Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 77111 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #275 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:46:20 pm »
I’ve marginally cracked 100 on my solo (102 is the vague recollection) and almost certainly done better on my tandem. Fastest recorded on the tandem was 96 coming down to Landsborough (baulked by vehicles descending at 80-90 and oncoming traffic) but I didn’t have a computer on it during a previous clear run on the same road.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #276 on: 09 March, 2021, 06:17:14 pm »
Mr Smith & I hit 97.6 on the tandem, coming down off Saddleworth. I made him brake for the 30 limit in Holmfirth.

I suspect LW&B would have gone much faster than the 70 we managed were there not cars (held up by solo riders ahead of us) in the way. I closed my eyes.

I got the 100kph badge descending in Bologna. I expect I've hit it on the radio tower, but never checked.

« Reply #277 on: 09 March, 2021, 07:06:50 pm »
Just as long as 100kph is the only thing you hit, it's fine...

« Reply #278 on: 09 March, 2021, 07:34:07 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has managed 100kph IRL on their bike?
Sean Yates was famously clocked doing 70mph down an Alp :o - like many pros, he wasn't the fastest uphill and had to catch up somewhere. I've heard that riders frequently leave the camera motorbikes behind. That may have something to do with the cyclists getting large prizes for being first to the bottom of course ;)

Cyclists have a thin footprint on the road.  They can can take a straighter line through bends than a a camera motorbike or car.  What's more, TdF riders have two lanes to use to smooth the bends with no upcoming traffic to worry about.

The big danger for amateurs like me is that my wheels can be inside the white line but I can lean a long way over it if not careful and be in the path of oncoming traffic.  We can't match the pros with their clear roads.

Just as long as 100kph is the only thing you hit, it's fine...

Have been up and down the Portet d'Aspet.  As I started the 9% descent I thought of Casartelli and took it very easy.  As I into the shade of the trees a mini digger was crossing the road in front of me.  Not haring down, I managed to avoid it.  That was weird, I thought.  I usually make the most of descents.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #279 on: 09 March, 2021, 07:38:41 pm »
I’ve hit 115km/h on my recumbent low racer on a descent into Kirkby Stephen. 

« Reply #280 on: 10 March, 2021, 05:07:56 pm »
Look out for the bear in Titan's Grove. It nearly got me when I slowed for a breather..

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #281 on: 10 March, 2021, 05:30:55 pm »
Look out for the bear in Titan's Grove. It nearly got me when I slowed for a breather..
I saw it fall out of the tree earlier this week! Made me laugh 😆

« Reply #282 on: 18 March, 2021, 11:45:44 am »
Looking forward to doing the Tour of Watopia, starting 29 March. Double XP for all ToW stages ridden. I've looked down the route list and the only route for either 'A' or 'B' rides that I've already completed is Sand and Sequoias. I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to get all ten rides done - some of them will only take around half an hour to complete. Magnificent 8 is event-only, but that leaves eight route badges, around 17500 XP and 4000m of climbing up for grabs! I don't think there's anything to stop you from doing the same event more than once (apart from your own sanity).

They're nominally 'rides' rather than races, but sure to be racy at the front end.

« Reply #283 on: 18 March, 2021, 01:17:35 pm »
I noticed the double points and signed up!

« Reply #284 on: 18 March, 2021, 04:02:17 pm »
I noticed the double points and signed up!
Same. I need want the Level 45 wheelset.

« Reply #285 on: 18 March, 2021, 05:51:33 pm »
Return to Home Screen!

« Reply #286 on: 18 March, 2021, 06:15:04 pm »
:o

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #287 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:21:42 pm »

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #288 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:31:33 pm »
The best software improvement in the history of Zwift, probably.

« Reply #289 on: 20 March, 2021, 09:42:01 am »
Had a Zwift nightmare.  In it I had chosen a half-hour run with about 420m of climbing up Innsbruck's KOM.  It was weird because it started in darkness when it should have been daylight and there was no another rider in sight although the board with my name on said there were over 10000 other riders. 

I got going anyway and decided to go all out and see how well I could do.   About 5 minutes in, a large pop up suggested I renew my subscription which I thought was very odd timing but not wanting to slow down I just clicked renew and carried on.  Despite the darkness crowds of spectators were at each big corner and a few clapped and waved.  Nearing the top I got the usual clock, timing me in at just under the half hour.  I was determined to get inside 30 minutes and with 200m to go it was at 29:41 with the last digit pushing to go higher.  On the line I just made it and the KOM arch flashed up - despite not having seen another rider I had won King of the Mountains! (No other riders were listed however so I was also lanterne rouge.) But.. when I ended the ride the usual 'save ride' did not appear :o :facepalm:

At that point I expected to wake up and find it was all a dream, but so far I haven't managed to do that..

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #290 on: 20 March, 2021, 10:02:34 am »
Return to Home Screen!

I Googled this but I’m none the wiser. What does it do? Presumably a feature that hasn’t irritated me yet :)

« Reply #291 on: 20 March, 2021, 10:05:14 am »
When you finish a ride you can start another one without shutting down Zwift and starting again.

PaulF

« Reply #292 on: 20 March, 2021, 11:17:20 am »
Thanks! When I finish my rides I’m normally so tired the possibility of starting another one is so distant that I’ve never noticed it’s lack. But obviously useful to some folk.

« Reply #293 on: 20 March, 2021, 12:18:35 pm »
All was not lost.  I managed to get the .fit file off Zwift and load it to Strava.  My KOM title was stolen and I only came 2nd.  My time of 29:42 is totally unimpressive since the all time best, set today is 20 minutes faster :(  I know my place, which if there really were 10k riders would be about 6000th.

Even so I'd like to get the ride on Zwift if I could find the way to do it.

« Reply #294 on: 20 March, 2021, 05:20:06 pm »
The only way I could find was to ride it again, so I did.

« Reply #295 on: 01 April, 2021, 09:22:16 am »
Zwift is the only place on the internet that has actual ghosts.

PaulF

« Reply #296 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:34:53 am »
Doing my second Zwift race now.

Got my pace wrong initially but now working steadily through the pack. At this rate the lantern rouge should pass me in about ten minutes.

« Reply #297 on: 03 April, 2021, 09:51:56 am »
 ;D ;D

PaulF

« Reply #298 on: 03 April, 2021, 09:57:14 am »

Got my pace wrong initially but now working steadily through the pack. At this rate the lantern rouge should pass me in about ten minutes.

Well didn’t quite go as planned. Zwift decided my subscription had expired despite me actually getting the renewal receipt just before the ride and I got kicked out with 10k to go.

« Reply #299 on: 03 April, 2021, 02:25:35 pm »

Well didn’t quite go as planned. Zwift decided my subscription had expired despite me actually getting the renewal receipt just before the ride and I got kicked out with 10k to go.

From my post above:

About 5 minutes in, a large pop up suggested I renew my subscription which I thought was very odd timing but not wanting to slow down I just clicked renew and carried on. Despite the darkness crowds of spectators were at each big corner and a few clapped and waved.  Nearing the top I got the usual clock, timing me in at just under the half hour.  I was determined to get inside 30 minutes and with 200m to go it was at 29:41 with the last digit pushing to go higher.  On the line I just made it and the KOM arch flashed up - despite not having seen another rider I had won King of the Mountains! (No other riders were listed however so I was also lanterne rouge.) But.. when I ended the ride the usual 'save ride' did not appear

I have (almost) got over it now..