Author Topic: Securing your bike when camping  (Read 4561 times)

Securing your bike when camping
« on: 27 February, 2011, 10:10:57 pm »
So what do peeps do? Ball and chain, fit alarm or hide it in the hedge like WB?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Re: Securing your bike when camping
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:33:10 pm »
D-lock it to the bike of the person you're riding with. Cable through the wheels. If there's something to lock it to in addition to the other bike, so much the better.

« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:36:37 pm »
We didn't really bother in New Zealand. We didn't have a great lock in any case (too heavy!). When necessary, we locked the two bikes together with our thin cable and padlock, and kept the bikes near the tent so we'd (hopefully) hear any would-be thief. 

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:41:18 pm »
It does depend on where you're camping, and how much risk there is.
I usually try and find some fairly solid object, eg a fence or picnic table or tree etc, then lock it to that. Preferably something fairly close to the tent, so I should hopefully notice/wake up if someone tries nicking it.
If there's no solid object I sometimes just thread the lock around tent poles / guy lines etc, so should be noticeable inside the tent if the bike is moved.

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:42:24 pm »
cable round a fence post or tree, mostly.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:48:52 pm »
I think if I take my Sabbath camping I will want a tent big enough for me and the bike inside!

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »
I think if I take my Sabbath camping I will want a tent big enough for me and the bike inside!
I felt like that about my Long Haul Trucker at first; it's amazing how the touring lifestyle can make one more trusting!

« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:55:02 pm »
D-lock to the nearest fence, usually.  Failing that, d-lock to a supporting part of the tent, and I'd hope I'd wake up when someone tries to cart both away.  Though there was a tale on the CTC forum about someone camping in Mongolia using this trick, and having both their bike and tent dragged away in the night by local horsemen who'd simply hooked ropes from their saddles onto the tent and ridden away.

« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:57:08 pm »

« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:57:48 pm »
D-lock to the nearest fence, usually.  Failing that, d-lock to a supporting part of the tent, and I'd hope I'd wake up when someone tries to cart both away.  Though there was a tale on the CTC forum about someone camping in Mongolia using this trick, and having both their bike and tent dragged away in the night by local horsemen who'd simply hooked ropes from their saddles onto the tent and ridden away.

Didn't they wake up?  :o

« Reply #11 on: 27 February, 2011, 11:00:54 pm »

Didn't they wake up?  :o

Yes - but they weren't in much of a position to influence matters :)  A tall tale, I reckon.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #12 on: 27 February, 2011, 11:04:48 pm »

I've seen these - or similar in use

Spiral Screw Tie Out Ground Stake Dog Tether Camping on eBay (end time  25-Mar-11 15:18:20 GMT)

If you can find one with a solid loop at the top it would be difficult to remove from the ground if a bike is locked to it.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 27 February, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »
If you use two at different angles, they are pretty much impossible to pull out of the ground.
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 27 February, 2011, 11:09:42 pm »

I've seen these - or similar in use

Spiral Screw Tie Out Ground Stake Dog Tether Camping on eBay (end time  25-Mar-11 15:18:20 GMT)

If you can find one with a solid loop at the top it would be difficult to remove from the ground if a bike is locked to it.

Wouldn't you just rotate the whole bike? I have one of these for tethering my dogs to when I am camping since they can march out straight under the walls of my tent! (And if you lock them in a zipped up bedroom, as I once tried, then they can dig straight through the walls  :facepalm: )

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 27 February, 2011, 11:59:46 pm »
Wouldn't you just rotate the whole bike?

Yes.  So you use two of them, one at each end of the bike.

So far I've locked to a fence or or other solid object where convenient, else structurally integrated the bike with the tent and locked one or both wheels to the frame (and, if available, other bikes).  Touch wood.  I reckon the Streetmachine is relatively unappealing to the sort of opportunist you're likely to find on a campsite, too - as ever my main fear is random fiddling and petty vandalism.

« Reply #17 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:06:06 am »
We had one of those spiral things for the dog at Clarion and Butterfly's wedding.

I was using a rather big branch through the top (triangle) to get leverage to screw it into the ground, and the triangle at the top sheared off like it was made of Camembert leaving the rest in the ground. And my upper body strength is not my strong point; I am a weakling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:10:38 am »
That'll be the First Law Of Campsites[1] in effect.

As Archimedes said, "Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I will strip the threads[2] on the Earth's axial lockring."

[1] That the ground, whatever it may consist of, will always be harder than your tent pegs.

[2] The south pole is left-hand threaded.

« Reply #19 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:21:43 am »
It's simply a case of appropriate measures.  If someone really wants to steal your bike, there's little you can do to stop them, but you take appropriate measure to make sure it's difficult enough, so they'll move onto to something easier.

In a low risk environment, the middle of off-road cycling across Dartmoor for example, you probably wouldn't need to use a lock at all, since in the middle of the night it would be sheer luck to find you at all, let alone target you for a theft.

In most countryside campsites, probably just locking the bike up, or preferably to something relatively immobile ie a fence or picnic table should be more than adequate.  If you're using a campsite which is a bit more urban, than you need to find a less attackable object, such as a real Sheffield stand, or something else solid and metal.

Not using your best carbon fibre racing bike, or desirable expensive full suspension mountain bike is also advantageous.  Nothing supposedly turns off your modern bike thief like drop handlebars, although a poorly locked expensive Ti bike could still be swiped by a knowledgeable opportunistic thief.

I suspect ground anchors although they sound like a good idea, would practically be far to much of a faff to use, provide little additional security, and quite likely be far too heavy to carry, or if reasonably light be made of the finest cheese.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:26:40 am »
Titanium ground anchors?   ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:48:32 am »
If no solid bench or tree to lock to, I pass one of the bendy tent poles through the frame.  To nick the bike, you'd have to demolish the tent.

I'd wake up.

Probably.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22 on: 28 February, 2011, 06:31:15 am »
If you have a big tent with a flap for an electrical hookup, a cable can go through that, into the tent and round something inside.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris N

« Reply #23 on: 28 February, 2011, 06:38:22 am »
If no solid bench or tree to lock to, I pass one of the bendy tent poles through the frame.  To nick the bike, you'd have to demolish the tent.

I'd wake up.

Probably.

Yep, that. I carry a small cable lock too, but pitching the tent through the bike seems like a good compromise to me.

corshamjim

« Reply #24 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:01:30 am »
I have one  - the "Bike & Hike" from Jack Wolfskin which I bought about 12 years ago.  Essentially it's a 2-person dome tent with a porch big enough to take a bike or two.  It was discontinued some years ago, probably because the extra size makes it a bit bulky for cycle touring.  I don't recall if I've ever actually toured with it myself, but will be taking it for the Not The Royal Wedding weekend this April.  If I did a lot of touring I'd doubtless be looking for something lighter and smaller.