Author Topic: Favourite Campsite  (Read 21578 times)

Re: Favourite Campsite
« Reply #25 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:36:57 pm »
Another couple we love are:

The Moon & Sixpence

We stayed there when our daughter was still sleeping in a travel cot in the caravan awning.  That would have been 1977 or 1978.  She's grown a bit since then.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:39:28 pm »
^^^ It's a bit pricy but has a most posh log cabin loo block with Radio 2 piped in 24/7.

corshamjim

« Reply #27 on: 10 September, 2010, 10:17:42 pm »
The Plume of Feathers, Princetown on Dartmoor

The Plume of Feathers Inn, Princetown, Dartmoor, Devon, England

Ok, so it's a pub too.  I camped there for my stag do, so my opinion is possibly biased.  Facilities are (or were when I was there a few years ago) excellent.  The food and beer at the pub are good and the location super.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #28 on: 10 September, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »
It's been thirteen years or more since I was last there, and so they may no longer exist or be recognisable, but I love the location of the campsite at the Wasdale Head Inn (was very basic when I was last there) and the National trust one a bit further down the road (less basic).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #29 on: 10 September, 2010, 11:08:33 pm »
It's been thirteen years or more since I was last there, and so they may no longer exist or be recognisable, but I love the location of the campsite at the Wasdale Head Inn (was very basic when I was last there) and the National trust one a bit further down the road (less basic).
I camped in the field next to the Inn a year ago if that is the one you are talking about.  Both sites were still there. 

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #30 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:52:56 am »
I camped in the field next to the Inn a year ago if that is the one you are talking about.  Both sites were still there. 

That's the one.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #31 on: 13 September, 2010, 11:49:11 am »
Rueras, Switzerland - just a few km on from Disentis/Muster. Beautiful valley location with stunning panoramic alpine views, a little portakabin shower/toilet block with piping hot running water. There's even a little cabin with a kettle in that you can use. Cheap by Swiss standards too at £12 a night for two people in a tent by bike.

Rheincamping Rueras (Naturcamping) in Rueras / Switzerland ( Graubünden / Vorderrhein )
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #32 on: 13 September, 2010, 07:25:08 pm »
Achmelvich on West coast of Scotland. Beautiful position. My picture does have my tent in it, you can just see it to the left of the others.

That and one near Llandanwg in North Wales near Harlech. Simply because I've been there so often and had so many great times.

« Reply #33 on: 13 September, 2010, 07:42:10 pm »
Cunning angle of Achmelvich there, no caravans and no chip shop. One of my favourite places though, did you get to the Achmelvich Castle? You have to show the beach.

I made a video of the far North West, when I was in an arty mood.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #34 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:07:30 pm »
I missed the chip shop, caravans yes, but even 'vanners are allowed in nice spots. That said I couldn't find the castle either. I thought I had tramped all over the healdand but obviously not. Saving it for next time.

Great video (and the others I looked at)   :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 14 September, 2010, 07:44:26 pm »
I loved the Achmelvich campsite - the road up to it is unbelievable, we stopped on the walk back into Lochinver to bask on some rocks above the loch.  It really was that blue.

The site at Scourie is good fun as well, if only for how much of a loony the proprietor is.  The place is speckled with bits of doggerel and DO NOT warnings.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #36 on: 19 September, 2010, 12:59:47 pm »

The site at Scourie is good fun as well, if only for how much of a loony the proprietor is.  The place is speckled with bits of doggerel and DO NOT warnings.

Don't diss Angus- his bark is much worse than his bite- he reminds me of my grandad, also from that part of the world- a brusque way of communicating that some of us take as rude but actually genuinely helpful when it matters. 

« Reply #37 on: 19 September, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »
I'm very fond of the Camping Municipal in Beaune, if only for its location. It's about 600km from Calais, five minutes off the autoroute, just outside the old town walls (so there's a lively and characterful town with a wonderful Saturday market in walking distance) in the heart of some beautiful wine-growing country. Each pitch is surrounded by a thick beech (I think) hedge for privacy, which make it feel a bit zoo-like, but each evening everyone sits in the entrance to their enclosure and chats happily with passers-by. It's the perfect place for an overnight stop to/from the south of France.

Oh, and it's really really cheap! :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #38 on: 19 September, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »
+1 for Achmelvich and Scourie (both of which are pretty good bases for kayak tours too). The site a bit further north at at Durness is pretty good too -

especially if you can get one of the pitches near the cliffs with views like this -

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #39 on: 25 September, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »
Best kayak campsite, although cheating really- a wild camp somewhere on the shore of Loch nan Uamh

because you get sunsets like this (on the other beach just a few yards away)

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #40 on: 27 September, 2010, 12:02:01 pm »
Oh I forgot- the Am Fuaran bar in Althandhu in Coigach north of Ullapool lets you camp next to it- so you get the wild camping experience but a handy hostelry in stumbling distance- I had a great evening there.

They're building a new camp site at the Am Fuaran, below the pub next to the sea. It was open in August but had no facilities open as they were not ready. I rode down the track to the camp site and had a look and it will be very nice when finished.

The old campsite at Achnahaird in the same area of Scotland was also one of my favourites.  I have seen dolphins from the beach near it
and it was very handy for the climbing at Reiff. But it closed for some reason.  I heard a rumour that it was reopening but can find nothing on the web- anyone here know anything?

It was still closed in August, we were very disappointed.

For watching dolpins the campsite at Rosemarkie on the Black Isle takes some beating. It's a lovely camp site, right next to the sea and it is a short walk (or kayak) from the site to Chanonry Point where there is some of the best shore (or kayak) based dolphin watching in the world -

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #41 on: 27 September, 2010, 07:09:19 pm »
RAAAAAWWWWWRRR!

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #42 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:58:18 pm »

Don't diss Angus- his bark is much worse than his bite- he reminds me of my grandad, also from that part of the world- a brusque way of communicating that some of us take as rude but actually genuinely helpful when it matters. 

I'd hate you to believe I was offended.  I spoke to a couple of people who were, but I found it all highly amusing - hence my mentioning it here :)

« Reply #43 on: 09 October, 2010, 10:58:21 pm »
Grizedale Camping Site |  - Home

Only one I know of in the Lakes that still lets you have a proper fire :D

« Reply #44 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:38:31 am »
^^^ It's a bit pricy but has a most posh log cabin loo block with Radio 2 piped in 24/7.

I think hearing Chris Evans would get the bowels moving quite swiftly...

This place is quite a good place to be during the village-wide beer festival over Mayday bank holiday!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

plum

« Reply #45 on: 10 October, 2010, 11:23:21 am »
Half term the week after next and I'm thinking two or three days walking, Lakes or Peaks. Drive/little tent camping. Anyone want to recommend a site?

« Reply #46 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:10:34 pm »
Half term the week after next and I'm thinking two or three days walking, Lakes or Peaks. Drive/little tent camping. Anyone want to recommend a site?

Grizedale Camping Site |  - Home

Only one I know of in the Lakes that still lets you have a proper fire :D

:D

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #47 on: 12 October, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »

I'd hate you to believe I was offended.  I spoke to a couple of people who were, but I found it all highly amusing - hence my mentioning it here :)
Yes- he is a bit obsessed with dogs pee too- there's a very odd cartoon sketch of a dog weeing on someone's foot, if I remember correctly, near the toilet block, I think. 

Simonb

« Reply #48 on: 05 May, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »
I'm very fond of the Camping Municipal in Beaune

+1

A firm favourite with family B too.