Author Topic: Mint xfce 16 vs Nvidia  (Read 991 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Mint xfce 16 vs Nvidia
« on: 19 January, 2014, 08:42:06 pm »
Giving Mint a go.

Live CD, well usb, runs just fine and installed just fine. But after booting and logging in I just get a lovely mosaic to look at. Can't see a mouse, ctrl+alt+backspace gives me the prompt for a sec before it goes back to the log in.

I got a nvidia graphic card and have runned ubuntu, gnome, unity, KDE and xfce happily before.

Anyone got an idea how to solve this?

On an anothet note. Can graphic cards remember after a reboot? I had this before way back when. Where I was running the wrong driver etc rebooted and saw my last screen before crash and reboot, when the computer was loading the right drivers etc. I just had this happen again while trying to installed the updated nvidia driver. I could see some of the last page of the last web page I visited before reboot in the mosaic.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: Mint xfce 16 vs Nvidia
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2014, 09:06:17 pm »
Maybe try remaking your live USB?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2014, 09:42:44 am »
Thanks, I did that and also formatted my /home and it all worked just fine, now running Mint xfce 16.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2014, 11:31:49 am »
After a bit of fettling - graphic card not playing ball, wifi not installed out of the box and then Grub fell over - I'm now running Mint xfce 16. Now I just have to get used to where things are and figure out why the sound is so tinny compared to ubuntu 13.10.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2014, 01:18:36 pm »
Well got it up and running and it all works, just getting used to where things are compared to Ubuntu and Unity.  It is a wee bit fast here and there, but not the kinda hoped boost, I think it is chrome that is the bottle neck.

But now what?!? Try another disto ?

Afasoas

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2014, 12:30:39 am »
What PC are u running it on?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2014, 08:24:57 am »
A three year old Dell inspiron 13z laptop.

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2014, 10:20:13 am »
XFCE can be really fast. It depends on what other stuff you end up running as well. My base install of XFCE on Arch was blazingly fast, instant loading of terminals etc. Add Dropbox etc etc and it starts to slow down. Still faster than any Ubuntu offering.
The problem with distributions that give you a complete desktop from a single click to install is that they install a whole lot of stuff you might not need or want that runs in the background and slows things down.
Try something like Arch that only installs a command line and makes you build it up from there package by package. Its slower to install but you get what you need and only that and you know when you install something that slows it down and can de-install that one app and try an alternative application.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »
I installed preload and changed my swappyness and now it does feel much faster, ok I haven't played with Gimp and a handful of photos yet, but then again that is not what I do.

Playing with ubuntu netinstall in virtualbox just to see if I can figure that out atm

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2014, 04:04:07 pm »
That installed but upon reboot it was gone back to the start of the install, well another day and thread.

« Reply #10 on: 21 February, 2014, 12:25:48 pm »
Try Linux lite. Run really quick.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:46:21 pm »
Installed crunchbang since I never felt at home with mint. Crunchbang found my WiFi card, graphic card and I feel so much more at home.