Author Topic: The LifeSaver Systems Water Bottle  (Read 2468 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
The LifeSaver Systems Water Bottle
« on: 30 December, 2010, 01:50:37 am »
This is a Public Information Broadcast to spread the word about products from http://www.lifesaversystems.com/ which were introduced to me today by a friend of mine who works for the company.

A water bottle that will convert dirt and disease laden water into potable water more or less instantly for anybody travelling in wild country. A Jerry Can which can process 20,000L, enough for a village or refugee camp. Inspirational products with myriad applications. Follow the link to the presentation from CEO Michael Pritchard for more details.

literida

Re: The LifeSaver Systems Water Bottle
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2010, 10:54:23 am »
Damn - wish I'd put that on my christmas list  ::-)

Might come in handy in Northern Ireland too...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:28:54 pm »
Great kit. :thumbsup:

Almost perfectly pointless in the UK, but great kit. 

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »
All joking aside one to have in your bag thinks.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2011, 03:25:28 am »
Nice idea, but I prefer to keep the filtration system and the water container separate. That way one filter can be used to fill a whole bunch of containers for a bunch of people, and the individual containers don't cost as much. Also, what happens if a container is damaged?

A pump filter with an intake hose like the Katadyn ( Products - Katadyn Products Inc. ) lets you get water from sources where it would be very difficult to fill a regular water bottle, like very shallow streams or pools of water in boulder fields. Pump filters also come with adaptors to pump filtered water into the drinking tube of a Camelbak or other hydration bladder.

Water filters are essential for backcountry travel where I live (unless you like contracting giardia lamblia), so I'm going to claim some knowledge in this area.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »
The katadyn Pocket sure looks like a neat product. I like the field washable filter. However the Katadyn products filter around the 0.2~0.3 micron (2~300 nm) level. According to the Lifesaver website, "The smallest bacteria are about 200nm (200 nanometers) in size, the smallest viruses are about 25nm. The holes in LIFESAVER membranes are 15nm so nothing is getting through.”

ISTM that's worth knowing if you are drinking Pakistan floodwater.

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »
You do have to make some decision on where you are going to be getting water from, and how likely various problems are. There's no point in getting something that will see you OK taking water out of the Ganges in Calcutta if you are only going to use it in upland areas of the UK where the only problem is a moderate chance of giardia (a protozoan), and the effluent from the odd dead sheep.

The smaller the holes in the filter, the quicker it's going to clog up. Bear in mind also that activated charcoal for removal of nasty chemicals often lasts a very much shorter time than the filter it's attached to. "Smallest bacteria are 200nm" is only of any relevance if they cause illness in humans and are likely to be found in drinking water supply locations. Otherwise it's just marketing waffle.

I use the Katadyn Mini, which is cleanable so it lasts a decent time, takes up not much room in my pannier, and which doesn't have much to go wrong with it so I don't find it's got dead batteries when I try to use it.

« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2011, 06:51:37 pm »
The Katadyn filters seem to offer longer service life (in terms of liters of water treated) and faster pumping, with the tradeoff that the smaller viruses aren't removed. Katadyn does offer chlorine treatment as well as something to neutralize the chlorine taste for viruses. Living and traveling where I do that's a pretty workable compromise, although I might feel differently if I were in Pakistan.

« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2011, 05:57:57 pm »
something to neutralize the chlorine taste for viruses.

The flavour neutralizing tablets are just vitamin C, which is a lot cheaper than the official tablets.