Author Topic: Tent advice  (Read 10032 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Tent advice
« on: 21 May, 2011, 03:58:17 pm »
I have had a few tents over the years. And as. I upgraded, have passed them on via free cycle. Now, I am perfectly happy with the Vango Spirit 200plus that I have been using for a few years now.  But, it has seen very  heavy use and is rather the worse for wear.  I could get another one, I could get an overdraft and get a Hilleberg Nallo GT (it's a possibility, I think they're lovely and was drooling over a couple in Malvolio's field on the camping weekend.  I need something with a big porch, 2 people size, and I'd really like some kind of window in the porch outer if that's possible.  The Vango is just less than 3 kg and I really wouldn't want anything heavier. I have been Internet hunting extensively, but haven't seen quite what I want yet.  (some of the Hillebergs looked as though they had some kind of window in them in Wales.... Do they?)
Anyway, any advice out there?

Re: Tent advice
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »
I don't think that there are any Hillebergs with 'windows'.   Our HillebergNammatj 3GT (nearer to 4kgs  :o ) has a fly mesh door that you can deploy in place of the fabric door.    It also has an eyebrow-style vent at the top of each end.   Some newer Nallo models have this at the vestibule end too.   These can be closed, mesh or fully open.   I suppose you can use this as a window but it is a bit limiting.

A Nallo 2 or 3 GT is a great touring tent, both under 3kgs.   We went for the Nammatj having managed to destruct a very well-used and abused Nallo 3GT in gale force winds in Shetland last summer.    The extra venting capabilities of the Nammatj appeal to me too.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2011, 04:54:37 pm »
I'd get another Vango. In fact, my own Spirit 200+ is also the worse for wear after years of heavy use. A local seamstress has it ATM to see if she can fit a new outer zip. If that doesn't work, I'll buy another Spirit 200+

Surely the Hilleberg isn't worth twice the money?

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:07:05 pm »
It's llke bikes Gordy.  Is it really worth it?  Who knows   :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:07:52 pm »
We've got a Spirit 200+ and a Nallo 3 Gt. The latter hasn't seen any use yet but we are taking it to Denmark next week.

The two are almost exactly the same weight. The Nallo has quite a bit more space in it and when we are both crammed into the Vango neither of us can get dressed.

I read of a problem with the Vango in that the gothic arch created by the poles has an inherent weakness and some chap had the unfortunate experience of his poles all snapping in high wind. This could just have been a one off for all I know, but the Nallo's poles create Norman arches and I assume that there is no weakness inbuilt.

The Nallo's fabric is definitely finer than the Vango's and I assume that it's less robust, but I don't know. I'm intending to use the Nallo when we both go camping, the Vango when I go on my own.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:16:23 pm »
Purely on my own observations, Hillebergs seem to have far more internal headroom than Vango or Blacks equivalents.   They are also much lighter for equivalent sized models.

Nallo 2's have a problem with snapping poles.  I don't know why only 2's but it is.   I have read about it, and, last year we shared a site with some Nallo 2GT owners who were already on a replacement set on a two year old tent.   One of those replacements had also failed.   I offered my spare length of pole from my Nallo 3GT but they declined.   The seven year old fabric of my 3GT succumbed three days later to persistent gale force winds.    :(

I think that I still have my Nallo 3GT poles if anybody would like them.   They are no use for my Nammatj.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »
Mmmm. The reason I'd like a window of some sort is that, I have been known to spend a day or two zipped up due to foul weather.  But it's not absolutely necessary.  I guess it must be the vents of which you speak, PB, that  I saw in MV's field.
It would be really nice if there was somewhereyou could go to see all these tents erected so to speak and have a crawl in and out.

« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:36:11 pm »
Well, if you can wait until September there's Gordy's!   :D

« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:47:31 pm »
some pictures of the large end vents on a Hilleberg Kaitum 2gt here:

Hilleberg Kaitum 2 GT (free ground shipping)  :: Tunnel-design tents (4S & Mountaineering) :: 4-Season & Mountaineering tents :: Shelters :: Moontrail

They look to be fine for sticking your face out of, but you wouldn't see much from further back inside.

The UK dealer most likely to have the less common models in stock for viewing is Alpenstock in Stockport (phone before travel).

« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:53:40 pm »
The Blacks Octane 2 has a window and at 2.3kg not too heavy.  I have the older red version, which I have been happy with.

Blacks Octane 2 Tent

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:56:01 pm »
There's a way of pitching the Nallo 3GT which leaves the porch entirely open at one end. All three poles are used (the non-GT only has two poles) and somhwo the last section is folded insie I think. We've only pitched ours once and didn't try this.

Edit: just found the instructions.

The GT-models offer a great panorama view und very effektive ventilation when the entire vestibule is gathered and tied to one side. This can easily be done. For stability guy lines should be angled forwards.

The entire inner tent is backed by no-see-um netting. There is also an adjustable vent at the foot end of the inner. Both vents can be kept open for most effective results.

I have tried to copy faithfully the spelling from the manual.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2011, 08:02:04 pm »
Anyone know anything about an MSR Velo  tent?

