Author Topic: Unprepared camping is a go!  (Read 2246 times)

Unprepared camping is a go!
« on: 13 June, 2011, 09:44:42 pm »
Well looks like I'm going camping tomorrow, decided to do so about half an hour ago  :thumbsup:

Not quite as unprepared as it sounds though, I at least got the tent out the loft and checked it for perishing at the weekend. It's sound albeit with a touch of mildew in a couple of the seams.

Have only used this tent (Vango Trek 200) for car based camping a few years ago and had forgoten how big the packed size and weight are (4.3kg)

Still it just about fits on the back of my bike:

If I have fun tomorrow I am tempted to get hold of a Gelert Solo or similar, just thought I should check I actually like cycle-camping before spending any money.

Just had a test ride round the block and handling is interesting, though less so once I stopped and removed saddle bag allowing the tent to move further forward of the rear axle. Still wouldn't want to lift the front end with too much oomph but should be able to climb hills without going over the back end now.

So current plan is to cycle to work tomorrow (16 miles) and then after work stop at the Normans Bay campsite which is about halfway home, haven't booked a pitch but as it's midweek I hope I'll be ok (particularly as I've read somewhere the C&CC sites have a policy of find room for backpackers). Failing that there's another campsite on the way home and worst case scenario I get home having tested going a reasonable distance with camping gear on the bike.

Haven't got a stove so will be forced to have a pub lunch for dinner  ;D (and maybe a pint to help me sleep) and something snacky for breakfast before heading back to work Wednesday. Shame I haven't got Weds off but this is all a bit last minute.

Rather looking forward to it.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Re: Unprepared camping is a go!
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2011, 09:49:56 pm »
Cool :D. Have fun. I don't think you'll have any problems at Normans bay. The site nearby in Westham is pretty nice too. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »
Gelert Solo:spending money; does not compute!

they are cheap as chips and well worth it  :)

ps make sure you look out for the Argos Pro-Action one when they sell if off cheap at the end of the summer catalogue they do go very quickly

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2011, 10:18:14 pm »
Gelert Solo:spending money; does not compute!

they are cheap as chips and well worth it  :)

ps make sure you look out for the Argos Pro-Action one when they sell if off cheap at the end of the summer catalogue they do go very quickly

Oh I'm aware they're not that much but no point spending £35 for it to just sit in the loft. PLus if I stick with my current tent I'll have a fair bit of room to move around.

Unlike last time I used it, a 2 person dome tent is all well and good except when your tentmate is too tall for it (had to sleep with his feet halfway up the wall pushing it out) and we pitched on a slope so he kept rolling onto me in the night.

Still for just be it'll be spacious.

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2011, 07:06:02 pm »
Well I am here and the tent is up so so far so good.

Will take some pics in a minute and then repair to the pub for beer and dinner.

Just have the bike free locked for the moment but might ask the neighbouring pitch if I can borrow their tree. :)

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:52:21 pm »
have a good night :thumbsup:.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2011, 10:29:06 pm »
Watched with interest
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2011, 08:24:42 pm »
All in all I'd call that a success. Back home now after riding to work from the campsite and then home after work.

Slept ok, woke up a fair bit (and I need to remember to pack a pillow shaped object) but I wake up a lot even when at home in my bed. Kept checking my alarm in case it hadn't gone off as it was so light in the tent but was fine.

Will put a couple pics up later. Had a good time bar my hayfever being mega bad yesterday and leaving me with sore eyes (I should be better about not rubbing them really).

Didn't seem to be too much harder work with all my gear on the bike but my commute isn't mega hilly and I've been considering gearing down even when unloaded. Will have to work out what size cassette my derailleur can cope with.

Got caught out by some unexpected rain a few miles from home but waterproof was in the bottom of the pannier and I'd have had to remove the tent to get to the pannier so I just got wet instead.

Think I might try and make this a regularish thing, whilst going straight on to work sucks camping on a weeknight is, in some ways, more convenient than trying to fit it into a weekend.

;D

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2011, 09:33:56 pm »
Glad you had fun.

Have to say I am very impressed with camping & then going to work, I confess it's never occurred to me. I assume your colleagues think you are bonkers?  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2011, 09:49:08 pm »
Uh oh - I can just see Crystal Tips rushing round the house right now, packing...

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2011, 10:19:07 pm »
Colleagues, girlfriend, everyone thinks I'm bonkers  ;D :thumbsup:

I'd have preffered to have today off but was a last minute trip, next time I'll consider taking a days leave.

To be fair, two of my coworkers, whilst considering it mad, also thought it quite cool and were reminiscing about camping (albeit not bike camping).