Author Topic: What do I need  (Read 6848 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What do I need
« Reply #25 on: 15 January, 2011, 02:19:08 pm »
I reckon Trangias are the best all-round for cycle camping.  They're reasonably lightweight, as they include the pans.  Astoundingly windproof.  Liquid fuel is a win because you don't have to carry a spare cannister on account of not knowing how much is left in your current one.  They're also silent and not going to explode and remove your eyebrows on startup.

The main disadvantage is they're a bit slow to get going, especially in the cold.  Not really a problem for cooking food, but the caffeine addicts tend to cite this as a major disadvantage.  If you're after quick brew-ups rather than proper cooking, a basic gas stove is probably a better bet.

Of course if you can go without caffeine or bacon sandwiches in the morning, it's entirely possible to camp without any kind of stove.  Not really the same though.

« Reply #26 on: 15 January, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »
The main disadvantage is they're a bit slow to get going, especially in the cold.  Not really a problem for cooking food, but the caffeine addicts tend to cite this as a major disadvantage.  If you're after quick brew-ups rather than proper cooking, a basic gas stove is probably a better bet.

I've found pumping and priming the white gas stoves I've owned to be at least as time consuming as getting my Trangia warmed up and going, even in sub-freezing temps. Looking at the entire process for each stove type, Trangias are probably about the easiest to use. I'll still use my MSR Dragonfly for backcountry travel because of the low overnight temps and cold water where I travel, but future cycle camping trips will be with the Trangia.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 15 January, 2011, 05:14:51 pm »
When you get the hang of the Coleman stoves, they don't always need much pumping between runs.  You can get a good feel (literally) for how much pressure is left in the tank based on the resistance to the pump plunger.  Overpumping is, in some ways, worse because the flame leaps away from the burner and you have to let it all cool down before you can open the filler cap and bleed off the excess air.

Some stoves take an age to settle down to a blue flame, but the 550B (sold under various names, but generally with Multifuel in there somewhere) is very fast.  I believe it has no internal air bleed into the fuel line, which other Coleman stoves do.  The only thing I don't like about it is the stench of half-burnt white gas when it's turned off.  Apparently the smell is far worse if you run it on paraffin, like the British Army does  :sick:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 15 January, 2011, 07:35:05 pm »
Why is the intake pipework routed across the burner? (Coleman). For starters I was thinking of a Trangia mini and a couple of mess tins.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 15 January, 2011, 07:41:04 pm »
To vaporise liquid fuel.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #30 on: 15 January, 2011, 07:41:52 pm »
OIC ta.

Chris N

« Reply #31 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:05:03 pm »
For starters I was thinking of a Trangia mini and a couple of mess tins.

You'll probably need a windshield with the Mini Trangia - it's not as good as the full size version if it's a bit blowy.

« Reply #32 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:06:28 pm »

For bog roll, raiding some of that flat-pack interleaved stuff from the loos at work is better than using normal domestic roll.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that.

« Reply #33 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:22:23 pm »
If you're hard and you're only camping in summer you can do without the mat; I have. 

Noooooo. I'm clearly soft - I tried this once and never again.

« Reply #34 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:26:24 pm »
I can't camp these days without my Downmat and sleeping bag. Soooo comfy, snuggly, warm, cosy. Ahhh. :)

We did actually sleep for a month after our NZ trip on our Downmats in the living room.
We finally migrated to the bed, but are still in our sleeping bags.  :-[

« Reply #35 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »
I can't camp these days without my Downmat and sleeping bag. Soooo comfy, snuggly, warm, cosy. Ahhh. :)

We did actually sleep for a month after our NZ trip on our Downmats in the living room.
We finally migrated to the bed, but are still in our sleeping bags.  :-[

Thats a hoot......

