Author Topic: Camping coffee  (Read 11726 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Camping coffee
« on: 26 January, 2011, 09:27:17 pm »
Turns out that I lack a means of procuring the juice of the oily bean when awheel.  This Will Not Do.

Recommendations, please, for good coffee kit without too much faff?

I'm not a fan of the espresso made in alu Moka pots, really; coffee-bags should be an abomination but actually ain't at all bad and score high unfaff points; is the lexan cafetiere the state of the art?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Camping coffee
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:29:19 pm »
We've got cafetieres which turn into mugs. Double wall too, so insulaty goodness. Robert Dyas stock them from time to time, as do Lakeland.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:32:30 pm »
I could not find my Ikea Alu-Moka style when I went to Franceland last year so just bought a packet of filters; a 500ml UHT milk bottle and the scissors from a Victorinox makes a perfectly good filter funnel  :thumbsup:

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:33:37 pm »
Wottabout the Aeropress?
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »
This sounds like a heavy thread which will run and run and run.......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:36:09 pm »
if you don't like the Moka espresso it's very easy to turn it into an americano.

the MSR brass mesh coffee filter is good too.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:36:26 pm »
Starbucks VIA is passable if nothing else is available.
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:36:37 pm »
This I believe is where it's at for espresso on the move

Amazon.com: Handpresso HPWILD Wild 16-Bar Hand-Pump Portable Espresso Machine: Kitchen & Dining

and this one runs on the CO2 cannisters that power CO2 pumps nitrous oxide!!!!
Amazon.com: Mypressi Twist Portable Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »
Oh cmon guys we lesser mortals need to know....decent coffee on the range how do we acheive that...?

mr endon

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:42:21 pm »
I've said it before,
MSR MugMate one mug coffee filter for camping etc.
and I'll say it again.
Ultra fine ground bean and the Balkan method mean you can dispense with any and all kit/gadgetary/filtration gizmos.

« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:44:22 pm »
MSR sell these for  twice the price.  They are OK, and also work for leaf tea.

I've also got one of the cafetiere/mugs. Works well.

The Aeropress looks like something you'd see advertised to give a chap extra inches......

Lapsong Souchong teabags are my normal outdoors beverage, Wowbagger wasn't too impressed when he borrowed some though....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:46:16 pm »
Ah have a cup of smoky exhaust ...mmmmm

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »
This I believe is where it's at for espresso on the move

Amazon.com: Handpresso HPWILD Wild 16-Bar Hand-Pump Portable Espresso Machine: Kitchen & Dining
Not the greatest reviews and lots of faff...

Ultra fine ground bean and the Balkan method mean you can dispense with any and all kit/gadgetary/filtration gizmos.
You don't get away with a tease like that without details!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mr endon

« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:12:54 pm »
Google it.
Was introduced to it on a walk/pilgrimage thing from Mt Athos - no place like it on earth - to Skopje, reliant on volunteered hospitality.
aka Turkish coffee you get espresso strength brew that you can dilute/milk to taste, as with espresso. The grounds, being so fine, form a slurry on the bottom of the cooking utensil - traditionally a cezve but your steel mug or camping pan will do - which you either don't drink down to, or leave undisturbed when you pour into drinking vessels.
Dobre!

« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:24:46 pm »
Google it

I did. Interesting, I think I'd like that. Can you recommend an ibrik or suitable vessel?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:24:53 pm »
Although I'm fast becoming Very Fussy about coffee, I still don't think you can beat coffee bags when in the great outdoors - if only because it's a close enough approximation to real coffee without the faff.

If I could find someone selling fill-your-own disposable coffee bags, so I could make up a stack of them with my favourite bean, i think I'd be a very happy camper.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mr endon

« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:31:19 pm »
Google it

I did. Interesting, I think I'd like that. Can you recommend an ibrik or suitable vessel?

Anything in which you can boil water will serve, a camping billy, a single wall steel mug. The fineness of the grind is the key.

« Reply #17 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:32:04 pm »
Although I'm fast becoming Very Fussy about coffee, I still don't think you can beat coffee bags when in the great outdoors - if only because it's a close enough approximation to real coffee without the faff.

If I could find someone selling fill-your-own disposable coffee bags, so I could make up a stack of them with my favourite bean, i think I'd be a very happy camper.

A ziploc bag of your favourite grind & one of these ?  I bought one at REI in Seattle and used it down the coast..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #18 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »

A ziploc bag of your favourite grind & one of these ?  I bought one at REI in Seattle and used it down the coast..
I think you just made Charlotte's evening.

Mr Endon - ahh, Turkish.  I understand now. 

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »
I think you just made Charlotte's evening.

:D

This item is currently sold out or unavailable online.

:(
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:43:19 pm »
Sticking with this Balkan method, I take it than an ibrik that is described as "5 cup" in size refers to expresso-size cups?

mr endon

« Reply #21 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:55:09 pm »
I've never bought one, but I'm guessing yes, in much the same way that a '5 cup' espresso machine makes 5 espresso cups.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #22 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »
Well, a quick test of no-gear-required cowboy coffee is surprisingly good.  A matrix of testing options will now appear on the fridge, 'cos no-gear is camping gold.

(Grind rough so it settles easily; water, boil, allow to settle and cool.  The subtleties come in getting the quantity right, and in how long you boil, and whether you put the coffee in from cold or from the boil, and what roast to use (this gleaming after-dinner roast produces an oily sheen of delight but by crikey it's got a bitter kick).  Yay!  Science!)

« Reply #23 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:49:34 pm »
The MSR Mugmate is fab.  Crank your grinder to coarse and take a tobacco type tin of grinds with you.

« Reply #24 on: 27 January, 2011, 03:06:53 am »
IME, the MSR Mugmate does not last long enough to justify the price. The ears crack and rip loose. The coffee steeper that andrewc described is on my "I want" list, I may stop off at REI the next time I'm in Denver or Boulder.