Author Topic: Upper Thames 200km - 4th Nov 2023  (Read 4787 times)

Re: Upper Thames 200km - 4th Nov 2023
« Reply #25 on: 05 November, 2023, 08:02:31 pm »

The (rain) caped crusader (me) returned, laughing in the face of wet weather.

As I walked into each control, I wanted to break into song about the wonders of a cape. I looked around. Tortured faces stared into their tea, water dripping from their noses onto their cake. This was not an audience to declare how dry you are. It could turn nasty.

I kept shtum.

Today lived up to the forecast with constant morning rain, and heavy showers in the afternoon. Checking my wahoo, it was also colder than expected - four degrees through the Chilterns. We did have the wind in our favour - with a lovely tailwind to Chipping Norton. Which then died as we turned south into what would have been a tough head wind.

I love the hiss tyres make when we ride on damp roads. I'm not such a fan of the slosh and gurgle they make when we hit a deep puddle. That's usually the starting gun for damp, cold, numb feet. Which is very unpleasant.

An impulse purchase of waterproof socks, following a post by Tomsk OTP - kept my toes dry and warm. I could FEEL my shoes sloshing with water, but that never turned into feet like ice blocks.

Sealskinz, warm, mid-calf socks bought in Decathlon - come and collect your "Comfortable Rider" medal. You can stand on the podium with the rain cape. Well done.

I was on gears today. The Triban felt like an e-bike after 9 months on fixed. I traced the route for chevrons, found them and girded my loins for Berins hill. Tap-tap-tap-tap go the gears. Deploy fixed climbing torque. Panic as the handlebars rise to the sky. Land the wheelie and pick a couple of gears harder. Writing a note to the legs, "Very funny - yes I can see how strong you've become. You've had your fun - now a bit less drama on the next chevrons please".

Did I mention the route? How silly.

It was so pretty.

The Chilterns mixed intimate sinuous valleys with ancient woodland. The woodland passages gave us respite from driving rain in exchange for the odd deluge when a wind gust shook waterlogged boughs.

We zoomed down the hill into Watlington and joined the rolling hills of the Aylesbury vale.

I love the views from Winchendon ridge and attempted the first blurry picture of the day, taken from inside a waterproof case.

I already knew the climb to Chipping was gradual and relentless, so I just dropped a gear and took in the views. What's the rush - enjoy the rainbows!

Today was a day to linger in controls. Warm up, eat nice food, and drink hot drinks.

Vicki and team run a great event. They had been out after Storm Ciaran to check for flooded roads, and updated the route. We had plenty of kerb to kerb puddles - but nothing that required scuba gear. The soup and cake at arrivee was delicious.

I can see why this ride has so many fans. It's smashing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10160509822

