Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3004870 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
So my memory must be from '79 or '80. But I also remember that occasionally, instead of the Beano, I would buy Whizzer and Chips, which actually cost 10p – so my whole pocket money! I think it was a bit longer than the Beano and had this pretence of being two comics in one, you could be either a Whizzer or a Chippite (no, I can't remember which I was) so, although it was really not such a good comic, I sometimes bought it instead.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

My pocket money wasn't metric!
But I did get one of the old thrupenny bits for getting out of bed when called at 4.15am on a Sunday morning, and another thruppence for eating breakfast and getting into the car efficiently by 5am.
Guess what sport my parents were involved with??

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Information on contemporary crisp prices is harder to come by.

This sounds like a job for the Freddo Index, but it seems that Freddos were on hiatus from 1979-1994 (which explains their absence from my childhood[1]), at which point they were re-launched at the price of 10p.

[1] We had the Wildlife Bars instead.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
These need to be listed alongside what your rent, then essential bills + food were.

I worked out I'm paid almost nothing more than I was per hour accounting for inflation 15 years ago. I'm going to be asking my boss on Tuesday for a payrise, which will be refused, but I'm asking anyway cos they are Taking The Piss. I have 15 years experience and a postgrad qual so they need to pay me better for the difficult job I do.

When we were married, our first residence was a sea front flat in Westcliff. It cost us £7 a week in rent. We lived there for 2 years and when we bought our first place, the mortgage was £66 a month. It wasn't long before Thatcher put that up to >£100 a month by increasing the mortgage rate to 15%
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.