Author Topic: Caravan and Camping club, rates?  (Read 4825 times)

Caravan and Camping club, rates?
« on: 14 March, 2011, 09:56:48 pm »
How do the rates work? Me and the GF are doing some camping this year and we are trying to work out if its going to be worth being a member or not.  This is the first site we want to go to for 2 nights in april, turn up on monday, leave on a wednesday and its in low season.
So, how do the prices work ???
Can we book in advance with not being a member aswell, or do we need to call up and find all this out.

Cheers 8)

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Re: Caravan and Camping club, rates?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2011, 10:33:28 pm »
The Camping and Caravanning Club?

If yes, this is the website link.

Site prices vary depending on how good the site is, ie a combination of facilities and location,
e.g. as a member backpacker I would pay £5.60 to £6.50  per night camping at Dunbar from low to high season in April 2011
(a non-member backpacker pays £7.15 to £8.45)

Generally going as a member backpacker (or cyclist) is £1 to £2 cheaper per night.
With annual membership at £37 for you and your partner it will take about 9 nights camping in high season to break even on a simple outlay basis.

There are other benefits as a member, read all about it on the website if you are thinking about it...
e.g. you can book in advance on-line, whereas it is by telephone only in advance for a non-member.

I hope this helps.

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »
Meant to put in a link, oops. Its this one.
http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/siteseeker/aspx/details.aspx?returnPage=search.aspx&id=9065&clearSearch=N&radius=50&location=Castleton%20-%20Fields%20Farm,%20%20Castleton,%20%20S33%208WB%20&siteTypes=1,%202,%203,%205

I take it for me and my GF it will be £7.10 a night for us to go? Whats with the adult bit that costs more? Do we have to pay Non-member fee per pitch per night plus adult fee ontop of that?

It will be car camping, my car will be sort of loaded up and we will be driving there.

Cheers

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »
Simple answer is I don't know as I always go as a backpacker - cycle camping.

I read the 1 night prices for you car camping as adult £7.65 x2 plus non member pitch fee £7.10
total £22.40 per night for 2 adults, in the low season, car with tent or caravan, non members.
which would make it a much higher incentive to join the club, recoup the membership costs in 5 nights camping.

Best to ring the site during the day or early evening to check the prices out with the site warden.
01335 370855

It looks to be in a very nice area - happy camping.

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2011, 07:57:19 pm »
Simple answer is I don't know as I always go as a backpacker - cycle camping.

I read the 1 night prices for you car camping as adult £7.65 x2 plus non member pitch fee £7.10
total £22.40 per night for 2 adults, in the low season, car with tent or caravan, non members.
which would make it a much higher incentive to join the club, recoup the membership costs in 5 nights camping.

Best to ring the site during the day or early evening to check the prices out with the site warden.
01335 370855

It looks to be in a very nice area - happy camping.

Couldnt get through today to the site, could only really call in my lunch break so ill try again tomorrow. But, we will probably join. We want to get away for a few days at the start of April, hopefully again in May time, for a few days after we have been in a cottage in the Lakes in July then probably again in September time. So going by how i think the prices work it seems cheaper for us to be a member.

PH

« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:54:57 pm »
I've stayed at a few C&CC sites without being particularly impressed.  I can see the advantage for a caravan where there are many farm sites, but these either don't want tents or have no facilities.  The larger sites don't seem to be particularly good value, even at member rates.  For example, down the road from the campsite you linked to is Carsington Fields, a better position nearer the reservoir and further from the main road, it's also cheaper.  A little further into the Peak District and you're spoilt for choice...

Carsington Fields Camping and Caravan Park

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:59:49 pm »
I've used the C&CC for tent & caravan.The primary attraction IMO is that there is,IME, a universal standard throughout the network & therefore you know what facilities  to expect/will be provided.

« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:07:43 pm »
Main thing that is more important is decent showers. To be honest i would stay in a farmers field with nothing about but a few other people in tents, but the GF wants showers that are decent. Which we sort of hope that most sites in the C&CC have decent shower facilities.
There are some good sites in the Caravan club that ive been to, and loads more that my parents have been to. But ofcourse they dont take tents on their own(or very few do)
Ive bookmarked the site you have linked to though, going by the pictures it looks pretty nice 8)

PH

« Reply #8 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:22:47 pm »
Main thing that is more important is decent showers. To be honest i would stay in a farmers field with nothing about but a few other people in tents, but the GF wants showers that are decent. Which we sort of hope that most sites in the C&CC have decent shower facilities.
There are some good sites in the Caravan club that ive been to, and loads more that my parents have been to. But ofcourse they dont take tents on their own(or very few do)
Ive bookmarked the site you have linked to though, going by the pictures it looks pretty nice 8)

I'm sure all their own sites have decent facilities, I'm not so sure all the small certified sites do, which are the ones that would be of interest to me.  I phoned a few while planning a tour and a couple of them weren't very encouraging, although they didn't say no tents, they did say they were more suitable for caravans or camper vans.  I'm happy to use them when they're the right site at the time, in practice that works out about once every ten nights camping, which means I don't use them enough to justify the membership fee.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »

I'm sure all their own sites have decent facilities,

I should have qualified my comments by saying that they apply to the club's own/franchised sites referred to in their literature as "Club" sites.
The other sites do vary in many respects

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »
Club sites are a bit dull & regimented (and pricey) IMO.

Certificated Sites have a defined standard, and are smaller, more personal places rather than being a row of white goods.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 16 March, 2011, 02:55:55 pm »
I've found this site to be of great help when finding a decent site and reading recent reviews to make an informed choice:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY