Author Topic: touring without the inner tent.  (Read 1783 times)

touring without the inner tent.
« on: 04 June, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »
Our summer touring plans are still not set.   One option is Denmark despite the DFDS website saying that there is no room for bicycles.  ::-)

If we do go to Denmark I'm seriously considering leaving the inner tent at home from the Hilleberg Nammatj.    I think that Denmark in late June / July is warm enough.

What does the panel think?  

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: touring without the inner tent.
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2011, 06:25:46 pm »

Yes it is warm enough, but it can be wet too, so bring a tarp or a footprint.
Just to keep your stuff dry and off the damp/wet ground.

Mosquitoes are another very good reason why you use the inner tent, especially
if you camp near woods and ponds. :(

But other than those two reasons
i can't see why not.

PH

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »
Where's the gain?  The weight saving?  What is it 800g, 1kg?
I've never been to Denmark, though it's on the list, I understand it's relatively flat.  So really is it going to be the sort of tour where saving a bit of weight is going to make a noticeable difference?

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:12:43 pm »
The tent has a full footprint  :)   Mossies is a good point Gus.   This will shape my thinking - I hate the bloody things.

The gain is being cooler and thus more comfortable at night.   Weight is not the issue.   Denmark is mainly flat though there are areas that are what I'd describe as corrugated.   

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
I don't think an inner tent offers much insulation. What you will get is a very clammy interior to the flysheet; you always get this but the inner tent stops you touching it until it dries out in the morning sun (hopefully).

If you really want to save that amount of weight, get some titanium pegs and lighter evening shoes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:28:18 pm »
Hey, if I wanted to save the weight I'd go on a diet....   :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:31:05 pm »
In that case take it with you but only use it if you have to.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

PH

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:35:26 pm »
^^^^^
Yep. options are good ;)

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2011, 11:03:09 am »
Given that the Nammatj has a nice big vent at each end as well as the full mesh door option I think that we could regulate the condensation effect.   Mlle PB likes a heavy sleeping bag even in warm climes so I'm still tempted to leave the inner behind.   I think the best way to work this is to go for a night out somewhere and pitch outer only to test it. 

I could be an academic exercise anyway if we cannot get a ferry berth.

« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2011, 09:17:58 am »
I'm in favour of the idea but I wouldn't use a down bag with it - so the extra weight of either a synthetic bag or a bivvy bag defeats the object IMO.  I'd get something lighter - for cycle touring I'm thinking of taking my http://www.sporttek.co.uk/Tents_and_Shelters/Bivi_s/Snugpak_Stratosphere_Olive_Bivvy_Bag.html and laying up under shelter somewhere for cooking etc if it's raining - 1kg with lighter pegs than supplied.