Author Topic: Animated .gif  (Read 1677 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Animated .gif
« on: 02 May, 2013, 10:48:16 am »
Well the internet has come full circle.

When I started playing around on the net surfing and building website  - animated .gifs were the bees knees and over the years they died out \o/

Now in the last few months they are back big time - crappy image quality eating up cpu and page load/render time.

Why? Didn't we get aDSL and faster ISPs along with better and faster GPU and CPUs along with more RAM than you can shake a stick at to avoid this crap.

Just been on one page with 19 animated .gifs, at the minimum didn't wait for the page to fully load to find out, after 3min the page was still loading/rendering. At least one of these I have seen on youtube a few years back, so why do a .gif of this ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Animated .gif
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2013, 10:58:39 am »
My guess is it's a really crap replacement for Flash... (no Flash on many mobile devices including all iThings).
Pen Pusher

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:05:39 am »
Content creator ignorance?
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:39:56 am »
Any minute now Hamster Dance will be going viral (again, but can it go viral since it was sent around the block before viral was the thing to do)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2013, 05:17:30 pm »
I have just built a web page with 20 different animated gifs on it. Simple 3D rotation around a single axis - does the job. Don't want to mess around with embedding video.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2013, 05:54:46 pm »
My daughter is a tumblr addict - a site which (or at least, her use of) seems to involve huge pages of huge animated gifs.

Over the Easter hols, for the first time ever, we ran out of data on our internet connection - and were blessedly internet-free for a fortnight. I've been suspicious that one of the few windows machines here must be running a bandwidth hungry virus. But could the gifs be the problem?

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:38:45 am »
Unlikely - gifs are titchy compared to streaming a single episode of Game of Thrones.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2013, 11:47:21 am »

« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »
Don't all thank me at once...

Happy memories  :thumbsup:

I had that .wav as my ringtone for ages (remember the fun of trying to get custom ringtones working?)

My guess is it's a really crap replacement for Flash... (no Flash on many mobile devices including all iThings).

hah - why bother trying to get a replacement for flash on iThings?   Let the users suffer the pain they inflicted on the rest of us for years by only using quicktime for video sharing; that was just a pain in the proverbial to get working on non-Apple kit.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2013, 03:46:01 pm »
Thanks nutty finally someone who agrees with me about quicktime.

Erm ? No one saw my link to the horror that is the hamster dance up thread?

This animated .gif malarkey is right up there with making 80s clothing fashionable again a big simple NO!

David Martin

« Reply #10 on: 07 May, 2013, 06:56:46 pm »

Here is one I prepared earlier..

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #11 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:13:33 pm »
I'm generally not a huge fan of animated anything on webpages. But if it looks as good as that, and actually shows something useful (as opposed to something just moving), then I can probably get my bias past it.

Incidentally - if I have that in my peripheral vision - like when I'm typing up here, and it is down there, I can get it to go backwards. Doesn't work if I look right at it though.

« Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:28:31 pm »
I am also not a fan of moving stuff, so have most adverts etc blocked in the browser.

That .gif looks fantastic, although at 3Mb (?) I can see that somebody might hit a download limit if always on a site with stuff like that.

I have now noticed though that hitting ESC when the page loads doesn't seem to stop .gifs moving anymore.   Have FireFox taken that useful feature out of latest versions?

« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »
I'm generally not a huge fan of animated anything on webpages. But if it looks as good as that, and actually shows something useful (as opposed to something just moving), then I can probably get my bias past it.

Like David, I've very occasionally done similar images, to generate a 3D view of a spacecraft's orbit.  It was easier to generate a whole mass of images and then glue them together with some command line scripting, than work out how to render it all using some sort of VRML plugin (which are badly supported at the best of times), or hand code a load of image rendering in Javascript.

Incidentally - if I have that in my peripheral vision - like when I'm typing up here, and it is down there, I can get it to go backwards. Doesn't work if I look right at it though.

Yep, Necker reversal, related to the Necker Cube.  When there's no other hints, you can make a simple 3D stick cube flip between two orientations by concentrating on different parts of it.  By only looking peripherally at the image, you're brain can't/doesn't see many of the other depth hints, like shading and glints, so is prone to flipping between differing perspectives, in this case allowing the opposite sense of rotation.
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

« Reply #14 on: 07 May, 2013, 10:32:39 pm »
The size was probably a bit excessive. I can't remember how big the original image was but there are something like 1 frame per degree. Doing it as a video would have been potentially more trouble.

For those interested, it is a phenylalanine molecule, rendered with ray tracing in PyMOL as a large number of individual PNGs which were then combined to a gif with ImageMagick.