Author Topic: London bridges bike and bus only  (Read 4625 times)

Re: London bridges bike and bus only
« Reply #25 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:45:16 am »
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/space-for-extra-cycle-lanes-on-1500-miles-of-londons-roads-a4477031.html

I have to say it. why take road space? There are many areas of London with hugely wide pavements.
Indeed grass verges which need mown by the council.
I know this is controversial - where I live there is a sweeping main road with grass verges. Take the verges and use that as a cycle lane.
Look at huge wide concrete pavements and use them.

Yes, in aread where the pavement is restricted then take road space.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:04:28 am »
Presumably because they're "pop-up" ie quick implementations and it's quicker to put lollipops or whatever on existing tarmac than to tarmac over grass.

That's in addition to the value of the grass itself, in soaking up heavy rain, habitat for insects, less solar absorption on a hot day, and all the other benefits of greenery. And that they're redistributing space from motor traffic to non-motor traffic rather than pedestrians to cyclists.

I'm impressed if they actually will be 2.2m width.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 23 June, 2020, 02:55:26 pm »
Points taken

« Reply #28 on: 23 June, 2020, 04:12:53 pm »
I would think that Westminster Bridge would be a much better choice for closure, partly to move the pollution away from St Thomas's Hospital and because it is less heavily used than Waterloo Bridge and also because it feeds into the mess of Parliament square where all the roads lose their sense of purpose. I suspect the reason for not doing will be down to 'security' and so on and the punching power of MPs in discussion. I have no feelings either way about London Bridge, although as someone too tight to pay the congestion charge, I can see the argument not to close Tower Bridge which might make more sense in theory.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:12:16 pm »
it feeds into the mess of Parliament square where all the roads lose their sense of purpose.
Roads as metaphor...  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 24 June, 2020, 09:37:03 am »
where I live there is a sweeping main road with grass verges. Take the verges and use that as a cycle lane.
Look at huge wide concrete pavements and use them.

Good point. Huge grass verges and wide unused pavements are one of the defining features of London. It's what's on all the postcards.