« Reply #26 on: 06 November, 2023, 08:40:36 am »
Mixed feelings on this one. Loved it and hated it. The hate though was all down to things outside the organisers' control, like the weather, and the state of my fitness.
Rode solo as my planned companion had suffered an outbreak of mental, moral, emotional and constitutional weakness.
The drive down boded ill - I had the wipers on full for much of it. The depart was great, with tea and toast. Spoke to one guy on his first audax, and explained that it was an excellent choice as future rides were unlikely to be any worse. Also spoke to CrazyEnglishTriathlete about commuting (I'm the life and soul of parties), although I didn't put two and two together at the time.
All the keen beans whizzed off up the early hills. I struggled to keep pace with the guy in front of me. Finally caught him to discover he only took up audaxing on his 70th birthday. Rode with him for a bit, then decided I needed to work harder to keep warm. Left him behind only to go straight into the axle deep flood. To be fair, we had been warned, and diverted, but the diversion email had arrived after the bike with garmin attached was already in the car, and I was comfortable on the sofa. How bad could it be? Not bad enough, I thought, to move the waterproof socks from my desk to my getting dressed pile... Loads of standing water, running water, gravel and leaves. I love riding in autumn usually, but I didn't enjoy the descents. No confident sweeping turns, no gripping the tops of the brake levers to satisfy the urge to brake without scrubbing off any speed. Instead, it was brakes on hard on most of them, and rightly so.
Took a diversion after Watlington to bag some veloviewer tiles on the way up to Wheatley. Bumped into a friend from LEL and another couple of audaxes outside the control. "See you at Chipping Norton" he said. "Unlikely," I responded...
Cafe controls are delightful - having started serious audaxing during lockdowns, I've only really experienced bare bones events. Chatted to the pair who were out on their second best tandem. Had to force myself up and out to get on with it, but it was familiar roads from Wheatley to Bicester. Missed the turn at Ashendon cos my route planner decided a footpath was a better option than the road. Came back, chatted to another pair at the junction, who, in the theme of the day, whizzed off ahead of me. Let down by my route planner at Bicester, which had diverted me along cycle paths, (which I ignored and stayed on the road), until it wanted me to use an underpass. Now I couldn't get onto the cycle path, so had to pull a U turn in the middle of the A41 and retrace. Overtook my earlier companion, and dragged up to Chipping Norton, with a couple of diversions to bag tiles. A nasty shower came, and I gambled too late on finding a bus shelter to re-don waterproofs. Finally put them on under a tree as it was abating. The main road into town was not a treat at all, but was at least downhill. The cafe was a delightfully welcoming warm fug. I lingered for half an hour over hot chocolate and a panino.
Then back on the road, darkness fell, lights came on. In fact, one had come on earlier, the rain having upset the electronics, and wouldn't turn off, but flashed gently all the way home and deep into the night. More familiar roads west of Witney, which is my father in law's stamping ground. One last (failed! ha!) tile diversion in Wychwood, then I caught my companion from earlier. Chatted for a while then left him behind. The clock turned 6 and the sky lit up all around as the fireworks went off. I could see 6 or 7 displays all around the horizon.
Caught up with another rider whose GPS had failed him, and stuck with him to the end to finish in just under 12 hours.
Not my finest performance, but a good day out. Weather wasn't great, but as I'd said at the start, it can't be much worse than the poor student in January. Apart from feet, head and hands, I stayed largely dry. The skies were moody. Great views of clouds and rain soaked landscapes, misty valleys. Red kites are two a penny round here, but one perched in a tree on the left of the road, while a kestrel hovered on the right was a treat, and a cloud of about twenty all circling was another.
If better weather and better legs can be promised, I might even do it again

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #27 on: 06 November, 2023, 08:49:39 am »
The (rain) caped crusader (me) returned, laughing in the face of wet weather.

As I walked into each control, I wanted to break into song about the wonders of a cape. I looked around. Tortured faces stared into their tea, water dripping from their noses onto their cake. This was not an audience to declare how dry you are. It could turn nasty.
I'm intrigued - which cape do you have?
Well done on the ride and thanks for the write up.

« Reply #28 on: 06 November, 2023, 10:09:08 am »
Nice write up smileydave! I spoke to you briefly in Waterperry gardens.

JonB - I've got this one from Carradice:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/jackets/carradice-pro-route-cycle-cape/

SJS seem to be cheapest online for Carradice stuff these days.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #29 on: 06 November, 2023, 11:55:31 am »
"missed out" on this one, weather forecast was not having me feeling it on Friday night, which probably subconsciously caused my failure to set an early alarm. regular alarm went off at 7, and I decided there was no way I was going to dress eat, load the car and get to the start in 30 minutes.

when I was up and about later it seemed the weather was not as bad as forecast so I felt like I had made an error. But from the reports it seems I dodged a bullet.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #30 on: 06 November, 2023, 05:38:26 pm »
One bonus of my DNF and hike to Goring was seeing a mixed flock of geese including a couple of Egyptian Geese and Pink Footed Geese pottering about rather morosely in a waterlogged field.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)