Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1253533 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #7025 on: 01 January, 2020, 11:08:17 am »
After a good 8 months from the start of 2019, its all gone back one and some more.

I am much heavier than I was a year ago today, but still less than I was in October 2018 when I started my weight loss drive.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7026 on: 02 January, 2020, 06:05:06 am »
I am really pleased that at the end of 2019 I had maintained my weight loss with Keto. Started 2019 at 110kg, reached 90kg in July and then relaxed a lot with the Keto and stayed at that weight. We had two weeks of normal eating over Christmas including lots of chocolates and this morning I was 92.6 which is not bad - I guess it’s mostly water and should go over the next two weeks.

Plan for 2020 is to get down to 80kg but I have not yet decided whether I will track foods again. I only did it Jan to March last year to learn what is best with Keto, but then over the summer I relaxed a bit. Strict Keto is weight loss, relaxed seems to be weight maintenance.

We are both very happy to be back to Keto eating now as it tastes nicer and the body feels much better for it.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #7027 on: 02 January, 2020, 07:05:54 am »
I finished 2019 as I started it, full of good intentions but with the cyclist inside hiding deep under a thick layer of lard.
I guess it's like giving up smoking. It's a process, and just because I've failed again (and again, and again) doesn't mean I should give up.

I always do OK until real life hits, stress and pain and injury throw me off the path of righteousness. I don't have any non-food rewards or comforts. That's this year's challenge - find a replacement.

« Reply #7028 on: 02 January, 2020, 08:23:59 am »
Managed to get through the holidays with a slight loss, despite several non-keto days.
Got a fairly aggressive target of 83kgs by mid March as I'll be going to Japan and then 78kgs by July, which is the Canadian Nationals (Kendo) in which I will now be eligible for the Masters category. Muscle gain may get in the way of these targets, but I'm tracking fat % as well, so as long as that keeps going down.
I'll need to go on fairly strict keto for this to work.

« Reply #7029 on: 02 January, 2020, 09:08:05 am »
Fboab, I sympathise with the food/reward thing as I have few non food rewards.

We are back on the Keto as well but trying also to go less meat. About to try Tempeh for the first time.
If anybody has any vegetarian Keto recipes or suggestions I would be very interested.

Main thing for me is more exercise, remove sweets and eat better.

« Reply #7030 on: 02 January, 2020, 10:32:52 am »
Oh well, seems like mine is a common story...
I'm 1.5 kg heavier than I was this time last year, which would be OK if I hadn't lost lost and found 12kg in between.  I need to get back on it, but struggling to find the will, I've got several cycling plans for this year that are not going to be much fun at my current weight. 

simonp

« Reply #7031 on: 02 January, 2020, 11:17:21 am »
About 0.5kg gain over 12 months. Slightly overweight.

« Reply #7032 on: 03 January, 2020, 06:31:10 pm »
Yesterday the bathroom scales were reporting a low battery, so I replaced it.
This morning I appear to have put on three pounds, which is a touch depressing.  :-\
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7033 on: 03 January, 2020, 06:35:26 pm »
Most 'seasonal' gain is temporary...
(I post this almost every year.)

Chris S

« Reply #7034 on: 03 January, 2020, 07:58:15 pm »

...and we keep testing it, every year :D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7035 on: 03 January, 2020, 08:12:37 pm »
Stopping carbs and having an energy intake deficit will drop you 1-2 kg...

« Reply #7036 on: 08 January, 2020, 07:18:26 am »
...as comparing my figures, last week to this, shows...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #7037 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:31:39 am »
Back into exercise routine and that usual feeling of tiredness that accompanies the first few weeks of it. Ugh.

[EDIT] And the hunger! (I must have got to the point that I really want to lose weight again, rather than just thinking I should, as it's quite easy to avoid feeding the hunger.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7038 on: 15 January, 2020, 09:47:09 am »
OK, 0.5kg under where I'd hoped to be this week but that could easily be variance due to hydration state.

At 0.5kg/week I have the following milestones:-
* under 95kg (and under BMI 31) - Feb 12th
* under BMI 30 - March 25th
* under 90kg - April 15th
* under 14st and BMI 29 - May 6th
* under BMI 28 - June 17th
* under 85kg and BMI 28 - June 24th
* under 13st and BMI 27 - July 29th
* under 80kg and BMI 26 - Sep 9th
* under BMI 25 and under 12st - all around the end of October
* under 75kg - Nov 11th

Last time I was 76.x kg was around the time of London-Edinburgh-London in 2009.

