Author Topic: C2C & Hadrian's Wall Path  (Read 2628 times)

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
C2C & Hadrian's Wall Path
« on: 19 September, 2019, 08:27:16 pm »
 :thumbsup:New 2x 200 & 400 Audax events planning for August 2020 : C2C ; Hadrian's Wall Path

200 Newcastle : Hadrian's Wall Path
200 Whiteheaven : C2C - AA3.5
400 Hadrian's Wall Path & C2C - AA5.5

I rode these as my build up to PBP and they are both fabulous rides, with an average of 12,000 to 15,000 cyclists completing the coast-to-coast trail each year:
https://www.macsadventure.com/walking-holidays/guide-to-cycling-the-c2c/

Add an overnight accommodation hall in and what reason not to ride 1 classic, but both rides back-to-back..
All 3 new rides will be qualifiers for the new ACH SR medal.

Prologue/prequel to ride to Stephenson+Railway+Museum and Home of the Rocket!
..my home town and where my father worked as an engineer to help build the Power Station.

Volunteers needed to help with Whitehaven Control

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-627/

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-626/
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: New Audaxes August 2020 : C2C & Hadrian's Wall Path
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2019, 08:44:29 pm »
sounds great, resolves the big issue of riding the c2c, the logistics of getting back to the start, or getting to and from

Eddington  127miles, 170km

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
Re: C2C & Hadrian's Wall Path
« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2019, 07:29:20 pm »
Suggestions for venue for FREE dinner in Whitehaven ? :P
Is Late August best time for weekend Audax ?
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2019, 07:41:35 pm »
Would the following B/H weekend work better giving riders of the 400 or second 200 a free rest day Monday without raking holiday?

« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2019, 08:36:24 am »
The C2C trail goes past my employ - I can see it through the trees. It's busy with dog emptiers, families, commuters on BSO and joggers and IMO unsuitable for a timed event with a lot of riders. The path isn't as wide as the brizzle trails.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2019, 09:09:59 am »
The C2C trail goes past my employ - I can see it through the trees. It's busy with dog emptiers, families, commuters on BSO and joggers and IMO unsuitable for a timed event with a lot of riders. The path isn't as wide as the brizzle trails.

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree. I rode it some years ago and it was horrible in places, especially from Consett onwards. I ended up giving up on the 'official' route and took to the roads instead.  I think this is a fab idea but I'd advise planning a road-only (or at least mainly) route rather than using the Sustrans one.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2019, 10:17:23 pm »
Pencilled both of those into my calendar.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2019, 01:21:22 pm »

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree. I rode it some years ago and it was horrible in places, especially from Consett onwards. I ended up giving up on the 'official' route and took to the roads instead.  I think this is a fab idea but I'd advise planning a road-only (or at least mainly) route rather than using the Sustrans one.

<Not the Org>
The route is on-road.  Stanhope Common is questionable, but there is viable on-road alternative at +3Km cost...
</NtO>
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:07:30 pm »
[/quote]

Yeah roads and after Consett,  :thumbsup:

I did see a small handful of early morning joggers/dog walkers/cyclists at the start... 
I guess lucky with a 6 am  start.. from then 'Empty Roads  :thumbsup:

Only a couple kms 'down-hill' rough stuff, and has been made optional :thumbsup:

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2019, 08:53:57 am »
Would the following B/H weekend work better giving riders of the 400 or second 200 a free rest day Monday without raking holiday?

Good idea, but bank holidays may bring too many more riders.. only limited space in the hall. Also, busier route..