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #36 on: 16 January, 2011, 12:28:22 am »
I reckon Trangias are the best all-round for cycle camping.  They're reasonably lightweight, as they include the pans.  Astoundingly windproof.  Liquid fuel is a win because you don't have to carry a spare cannister on account of not knowing how much is left in your current one.  They're also silent and not going to explode and remove your eyebrows on startup.

Of course if you can go without caffeine or bacon sandwiches in the morning, it's entirely possible to camp without any kind of stove.  Not really the same though.

*N+1 alert*

The new superfab trangias come with the usual fuel burner AND a special gas burner attachment so that if you want a quick brew rather than a three-pan casserole, you can use the gas instead.

« Reply #37 on: 16 January, 2011, 01:42:35 am »
On the Trangia website the gas burner attachment looks like an extra cost accessory. It weighs and (at US prices) costs more than many gas cartridge stoves. It really looks like I could fit my Snow Peak gas cartridge stove (or an MSR Pocket Rocket) with a gas cartridge into my Trangia cookset if I wanted to cook with gas. Granted, the Trangia attachment lets you flip the gas cartridge upside down for cold weather cooking, but I'd rather use Coleman fuel/white gas for cold weather. Very clever, but this N+1 is going to wait a long time before I spend my money on it.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:56:32 am »
Why is the intake pipework routed across the burner? (Coleman). For starters I was thinking of a Trangia mini and a couple of mess tins.

It does two things - it vapourises the liquid fuel (whatever the temperature may be outside) but also keeps the tank pressurised.  Unless you run the stove at full power you shouldn't have to add pressure after the initial lighting-up procedure.

A SVEA 123 (which I'd rather like) has no pump; it relies entirely on self-pressurisation.  However, that one requires priming with an extra dribble of liquid fuel (the warmth of your hands around the fuel tank can often induce it to squirt out a little white gas for priming), which the Coleman stove doesn't
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2011, 06:04:30 pm »
Self pressurising petrol stoves need respect, as they can get into a feedback loop and run away. There should be a safety valve on the filler cap to stop the stove exploding, but if the valve blows you've got a 4ft jet of flame coming out which isn't going to do a tent any good.
Running full blast under a large pan (spaghetti for 10) is a good way of provoking runaway.

« Reply #40 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:00:08 pm »
I'd say bare minimum is:

Rack
Panniers
Tent
Mat
Sleeping bag.
Head Torch

We tour in Britain, mostly for weekends, there are pubs, cafes and super/mini markets everywhere. You don't need a stove or cooking stuff although it means you aren't so poor in the long run. If you don't know if you'll like it, borrow stuff and see how it goes.

If you are anywhere near London, we can lend you anything :). When we met, clarion had 3 tents and I had 6 and we both had stoves, mats, pans, sleeping bags etc so we have duplicates of pretty much everything, except where we've upgraded and got 6 or so ::-).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #41 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:01:46 pm »
If you're hard and you're only camping in summer you can do without the mat; I have. 

Noooooo. I'm clearly soft - I tried this once and never again.

No, you're a Lady, we aren't designed to sleep on the ground (too many bends in our spine).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #42 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:05:58 pm »
Gaffer Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it shouldn't.... Gaffer Tape.
If it doesn't move and it should....  WD40.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #43 on: 27 January, 2011, 12:31:06 am »

It does two things - it vapourises the liquid fuel (whatever the temperature may be outside) but also keeps the tank pressurised.  Unless you run the stove at full power you shouldn't have to add pressure after the initial lighting-up procedure.

A SVEA 123 (which I'd rather like) has no pump; it relies entirely on self-pressurisation.  However, that one requires priming with an extra dribble of liquid fuel (the warmth of your hands around the fuel tank can often induce it to squirt out a little white gas for priming), which the Coleman stove doesn't

Known as the "Swedish Hand Grenade"....a friend had one go nova, on a scorched dry hillside in Cyprus, he thought he was going to burn the entire island down!     

Trangia's are good,  I see they've just launched this for approx £20 , looks suspiciously like the Clickstand which I think Charlotte has.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark