the Construction of the Gautrain under ground mass rapid transit railway system  to Bombela Consortium which is a  partnership between Bombardier Transportation, Bouygues Travaux Publics, Murray & Roberts, the Strategic Partners Group and RATP Development. In return to this gesture I received a compensation of US (dollars) 20 M.

The approval of the award of the R25 Billion construction program was done based on many factors including merit. During the screening period the BEE (Black Economic Empowerment) group posed a resistance to such a huge capital project on the grounds that such funds should be plunged into areas that would benefit the poor since it has been noted that the government is only concerned with the affairs of the rich and outsiders. I argued that the Gautrain , 80-kilometre mass rapid transit railway system will ultimately link Johannesburg, Pretoria, and OR Tambo International Airport and that it will l relieve the traffic congestion in the Johannesburg – Pretoria traffic corridor as well as offer commuters a viable alternative to road transport, as Johannesburg has a limited public transport infrastructure. On winning the legal tussle and subsequently facilitating the award of the contract to Bombela Consortium I received the monetary compensation.

The reason why I am contacting you is because the said fund was not secured in a bank account due to the nature of the deal and also due to the fact that the BEE (Black  Economic Empowerment movement ) may discover about the compensation.  I am  looking for an oversea partner to receive this fund in an oversea account.

All conformable documents to back up this claim will be made available to you prior to your acceptance. Meanwhile, I have worked out the strategies and technicalities to attain a hitch free transfer hence I am offering you 30% of the total funds for your assistance.

If you are interested in handling this life changing and promising transaction of mine, please reply via this email address below and as well email me your direct telephone number for discussion of this deal in further details.

Fax number:  +1 44 870 495 1987

Fax number:  +1 44 870 495 9729

Telephone number 1:  +44 703182 3587

Telephone number 2:  +44 703 182 5989

Email 1:  maxwellkhumalo@thepub.co.za

Email 2:   maxwellkhumalo@ravemail.co.za

ATTN: Maxwell Khumalo

Please for the seriousness of this matter; send me a fax in the two fax numbers above. Also forward same message to the two email addresses provided. Additionally make sure that you   contact me on any of the phone numbers for a brief telephone discussion. I am in the United Kingdom because of this matter and await your reply.  It is important that you send me both emails and  faxes as our email systems these days are becoming unreliable  hence I need to make sure that one way or the other, I get your message. Call me also when you send the message at  +44 703182 3587  or   +44 703 182 5989

. Please do include your mobile phone number so that I can effectively reestablish contact with you in pursuance of this noble course.

Awaiting your reply.

Maxwell Rossman

Clearly a spam, but in the this spam it had my name, my old address and my old phone number *) which worries me a bit. That makes me think what else is out there of my details. And I can't really do much to it either.

*) dating back to 1999.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: New spam with my old address
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2009, 07:08:59 am »
Bloody hell

That is worrying. Means someone who had your name and address has either sold on the mail list - probably then repeatedly sold on until it reached the spammers.

Or someone with your name and address has been hacked.

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2009, 08:03:03 am »
I don't think anybody has sold on but stolen the information from somewhere.

By the way isn't  44 the international number for the UK. i.e. when calling a number in the UK from overseas?
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2009, 08:27:47 am »
By the way isn't  44 the international number for the UK. i.e. when calling a number in the UK from overseas?

Yes, but calling +44<phone number> doesn't cost any more if you're in the UK. I add all numbers into my mobile with +44 so that they work when I use the phone abroad.

On the original subject, spammers are getting a bit cleverer. My mobile number is out in the world as I accidentally forgot to remove my work email signature (with it in) from an email to a public mailing list (albeit a work related one). If you know what to google for you can find it pretty easily. It was a nightmare for a couple of months as lots of our customers were calling me directly and also IM-ing me.

The idea behind it is that the more information they provide you the less likely you are to think it is spam.

It's like the "bank calling" scam where, to prove they are the bank, they tell you your name, address, phonenumber, date of birth, card number and card expiry date. They then ask you for the CVV digits on the back of the card to prove who you are. Some people are fooled into giving them because they think it must be the bank if they know all of those details. Instead, they've just done their research and the CVV digits were the last piece of the puzzle they need to go crazy with your card.

Anyway. Don't worry about it, there's nothing you can do about the email anyway. You know it's spam so just delete it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2009, 10:06:00 am »
Yes I have deleted it as it is spam, but it is the first spam I have received with that much details, albeit old. Compared to all the others where they just about get my name right.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit