Author Topic: Trangia mini  (Read 15631 times)

Re: Trangia mini
« Reply #25 on: 11 May, 2017, 03:18:25 pm »
I've never used any sort of Trangia but as for windshields, I'd say that gas stoves need them too.

True enough but Trangia kind of sell the mini as a lightweight, standalone stove set. As in not needing another windshield. Not the case and if that's what you expect then the stove disappoints.

Meths burners efficiency? Can stove efficiency can have many factors affecting it.from.number/size of jet.holes to height of pot above them.However IMHO heavier stoves have.an element of heat sink when lighting I've seen tests with different meths stoves sat in cold water and timed until they bloom. Trangia and white box stoves took longer and the claim was the burning meths had to heat a lot more metal before the meths got warm enough to go through the jets.

My agg can type stove had a little tray that you put it in a little meths in that tray is lit with the main can reservoir of.meths. The tray meths lit easier and generated enough heat to get the main stove burning through the jet holes. It makes it more efficient. IMHO any meths stove shouldn't need more than about 15ml of meths to boil cold water at 500ml.

« Reply #26 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:27:53 pm »
Second the triangle.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #27 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:39:37 pm »
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/vargo-triad-titanium-stove-2302-p.asp
Still need some sort of wind shield but it's a lovely little stove.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 14 May, 2017, 11:34:16 pm »
Dropped to -1c when I was at Kielder, I couldn't get my Trangia lit. The person in the next tent lent me there gas stove.

The procedure for lighting a Trangia in extreme low temperatures probably doesn't work with the Mini or Triangle, as it depends on being able to suspend the burner above the cap (with o-ring removed, and a small amount of fuel burning within, possibly using something as a wick to get it started).

I've lit a Trangia burner straight from the freezer by spilling some meths on the top of the burner and holding a cigarette lighter to it, but that took some effort, and was in warm air.  The coldest I've used it in the wild has been a little above zero.

It's the opposite problem to gas at low temperatures: Once you get a meths burner going, it'll keep going.  With gas it'll light instantly, but the butane won't boil quickly enough to keep up with demand.  The proper solution is a stove with a pre-heat loop that can run on liquid butane from an inverted cartridge (the Trangia gas burner is such a design).  The bodge is to immerse the cartridge in a pan of liquid water, increasing the supply of heat to the boiling gas.

Camping at well below -6°C in the Netherlands in January I had problems with both the gas cart I had taken with me for my multi fuel stove, and my meths stove. The gas cart/multi fuel stove combo gave a puff of flame, then wouldn't respond. No fuel flow, nothing. I was suffering from frost nip already, and couldn't face trying to persuade the gas to work, so switched to the meths stove. At this temp, I was 15°C below the working temp for meths to burn properly. I tried the plenty of meths and a lighter approach, but that didn't work, I tried flint and steel, ferro rod, I even used a lump of flaming cotton dropped into the meths. In the end the solution that worked was a NATO wind proof match dropped vertically into the meths so it could prewarm a small area, and wick a little. Eventually the stove lit. I was using a Evernew Meths burner.

The evernew burner has a higher heat output, but also uses about 50% more fuel than the trangia.

AIUI the drinks can burners make up for their incredibly light weight with increased fuel consumption, but YMMV.

Yeah, a lot of stoves are very fuel inefficient. I have a Zelph starlite stove, which is very similar to the speedster stoves. It's the most fuel efficient meths stove I've found (I've tried nearly a dozen), it's very light, and you can pre fuel it if all you're expecting is a single burn. This pre fuel ability also means you can stick it, fuelled, in your sleeping bag, or coat pocket, or cleavage to warm up.

If you want reliable, light, and compact, then the MSR Micro rocket is a very good choice. Needs a wind shield like any gas stove, but you can often get away with a rock, or a bag, or even your own body.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #29 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:34:11 pm »
For low temperature meths stoves, it's probably best to use a wick, and light the wick with a match so the match only has to warm the meths on the wick. It can also help to get the burner running properly if you put a tray under the burner with a small amount of meths in, and light that.

Gas can work well, but you need to get a low-temperature variety of canister that's got as much of the lower temperature propane and iso-butane in the mix as possible, and as little n-butane as possible (n-butane has its 4 carbon atoms in a line, iso-butane has them in a Y).
MSR IsoPro (red), JetBoil, or Primus Powergas are suitable.
It also helps to use a remote canister stove with a preheat loop, and run the canister upside down so you don't use the propane first like you do with a canister-top stove.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:40:28 pm »
For low temperature meths stoves, it's probably best to use a wick, and light the wick with a match so the match only has to warm the meths on the wick. It can also help to get the burner running properly if you put a tray under the burner with a small amount of meths in, and light that.

Which is effectively what I improvised.

Gas can work well, but you need to get a low-temperature variety of canister that's got as much of the lower temperature propane and iso-butane in the mix as possible, and as little n-butane as possible (n-butane has its 4 carbon atoms in a line, iso-butane has them in a Y).
MSR IsoPro (red), JetBoil, or Primus Powergas are suitable.
It also helps to use a remote canister stove with a preheat loop, and run the canister upside down so you don't use the propane first like you do with a canister-top stove.

I was using Primus PowerGas, on a remote canister stove, it just didn't want to play at those temps.

J
--

« Reply #31 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:18:05 pm »
I was using Primus PowerGas, on a remote canister stove, it just didn't want to play at those temps.
-6°C should be OK.
Was it a part-used canister?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:20:18 pm »
-6°C should be OK.
Was it a part-used canister?

Nope, brand new. I'm not sure what was going on, I've since tried the same canister and stove at room temp, lit first time. I don't know for certain it was -6°C, it could have been colder, the forecast was -6°C, and I got frost nip on my toes...

J
--

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:22:02 pm »
Meths burners are silent, which is something that anyone who's been awakened by a fellow camper's XGK rocket engine will appreciate.
:-[

Sorry...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #34 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:34:26 pm »
Meths burners are silent, which is something that anyone who's been awakened by a fellow camper's XGK rocket engine will appreciate.

Sorry...

Sorry
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #35 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:56:29 pm »
Nope, brand new. I'm not sure what was going on, I've since tried the same canister and stove at room temp, lit first time. I don't know for certain it was -6°C, it could have been colder, the forecast was -6°C, and I got frost nip on my toes...
In which case I'd suspect that a bit of water (eg condensation) had got into the valve at some point, and frozen.

I wouldn't have thought -6 was cold enough for frost nip, the symptoms of which are that the frozen bits of skin peel later, like sunburn, but in thicker sheets. It's painless, apart from returning cirulation as you warm up. yes, I have had it
Not chilblains?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 15 May, 2017, 03:05:12 pm »
In which case I'd suspect that a bit of water (eg condensation) had got into the valve at some point, and frozen.

That's my working theory.

I wouldn't have thought -6 was cold enough for frost nip, the symptoms of which are that the frozen bits of skin peel later, like sunburn, but in thicker sheets. It's painless, apart from returning cirulation as you warm up. yes, I have had it
Not chilblains?

Frost nip I think, that's what the doc called it. Damaged the nerves too. Took months for feeling to return :(

J
--

« Reply #37 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:04:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure most gas canisters contain a mix of gasses, which can separate. Once separated, Butane will condense to a liquid at -6 and quite happily form a lock in valves. I've had this happen in microbore (so 8mm) gas pipes from a large cylinder on a narrowboat, nothing I could do until the coal fire warmed the boat up.

Doesn't the trangia burner have a wick in it?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #38 on: 15 May, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »
All canister gases are liquid inside the canister because they are under pressure, and the liquid gas feeds up the hose to the burner head as part of normal operation. The only point is that if you feed liquid gas and your stove doesn't have a preheat loop, you'll get a big flare rather than a cooking flame.

In addition to which...
a) The PowerGas canisters under discussion are a mix of isobutane (boiling point -12) and propane (boiling point -42)
b) The mix can't separate, any more than the alcohol can separate out of the water in your beer
c) The boiling point of a mix is between the boiling points of the components, depending on the mix ratio

« Reply #39 on: 15 May, 2017, 05:31:56 pm »
AIUI the drinks can burners make up for their incredibly light weight with increased fuel consumption, but YMMV.

I figure having that sitting to one side getting the kettle on will allow me to focus on playing with an adjustable gas stove for the main meal.

This makes good sense, particularly if you're doing more complicated cooking, where swapping pans between stoves is less hassle than adjusting the output of a meths burner.

My highly unscientific kitchen testing showed it boiled a full kettle (well one and a bit cup's-worth of hot water) from one load of fuel with fuel to spare, so I'm not really bothered about fuel efficiency at all. I'm not proposing this as a solution for cold-weather camping at all!!!

« Reply #40 on: 15 May, 2017, 11:21:01 pm »
All canister gases are liquid inside the canister because they are under pressure, and the liquid gas feeds up the hose to the burner head as part of normal operation. The only point is that if you feed liquid gas and your stove doesn't have a preheat loop, you'll get a big flare rather than a cooking flame.

In addition to which...
a) The PowerGas canisters under discussion are a mix of isobutane (boiling point -12) and propane (boiling point -42)
b) The mix can't separate, any more than the alcohol can separate out of the water in your beer
c) The boiling point of a mix is between the boiling points of the components, depending on the mix ratio
The boiling point of butane is -1C, not -12C. You are thinking of isobutane.

As the gas gets used up in a cylinder, the level of liquid drops. Unless you are inverting the cylinder, the liquid is undergoing a phase change to gas in the cylinder. If you are not using a camp cooker, (ie a house cooker or caravan) inverting a cylinder so that liquid is fed to the stove is very dangerous. At best the cooker will just go out, at worse you'll get an uncontrolled flamethrower.

