Author Topic: Cycle camping with a rucksack?  (Read 1638 times)

Cycle camping with a rucksack?
« on: 06 April, 2011, 01:05:37 pm »
I've spent a fair bit of late and haven't got around to buying a rack and pannier system.
I do have a couple of rucksacks though.
I know it's generally frowned upon but is cycle camping carrying a rucksack for an overnighter really that bad?
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

Re: Cycle camping with a rucksack?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »
Well you should be able to get the load for an overnighter down below 12lb, so no, not that bad.

It's frowned on because it's sweaty, tiring and bad for your back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
it's sweaty, tiring and bad for your back

Yes - and when you've done it once you'll want to shell out for a rack and consider it money well spent  :)
Note that you can strap / bungee backpacks to a pannier rack. Inelegant, time-consuming, inconvenient and you need to keep checking they're secure but it can be done.
Do they still sell webbing haversacks in Millets and the like? They only cost a few quid and it is possible to fit them securely to a rack.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »
It does work (and quite well offroad on a MTB) but try not to carry too much.

You could just buy the rack and bungee your rucksack to the top.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2011, 01:26:27 pm »
May be fine if you're a minimalist camper.  Would be ideal if doing off road/green laning mixed in.  Guess it would depends on the obvious things like distance you're planning to ride/time in saddle, plus how much gear you need, plus how confortable your packs are.  When I use to go Mtbing, I used a modern Camelback, but always found my back was too warm.

My audax/winter bike (higher mileage bike) has everything I need hanging from it somewhere - saddle bags, pumps, lights, tools etc.....whereas I fill my jersey pockets and a small micro saddle bag on the summer bike - helmet light, Co2....

Load on bike or Load on rider?

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2011, 06:10:20 pm »
It'll be fine for an overnighter, but watch ebay and the like as you sometimes get someone selling panniers and rack together for not much money. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.