« Reply #12 on: 21 May, 2011, 08:11:15 pm »
No idea about the Velo but I am currently doing a tour around Scotland using an MSR Hubba HP. It's handled some exposed campsites very well, though the high cut of the fly makes it a bit draughty, I think you saw it at Mals.  Based on it's performance I think the larger Hubba Hubba and Mutha Hubba would be worth looking at.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:22:56 pm »
The Blacks Octane 2 has a window and at 2.3kg not too heavy.  I have the older red version, which I have been happy with.

Blacks Octane 2 Tent

We had an Octane 3, which has an end window.  It's got the extra porch space in the same format as a Vango Spirit + or a Nallo GT, though is not as durable.  We do camp a lot, but our Octane lasted about three years.  It's not completely knackered, but was weary.

Actually, we often used to use a flag to cover the window on the outside, as it felt like a very public space to get changed. ;D

Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2011, 10:00:47 pm »
I used to have an MSR Velo. I didn't get on with it really - I found it a faff to pitch and rather bulky. It went to Pedaldog after me - I don't think I ever actually camped in it, I put it up in the garden and thought blow that for a lark ;D.

I much prefered the Blacks Octane 3, but the Nallo 2GT is much better still. The Nallo 2GT has a arched opening at the front which can be used as a window, but doesn't have any plastic or mesh once open.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2011, 08:37:56 am »

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2011, 08:55:04 am »
I used to have an MSR Velo. I didn't get on with it really - I found it a faff to pitch and rather bulky. It went to Pedaldog after me - I don't think I ever actually camped in it, I put it up in the garden and thought blow that for a lark ;D.

I much prefered the Blacks Octane 3, but the Nallo 2GT is much better still. The Nallo 2GT has a arched opening at the front which can be used as a window, but doesn't have any plastic or mesh once open.

I bought that MSR Velo from Pedaldog!

I quite liked it apart from the fact it pitched inner first. Mrs JT hated it though because of the cramped bedroom. Our new Mountain Equipment Dragongly is much better even though the porch is nowhere near as cavernous.

The MSR Velo is now back in it's native America.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2011, 11:35:53 am »
Wild country duolite tourer?

Big porch and 2.95 kg (so slightly heavier than I'd remembered in MV's field)

I'm really happy with mine.

Don't ask.

« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2011, 04:52:36 pm »
I have a Hilleberg Nallo 2GT it weighs less than 2kg. I was lucky in that I got it new off ebay at about 60% of the retail price. I am very pleased with it but will make a note of the breaking poles mentioned earlier. It does come with a spare joint in case I guess.
The window situation is as Polar Bear mentions. The only other thing I would say is that if you are held down by bad weather you can raise the vestibule half way up so that you have a porch you can sit in and look straight out and do cooking and still be sheltered. Providing you have not put it up with the wind blowing straight into your front.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2011, 10:07:43 pm »
I have a Hilleberg Nallo 2GT it weighs less than 2kg. I was lucky in that I got it new off ebay at about 60% of the retail price. I am very pleased with it but will make not of the breaking poles mentioned earlier. It does come with a spare joint in case I guess.
When one of the poles in our Nallo 2 began to show signs of splitting, we ordered a new pole from Alpenstock (and bag because that was splitting too) and had fantastic service from them.  :)

« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2011, 11:04:48 pm »

I quite liked it apart from the fact it pitched inner first. Mrs JT hated it though because of the cramped bedroom. Our new Mountain Equipment Dragongly is much better even though the porch is nowhere near as cavernous.

Ooh, who has it now?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2011, 11:11:23 pm »
We bought a new tent today  - a Vango Icarus 500.  Strictly for car camping only.

I managed to talk Mr R down from buying an 8 man tent - because it had a big porch.  ::-)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:41:53 am »
After the last three weeks, my love for my Terra Nova Explorer, even if it is big and heavy in the pack, knows no bounds.  Plenty of space for kit and corpus, a cookable vestibule and preposterously wind-happy.  At JoG, some Army lads with Blacks bogstandards saw my edge-of-cliffette pitch and joined me: it wasn't the wisest choice on their part.   :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #23 on: 23 May, 2011, 06:20:09 am »

Ooh, who has it now?

A lady college professor (or something) bought it from me when I advertised it on Cycle Chat.
a great mind thinks alike

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #24 on: 26 May, 2011, 10:36:23 am »
I'm one that suffered the vango spirit 200+ broken pole syndrome (they're 'consumables' according to vango). That was 6 weeks in to a 12 week tour. We replaced it with an MSR Mutha Hubba HP which is frigging awesome - we went to an outdoor shop in Konstanz, Germany and pitched about 6 or 7 tents inside the shop (took all day!), the assistant was brilliant with giving advice (in fluent English, naturally) and recommended the MSR for us despite us being adamant that we needed a big porch for cooking etc. In the end, we found that a 3 person dome tent that is as well ventilated as the MSR is fine for cooking in, albeit very carefully, even with two people in it thanks to the height and floor space offered. The small porches are just about big enough to stash 4 panniers in plus shoes/flip-flops for nocturnal toilet trips, and there's even more room inside for anything left over.  Whilst it's 3kg, it's a real luxury for two people cycle touring and made the latter 6 weeks of the tour far more pleasant!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)