« Reply #7039 on: 16 January, 2020, 08:19:54 pm »
Scale reported sub 25% body fat today, offcially telling me that I'm not longer obese :D.

« Reply #7040 on: 17 January, 2020, 08:17:31 pm »
Back into exercise routine and that usual feeling of tiredness that accompanies the first few weeks of it. Ugh.

And even more so end of week two. It'll be only 5h20 in total according to Strava once tomorrow's parkrun is done but that's enough for me in my current shape. Should eventually get up to 10h a week and we'll see if I can keep that going (save for "rest" weeks of 5-6h or so every 4 weeks).

[EDIT] Parkrun and then a few hours running around playing football with my daughter down at the local rugby club. Both of us now broken. Going to bed before 9pm for the first time in years (I'm a night owl so bed time is usually 11pm at the earliest).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7041 on: 18 January, 2020, 08:52:57 pm »
Everything is going in the opposite direction at the moment. Since breaking my diet in late October, I have noticed how much I enjoy, and have missed, The Wrong Types of Food. I'm still succeeding in cutting down on the booze and the cake, but the bread is getting me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7042 on: 02 February, 2020, 10:28:00 pm »

I didn't have a good year last year for my weight.

I changed job, and joined a project with lots of traveling and a snack budget, what ever I did my weight went up because I couldn't leave the snacks alone. I stopped going to slimming world with my wife because I was just paying to be told I had gained, when I knew I had, and I kept confusing them by doing 10,000 steps a day and gaining.

So here I am, I've started using an app (noom) on my phone rather than going to a meeting, I've started a new project at work with no snack budget, and I have to cycling in because there's no parking for contractors. I've got a couple of 6A sports climbs* I've almost cracked when I got down to 100 ish kilos that I would like to tick off, so here we go.

* and also I would like not to die young of a heart attack, I'm 40 this year I should probably take this shit seriously.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #7043 on: 04 February, 2020, 10:18:11 am »
Fboab, I sympathise with the food/reward thing as I have few non food rewards.

We are back on the Keto as well but trying also to go less meat. About to try Tempeh for the first time.
If anybody has any vegetarian Keto recipes or suggestions I would be very interested.

Main thing for me is more exercise, remove sweets and eat better.

A resounding "me too" on the not-having-non-food-rewards front. Does anyone? If so, what are they? I could really do with some ideas!

I'm also interested in vegetarian keto recipes.

On my attempts at weight control, it doesn't help that my wife has just bought 2 25kg bags of flour for all of her bread making... Then she tells me that I've got a bit tubby and I'm almost like a different person.  ;D

« Reply #7044 on: 06 February, 2020, 03:30:35 am »
I think I figured out that the main difference now is that I don't mind (so much) being hungry. It serves mores as a reminder than the overriding alarm that it used to be.
 However,  there's been a couple of cheat weekends where I have eaten high carbs at events and the next day I'm usually *starving* and it takes an extra dose of will power to stick to the low carb. It'll go away after a day or so.

« Reply #7045 on: 26 February, 2020, 02:57:22 pm »
81.9 kg last week, a fairly large drop which I am not reading too much into, but I can feel that the general trend is downwards. I feel better for it. I attribute this to more running and stopping getting lunches from the work canteen.

« Reply #7046 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:43:55 pm »
Eurgh, complete absence of exercise + eating too much because I'm home all the time and it's too easy to just grab something means weight loss has stagnated.
The gym does have a 'home programme', but I've also been too lazy to actually follow it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7047 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:58:51 pm »
I see phil w is doing well, despite infrequent weigh-ins.

I'm not convinced frequent weighing is always helpful.

« Reply #7048 on: 30 March, 2020, 02:02:59 am »
Well, just threw out 2/3 of my wardrobe...but also found few things that now fits again :)

Phil W

« Reply #7049 on: 30 March, 2020, 07:03:33 pm »
I see phil w is doing well, despite infrequent weigh-ins.

I'm not convinced frequent weighing is always helpful.

Normally I weigh myself just once a month or so.  I feel around a month is enough to see if there’s any real change in my weight. More frequently I suspect I’d be convinced not a lot is happening. So I’ll check in again end of April when I’ll have a view on what effect the lockdown is having.