Author Topic: Remote Washing Up  (Read 6641 times)

Remote Washing Up
« on: 11 May, 2011, 04:38:32 pm »
Here's something i've not really thought about before.....

I've done loads of camping but always at proper sites with running water so washing up has never been a problem.
If i'm to wild camp remotely for a few days and carrying my own water supply are there any quick and easy options like "washing up wipes"?
I've googled it and Palmolive used to do a disposable washing up cloth but it would appear that they don't any more.
Such an item would save on carrying/wasting water and would be packed away in a rubbish bag to dispose of later at a convenient point along with other packets etc.
Ideally something like a rough wet wipe with fairy liquid would be perfect.
I suppose an alternative would be to use boil in the bag food which would mean no washing up and merely licking a spork clean.......

On another tangent:
Is it "safe" to consume the water used to cook boil in the bag products? Could I cook my dinner, remove the bag and then drop a tea bag in the water and make a brew without risk of death?
I assume so as surely any release of contaminants would work both ways i.e into the food it's warming and externally to the water?

Odd questions I know but i've got a couple of short trips planned and am thinking of kit and saving weight but still being able to cook my own food etc......
I think half the fun of camping is cooking outside.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

Re: Remote Washing Up
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:52:29 pm »
I've learned to reduce the amount of washing up required by cooking "one pot" meals and eating directly from the pot. After eating I pour in a bit more water, bring it to a boil, and use the hot water to clean out the pot. The small amount of water used this way doesn't come to too much more than the weight of a disposable wash cloth, and you don't have to carry it after you've used it. I usually get my water from streams, or fill my bottles at stores/cafes/wherever towards the end of each day.

As for your second question, I generally boil water for tea/coffee/soup at the start of the meal, then cook the actual meal.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2011, 07:59:44 pm »
For wild-camping, my Ortlieb carrier's 4 litres of water is plenty for a night's drinking, cooking, washing up, hand/face washing and riding to somewhere that'll have more water, so I don't worry too much about washing up.  I just leave pans with a little water to soak any stuck-to-the-bottom stubbornness off, then scrub them carefully with a standard washing up sponge and rinse out with minimal water.

Obviously that's dependent on being able to fill up with water late in the day.

Cooking in such a way as to minimise washing up is the main method, I reckon.

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:16:36 pm »
My wild camping has usually involved being near a stream. I'd carry some bread to wipe my pot after and think twice about porridge or other stuff that will stick. Brillo pads can avoid carrying washing up liquid.

gordon taylor

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2011, 05:14:49 am »
As taught in the scouts - 40 years ago:

I always use a clump of grass or leaves, even if I'm on a proper site.  :-[
A bit of sand or grit helps with stuff like porridge.
A washing up sponge smells to high heaven after a few days.

:thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:59:21 am »
I use a stainless pan - alu is much harder to clean. With the trangia I have two pans. One is water only, the other is for food. Eat from the pan, boil water in the other pan and make tea in a mug, put spare water in the food pan to wash up.

Sand/gravel is an effective scourer.

Water from streams etc. never usually a problem.

BitB food - fine as long as the labels don't disintegrate and the bag was clean on the outside.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2011, 11:01:31 am »
Surely using a drop of Ecover (or similar) liquid would be OK? 
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2011, 11:07:02 am »
Am I the only person that keeps on hoping for some sort of robotic-fettled-from-pingfuckits contraption to facilitate washing up at a distance to appear in this thread?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2011, 11:07:48 am »
That's what children are for, and it would be very successful if you didn't have to wash up after them ::-)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:49:44 pm »
Am I the only person that keeps on hoping for some sort of robotic-fettled-from-pingfuckits contraption to facilitate washing up at a distance to appear in this thread?

Very much not.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2011, 01:01:54 pm »

I know a joke on this theme.The last time I uttered it I was physically assaulted (it left a bruise  :o)* by a lady of this parish.

It is sexist & stored in the "retard" part of my memory :demon:

*nevertheless,she remains my favourite "other woman" ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2011, 05:40:23 pm »
Kim, the world needs you to make something to zap the dirt with 3 watt dynamo-powered lasers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2011, 05:52:36 pm »
If i'm to wild camp remotely for a few days and carrying my own water supply are there any quick and easy options like "washing up wipes"?
I've googled it and Palmolive used to do a disposable washing up cloth but it would appear that they don't any more.
Such an item would save on carrying/wasting water and would be packed away in a rubbish bag to dispose of later at a convenient point along with other packets etc.
Ideally something like a rough wet wipe with fairy liquid would be perfect.
Surely some kind of "washing up wipe" would leave (at least a smear of) washing-up liquid on the surface of the pots? Neither tasty nor, in the long run, healthy.

I use a stainless pan - alu is much harder to clean. ..d
Why is that? I prefer steel anyway (for most things) but I'm curious - is it because alu tends to scratch and food gets engrained in the scratches, or what?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:29:32 am »
So my hope of a miracle cure goes on then. Oh well, looks like i'll just have to scrutinise the number of pans I use.....
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:32:16 am »
I has some teflon pans. Wipe clean, boil water in them, job done.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2011, 08:42:50 am »
I use a stainless pan - alu is much harder to clean. ..d
Why is that? I prefer steel anyway (for most things) but I'm curious - is it because alu tends to scratch and food gets engrained in the scratches, or what?

Yes. Alu becomes pitted quite rapidly. Stainless looks good and works well for years. Well worth the extra cost.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2011, 05:06:14 pm »
For remote washing up:
1) Use one pan for food, one pan for boiling water. Always eat your meal from the food pan - saves washing a plate
2) Cook meal number 1 and make sure you eat as much as possible - don't bother washing the pan though - put it on one side until required for meal number 2
3) choose your menu such that meal number 2 will mix with the burnt residues from meal number 1.
4) repeat steps 2 and 3 as required. Over the course of the week you'll find that the volume of the pan reduces slightly as the layers build up. However, I've always found enough room left
5) take pan home at the end of the trip and leave in the washing up pile by the sink. You may need to keep returning it from the waste bin a few times where it seems to migrate
6) Eventually, your other half will give up the battle, succumb and wash the pan for you  ;D

Job done - remote washing up...

« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2011, 05:14:17 pm »
I've got a folding bowl which I occasionally use, along with a wee bit of washing-up liquid.  This also means you can do your washing-up away from the water source, which is highly recommended.

Also, cooking non-claggy stuff.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #18 on: 23 May, 2011, 06:29:24 pm »
Also, cooking non-claggy stuff.
This, and soak your stuff immediately after use if you're a soap-dodging scrote like me. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #19 on: 23 May, 2011, 06:32:10 pm »
For remote washing up:
1) Use one pan for food, one pan for boiling water. Always eat your meal from the food pan - saves washing a plate
2) Cook meal number 1 and make sure you eat as much as possible - don't bother washing the pan though - put it on one side until required for meal number 2
3) choose your menu such that meal number 2 will mix with the burnt residues from meal number 1.
4) repeat steps 2 and 3 as required. Over the course of the week you'll find that the volume of the pan reduces slightly as the layers build up. However, I've always found enough room left
5) take pan home at the end of the trip and leave in the washing up pile by the sink. You may need to keep returning it from the waste bin a few times where it seems to migrate
6) Eventually, your other half will give up the battle, succumb and wash the pan for you  ;D

Job done - remote washing up...

POTD?

I doubt that my other half would give up battle though!
Chief cat entertainer.