Author Topic: First Camp of the Year  (Read 2829 times)

First Camp of the Year
« on: 16 January, 2011, 07:08:35 pm »
Just back from a beautiful but windy weekend in Dorset :D. It was a lovely area, lots of beautiful quiet roads, rolling hills and wildlife. The site was nice and flat as well as being sheltered by a hedge and some trees where we were, which was useful. The new tent, courtesy of Pedaldog, was fantastic- slightly bigger than our Blacks Octane 3, which meant all three of us could eat inside quite comfortably. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Julian

• samoture
Re: First Camp of the Year
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:12:46 pm »
:thumbsup:

C & I were saying today that as soon as she's back from the Land of the Upside Down, we should go camping. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:18:56 pm »
:thumbsup:  You should come with us some time :)
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:25:08 pm »
That would be fun.  :D

How do you decide when to go?  We don't tend to do spontaneous camping, it tends to be 'sign up to a camping trip weeks in advance' stuff.  If you do do spontaneous, how do you know where to go, and isn't the train extortionate?

(Sorry for questions bordering on interrogation, I want to do more camping this year, and I suspect that this means spontaneity needed...)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:55:49 pm »
Which bit of Yorkshire is Dorzzet in then O:-)
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:16:18 pm »
What Julian asked, especially the bit about extortionate trains...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »
Wow did a camping trip to the White Peak (i.e. the cuddly friendly bit of the Peak District) last year.
Trains to the Midlandlands can be reasonably reasonable; East Midlands Trains have HSTs (wiv Guards Vans and Everyfink) to Nottingham, and Meridians (which are like Voyagers were before the bike space became dangly) to Derby/Chesterfield/Sheffield.
They do some flights for 50p £12 advance fares if you book now for March.  So that destroys the spontenaeity, but assists the budget.  How's about combining the camping trip with the 'Bent-only ride?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:36:50 pm »
In this case, since the site was 20 hilly miles from the nearest station, which would have been a not very fast train from Londonton, we hired a car.  A Ford Focus fitted all our camping gear, two folders, three people, and a bunch of extra blankets.

It was a planned trip - Association of Lightweight Campers Early Birds meet.  Best to book trains at least a week in advance, but we've come a cropper with early booking and not being able to book bikes on until much closer to the date. :-\  Another issue is when they decide late on to replace a crucial section with a bus link. >:(

Butterfly mentions that a Network Card is helpful, and we also have a Family & Friends railcard, which is useful when we have a bairn with us.

tbh, we do very few spontaneous camping trips, as so many of our weekends are booked up with meets... ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:06:39 pm »
A Ford Focus fitted all our camping gear, two folders, three people, and a bunch of extra blankets.

It was a planned trip - Association of Lightweight Campers

Is this lightweight as in, "you need blankets for January, you bunch of lightweights"?  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:12:55 pm »
Yeah.  That's us :D
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:32:35 pm »
Although, in the end, it wasn't that cold and we could have left them behind :). You never know - the coldest I have been whilst camping was in September and August :-\. I never try and camp without merino long johns and vest now, even cycle camping in the summer. :D

« Reply #11 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:36:54 pm »
I want to plan in some camping for 2011 too - no spontaneous camping for us either, I'm afraid - the dog has put a stop to that! I need to give anyone who offers to look after her a decent amount of notice. So we need to be a bit organised...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:42:35 pm »
Friday night was our second camp of the year.  Car-assisted again, I'm afraid, as we had to fit in visits to a party in Somerset, a party in Stourbridge, and tea & cake in Stroud all in one day :o

The welcome was warm, but the ground was very frosty when we arrived at 9pm.  Temperature was well below zero overnight, but we were easily warm enough, even without our extra blankets this time.

Beautiful morning Saturday.  Just a shame we saw so much of the M5 later.  Last night, we stayed at my parents' house, but decided to use the sleeping bag anyway. :)
Getting there...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #13 on: 06 February, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »
For Clarion and Butterfly's attention.

Fell Club ( I know their rules might make it awkward) are having a meet at the end of March at Wing Hall campsite!

Iff'n I'm not mistaken that was your first meeting?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #14 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:30:23 pm »
Our second, but first meeting with tents :)

We are restricted on fell club meets at the moment, but we might get to some next year. 8)