Propane 'boils off' at a faster rate than butane. That's just physics.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #41 on: 16 May, 2017, 03:49:58 am »
Doesn't the trangia burner have a wick in it?

My Trangia stove does not have a wick. AIUI, the stove is a double walled cylinder, with a series of holes/jets around the upper rim of the cylinder. There's a gap between the inner wall and the base of the cylinder, so that when fuel is poured into the cylinder it fills the gap between the inner and outer walls of the cylinder, as well as filling the center of the cylinder. When the stove is first lit, the burning alcohol sends alcohol vapor up through the holes/jets in the top of the stove. This results in flames coming out of the jets at a higher temperature and pressure than if you just lit a pool of alcohol on fire.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #42 on: 16 May, 2017, 10:29:10 am »

Sorry...

Sorry
Shhh! She's asleep!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #43 on: 16 May, 2017, 01:37:22 pm »
...a mix of isobutane (boiling point -12)...
I think you need to cultivate your reading skills a bit  ;D

« Reply #44 on: 16 May, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »
inverting a cylinder so that liquid is fed to the stove is very dangerous.
It's fine, but you have to use a stove with a preheat loop (as I've mentioned more than once in this topic).
Several such stoves come with a canister stand expressly designed to hold the canister upside down without it rolling about.
Cultivate your reading skills some more  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #45 on: 16 May, 2017, 01:42:26 pm »

Sorry...

Sorry
Not Sorry ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #46 on: 16 May, 2017, 01:46:55 pm »
My Trangia stove does not have a wick. AIUI, the stove is a double walled cylinder, with a series of holes/jets around the upper rim of the cylinder. There's a gap between the inner wall and the base of the cylinder, so that when fuel is poured into the cylinder it fills the gap between the inner and outer walls of the cylinder, as well as filling the center of the cylinder. When the stove is first lit, the burning alcohol sends alcohol vapor up through the holes/jets in the top of the stove. This results in flames coming out of the jets at a higher temperature and pressure than if you just lit a pool of alcohol on fire.
It it's cold, the alcohol in the cavity between the inner and outer walls doesn't vaporize fast enough to give jets until the burning pool in the center has heated the body of the burner. This can be slow enough that a more forceful heating using a tray or can lid under the burner is worth while.

« Reply #47 on: 16 May, 2017, 02:01:56 pm »
...a mix of isobutane (boiling point -12)...
I think you need to cultivate your reading skills a bit  ;D
Whoops, missed the iso.

Unless you are inverting the canister, the mix is undergoing a phase change in the canister. Propane will boil off first, creating an increasing fraction of the isobutane.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 16 May, 2017, 03:03:55 pm »
Unless you are inverting the canister, the mix is undergoing a phase change in the canister. Propane will boil off first, creating an increasing fraction of the isobutane.

It's been a while since I was let loose in a chemistry lab, but IIRC fractional distillation depends on fairly precise control of the temperature.

If sufficient heat is available that the contents of the cylinder are kept well above the boiling point of all fractions (as you'd expect in normal warm-weather use), they should be used up according to the proportions present.  The problem comes when it's warm enough to boil the propane but not the (iso)butane, and the heat used by the boiling propane exacerbates the problem by further lowering the temperature.

With a liquid-fed stove, you only need to produce enough gas to light the stove, and maintain pressure in the cartridge to push the liquid out.  It doesn't matter if this is achieved entirely by propane gas, as very little is used up.  (The liquid fed to the stove will be a proportional mixture.)

« Reply #49 on: 16 May, 2017, 07:58:50 pm »
Propane will boil off first, creating an increasing fraction of the isobutane.
Indeed, which is why canister top stoves get weaker and weaker as the canister gas gets used.

However, it's not the case that you burn the propane, then the butane, or that you use them in the same proportion as the mix (with an upright canister).

Taking a regular Coleman 70% butane, 30% propane canister...
At 10°C, the vapour pressure of pure propane is about 6.5 bar, and for pure butane it's about 1.5 bar (lookup properties). The partial pressure of propane is 6.5*0.3=1.95 bar, and the partial pressure of butane is 1.5*0.7=1.05 bar, and the pressure inside the canister is 1.95+1.05=3 bar (2 bar net), which is plenty to get a decent flow of gas.
The gas mix you burn will be 1.95/3=65% propane and 1.05/3=35% butane, so you are burning the propane nearly twice as fast as the butane.
By the time the canister is 60% used, there's virtually no propane left. You've got a pressure inside the canister of 1.5 bar (0.5 bar net), so the maximum flow rate is only a quarter of what it was with the new canister, and you've got evaporative cooling taking it down still further.

The initial vapour pressures change with different temperatures (eg at 40°, propane is 14 bar and butane is about 3.8 bar), but you'll always be using propane faster than butane.