Author Topic: Heads up - "That" Argos tent on sale.  (Read 3826 times)

Heads up - "That" Argos tent on sale.
« on: 21 August, 2010, 07:43:22 pm »
Buy Pro Action Hike Lite 1 Person Tent. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

£15 (plus £6 home delivery if it's not in stock locally).

Re: Heads up - "That" Argos tent on sale.
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2010, 08:12:43 pm »
LOL, good luck finding it locally.  I just tried my postcode (nothing within 6.5 miles), my work postcode (nothing within 3 miles), my parents postcode (nothing with 35 miles), my old address (nothing within 20 miles), and a few other random cities (nothing).

I've found this in the past, when anything is on sale with a decent discount.  The last time I actually really searched something down, I had to drive 50 miles away to buy it, which was worth if for the discount, but in this case I don't think it is!
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2010, 08:14:17 pm »
Bait and switch.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2010, 11:20:00 pm »
I think because it's August and thus Xmas they've stopped supplying stores with them as they don't usually have tents in the winter catalogue *; they probably have loads in the central depot waiting for next "summer" (26th Feb IIRC),

grab one now even with the delivery fee before they go into hibernation and re-emerge at twice the price; you will not be disappointed

*edit; actually they have loads, but not this one, so it could be the last of the line, to be replaced by this; looks pretty good if a little long for carrying on a bike

Buy Lichfield Treklite 200 - 2 Person Tent. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

ps does anyone else get that annoying (but occasionally useful) PriceGong pop-up when you search the Argos site?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2010, 11:36:46 pm »
Agreed.  It's still a bargain at £21, assuming they actually have some.  Its only real faults are pitching inner-first, being bright orange (thus attracting flying beasties) and the ineffectual 'porch' space not really being any use for more than a pair of shoes and some empty panniers.  It's cheap enough that the materials are reasonably durable, it's dead easy to pitch, and the height makes sitting up (and therefore getting dressed etc) inside easy.

Highly recommended for anyone not ready to commit to a 'proper' lightweight tent, or only likely to be using it for a weekend or so at a time.  Or as a spare for when you want to go camping with someone who doesn't have any lightweight gear, or whatever.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2010, 11:52:15 pm »
Agreed.  It's still a bargain at £21, assuming they actually have some.  Its only real faults are pitching inner-first

actually you could probably pitch it by laying out the flysheet and pitching from inside (at a push) the inner tent does hang from the poles even if you need to first lay it flat to locate the poles in their eyelets

best "erection whilst tipping it down" tent in that respect is my Saunders Galaxy; you can lay the flysheet out on the ground and after sliding the poles through have a dry space to put everything under with the use of just two tent pegs

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2010, 07:11:24 pm »
Ordered Saturday, arrived today.  :)

Perfect timing, too.  Just as I wheeled the bike up to the flat the delivery man was ringing my door bell.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:08:19 pm »
[thread resurrection]

I used mine in anger for the first time this weekend while camping at Volio Acres.

The tent was easy enough to pitch.  As noted up-thread, the porch isn’t that spacious – but good enough to footwear, etc.  It was also very easy to find at night, not due to any reflectives but the fact it was the only orange tent in the field.

This is definitely not a cold-weather tent.  It is well ventilated.  More specifically, there are a large number of mesh panels which do not have any covers other than the tent outer.  Wind is sufficiently blocked, but there’s no way to ‘seal’ up the tent.  As I don’t plan on any winter camping, this is not a concern.  A good mat and bag should be enough to keep you warm in cooler temps.

Though not spacious, there’s sufficient room for sitting and changing.  But if I was faced with a day stuck in the tent I’d definitely consider finding a cafe or pub in which to spend my time.

Overall, I think this tent was a great bargain and I’m glad I bought it.  I may, at some point, go for something ‘better’, but this will do me just fine for now.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:56:35 pm »
This is definitely not a cold-weather tent.  It is well ventilated.  More specifically, there are a large number of mesh panels which do not have any covers other than the tent outer.  Wind is sufficiently blocked, but there’s no way to ‘seal’ up the tent.  As I don’t plan on any winter camping, this is not a concern.  A good mat and bag should be enough to keep you warm in cooler temps.

I second that.

I froze in mine at the Mildenhall rally last year.  The air temperature wasn't particularly low, but it was extremely windy, and the tent does very little to stop wind blowing under the flysheet and through the copious mesh.

It is however surprisingly good in the rain.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »
Happy is good
Getting there...