Author Topic: Swedish Fire Steel  (Read 2734 times)

Swedish Fire Steel
« on: 09 May, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »
I'm going to buy one this week to light my Trangia copy stove with (when it arrives). Are any better than others?
Am I best to stick with a trusted product like the Light My Fire ones?

I've seen you can get mini ones which could be better for cycle camping. Are they a bit useless and should I stick to a full size one?
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Swedish Fire Steel
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »
I have one of these:

$2.38 - Wilderness Survival Fire Sparkle + Blade Cutter Tool (Small) - Camping & Hiking Needs

Since the usual flaw in Dealextreme products is a tendency to catch fire[1], this is one that counts as genuinely good value.  I was genuinely surprised to discover that it lights my Trangia reliably in most conditions.

They also have a larger version, which I suspect would be easier to use.

Don't order from Dealextreme if you want it in a hurry, though.

[1] Ha ha only serious

« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2011, 08:24:43 pm »
Thanks. I ordered one for the thrifty sum of £2.50 inc delivery from ebay. Let's hope it doesn't set fire to the postman.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:37:28 pm »
For the more technologically advanced, Wilko sell a Chef Aid butane lighter for all of 99p.  You can refill it too.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:47:58 pm »
Bought one of those steel thingys and ended up using matches doh!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2011, 09:47:12 pm »
Bought one of those steel thingys and ended up using matches doh!

I didn't get mine to work on meths, and someone said it might have been because the meths was cold. Warming the bottle alongside you in the sleeping bag helps apparently...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2011, 09:58:36 pm »
Oddly enough most gas cannisters can also benefit from being in your sleeping bag, since the warmer they are, the better they produce gas.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:54:13 pm »
I didn't get mine to work on meths, and someone said it might have been because the meths was cold. Warming the bottle alongside you in the sleeping bag helps apparently...

SCIENCE

Assuming you can get it lit, meths beats gas in the cold, as butane only boils at -0.5C.  Even with propane in the mix, the temperature of the canniser can rapidly drop to doesn't-work-very-well levels at low ambient temperatures.  As TimO says, sleep with your gas cannister, or use a stove with a pre-heat loop that can run on the liquid gas directly.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2011, 10:09:53 pm »
Or make gas cyclinder heaty uppy thing using a piece of 15mm copper tube, hammered flat, run through the flame and wrapped round the cylinder.

What could possibly go wrong?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2011, 01:19:42 am »
Gas in the cold:

Use a remote canister stove with a preheat loop in the flame, and run the stove with the canister upside down to feed liquid gas.
You only need to run with the canister upright for long enough to get the preheat loop warm, and once you invert the canister you are no longer burning the propane part of the gas mix in preference to the butane part. You thus have good pressure both down to -15 (ish), and until the end of the canister.

If you use a gas stove with the canister upright, you are burning the propane part of the gas mix faster than the butane, with the result that there's no propane left by the time you are much over half used. After this you've no option but to warm the canister before trying to light the stove, and to keep the canister warm in use by using either a bit of copper wire to conduct the heat down, or a close fitting windshield that reflects the heat back down. Generally, upright canisters are best restricted to warm weather (> 15°).

Back on topic, fire steel thingys do work well once you've got the knack. I just lit a cotton wool ball, just to see if I still could. For the gas stove, an ciggy lighter is generally easier, even if it's run out and I'm just using its flint.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:59:08 am »
Need to be very careful with inverting gas canisters unless using a stove like the Primus Gravity.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2011, 01:58:40 pm »
Indeed.
An unsuitable stove will give a big flare when you invert the canister, probably enough to set the tent on fire if you are cooking in the porch.

Unsuitable stoves:
Any canister-top stove, even if mounted on a remote hose adapter.
Optimus Stella, Vango, GoSystem Sirocco

Suitable stoves:
MSR Windpro, Primus Gravity, Primus Express Spider, Edelrid Opilio, Coleman/Epigas Alpine, GoSystem Apollo

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:48:34 pm »
A more contemporary <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PGlH9od39m8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PGlH9od39m8&rel=1</a>:thumbsup:
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

The Mechanic

« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2011, 08:54:06 am »
do you need a powermonkey to charge up that fire starter?

PS As you friendly HSE consultant, I would not recommend that method.