Author Topic: Dell laptop dead... ideas?  (Read 1568 times)

Dell laptop dead... ideas?
« on: 25 November, 2018, 07:40:36 pm »
Daughter at uni, has just said that her Dell (3537) has died.  Basically when the power button is pressed (battery only) the light at the front of the laptop comes on, as does the quiet fan, but the screen is black, no Dell logo.  Similar scenario when the latop is plugged into mains.  Started going wrong last w/e apparently.  She took out the battery and reinserted and has been using it this week.

Any ideas as to the most likely fault?  What's the best thing to try?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Dell laptop dead... ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2018, 07:55:31 pm »
Could be a dodgy connection to the screen. Try plugging it into a separate monitor, and see if that displays anything.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2018, 08:20:56 pm »
Also worth trying re-seating the RAM, if its accessible behind a flap.

« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2018, 08:53:19 pm »
Thanks.  I did get her to plug her phone into one of the USB ports, but it didn't start to charge.  So no power to USB ports?  Unfortunately atm she only has one large-ish phillips screwdriver.  Likelihood of dead hard drive? PSU?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2018, 10:17:12 pm »
A computer may only energise the USB ports when the USB host controller is properly initialised, so that's not necessarily indicative of a power problem, but certainly doesn't rule one out.

Doubt it's the hard drive.  I'd expect it to POST and give an "OS not found" error if that were the problem.

« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2018, 10:30:35 pm »
I think some laptops have a USB port that charges when the laptop is completely switched off but still plugged into the mains.

« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2018, 10:34:26 pm »
Might be a dying power supply, maybe working just well enough for the controller that runs the fans and the lights to power up, but no more.

« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2018, 12:13:58 am »
Thanks.

Found this  https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukdhs1/sln85632/dell-pc-does-not-turn-on-or-boot-into-windows?lang=en

Will see if I can get her to test laptop with another screen, and check RAM.  Perhaps on campus.  Only laptops in her house.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 26 November, 2018, 05:22:30 am »
If it’s the psu I may be able to help out as they seem to be breeding in my box of bits

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #9 on: 26 November, 2018, 11:35:18 am »
If the battery is dodgy, I've had some luck in the past with running it without a battery. Laptop won't start with the battery installed, but runs without the battery installed, just have it plugged into the wall.

« Reply #10 on: 26 November, 2018, 11:37:33 am »
Cheers Paul.  Thanks Hulver, will get her to try it.

« Reply #11 on: 26 November, 2018, 04:23:29 pm »
There are beep codes for failures. Ask your daughter to boot it up in a quiet room and listen for beeps.

Here are the beep codes for that laptop
https://www.parts-people.com/blog/2014/06/25/dell-inspiron-15r-5537-beep-codes-diagnostic-indicators/

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12 on: 26 November, 2018, 09:49:50 pm »
Have tried the fully draining the laptop?

The take battery out, unplug charger and keep the power button pressed for 1 minute?