Author Topic: Electric hook ups  (Read 2837 times)

Electric hook ups
« on: 26 March, 2011, 08:41:01 pm »
Before I burn myself to death with t candle lantern what form does electric hook up/supply take? (showing my ignorance again) is this 110v or 240v or 12v or what have you when camping?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Electric hook ups
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2011, 08:44:14 pm »
Bog standard 240V single-phase mains, usually on a 16A ceeform connector.  Often fed through a relatively weedily-rated MCB (5A or so) so the caravan brigade don't take the piss with heating loads.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2011, 03:23:11 pm »
I know people with tents who use EHU for running a heater of some description; presumably a fan heater is the only thing that would spread a bit of heat around, since an oil-filled radiator would just convect all its heat straight out of the roof above it.

I don't like them on principle, although I suppose it avoids having to dive into bed at dusk because it's too cold to sit around doing anything else.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2011, 04:08:18 pm »
Halogen radiant heater would be the best bet for that.  Heats the humans without having to bother about heating the air.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:08:49 pm »
Hook up? :o

*puts everyone in this thread on Ignore* ;D
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »
Not guilty!

I don't think anyone would question my dedication to off-grid gadget use.  I just happen to know a bit about the enemy.  As it were :)

(More seriously: I don't actually believe in caravan-bashing, or even everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-camping bashing.  It's just a bit further up the cheating scale than using a bike: it's all good.  Though I accept that my experience of caravan users is biased towards the elderly and disabled.)

« Reply #6 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »
Hook up? :o

*puts everyone in this thread on Ignore* ;D

Does that include yourself?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:33:55 pm »
You make a very good point just before I put you on Ignore, too. ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »
I wonder what happens if you ignore yourself...

« Reply #9 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:44:32 pm »
240V.
If your going to be in a tent and want to hook up to electric make sure you spend on a proper EHU with waterproof covers on the sockets and fuses. It makes it alot safer. You can buy adapters to adapt from the site plugs to a normal 3 pin plug but you lack fuses and they aren't really made for damp areas.
UK campsites normally have around 10A i think, not 5. Its usually foreign campsites in warm areas that will be around 5A with them thinking you wont need to have heaters on. Over here you can have a caravan plugged in, charging the leisure battery, have the heater on full wack, a TV on and boil a kettle at once and there be no problems. Lighting on caravans is normally all 12V with the odd 240v lights so that is never a problem in a caravan.

Im thinking about getting an EHU for my tent if me and the GF get into tenting. It will be nice to have a heater on if its cold at night and a little lamp on.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #10 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:48:05 pm »
We have a hookup (MrsC likes her camping 'comfortable' and, as I get older, I find I agree more and more!).
Used it for the first time in France last year.  We were running a small kettle off it, as well as using it to recharge the iPod, the phones, the cameras, the laptop...
We intend to get a fridge (again a very small one) next, but as we're currently not planning a major camping holiday this year that may well have to wait. 

Recommended if you're in the 'luxurious' end of the camping spectrum

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 27 March, 2011, 07:00:15 pm »

Im thinking about getting an EHU for my tent if me and the GF get into tenting. It will be nice to have a heater on if its cold at night and a little lamp on.

But you're a young man. If it gets cold, you snuggle down in your sleeping bags and share body heat.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2011, 11:44:00 pm »
If I stuff a ceeform-to-4-way extension in my bikepacking luggage, you all have a license to point and laugh at that epic solar thread.   ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:23:26 am »
*points*

*laughs*

;D
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #14 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:19:03 am »
  Though I accept that my experience of caravan users is biased towards the elderly and disabled.)

myself & mrs. jogler a la Mildenhall made an impression then :)