Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469341 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #175 on: 27 February, 2015, 11:48:26 am »
Eight days is perfectly normal for bad flu, is it not?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #176 on: 27 February, 2015, 01:06:59 pm »
Eight days is perfectly normal for bad flu, is it not?

Yeah.  Couple of weeks for the flu to subside, and another month for the secondary chest infection.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #177 on: 27 February, 2015, 01:24:48 pm »
...and two years and counting for the post-flu exercise-induced asthma.

Or is that just me?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #178 on: 27 February, 2015, 01:44:01 pm »
Well I'm still in bed having not visited the docs. I thought flu cam be a two week in bed thing, it always was for my Mum. I fainted in the shower today which is sub-optimal, too much standing up after lying down for a week I guess. Fortunately no harm done as I saw it coming.

If I'm not notably better by Monday I will go to the docs.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #179 on: 27 February, 2015, 02:19:43 pm »
Real flu is horrible; GET WELL SOON!

I'm not sure what a doctor can do for uncomplicated flu, aside from writing a sick note.

It's too early to check there's no other illness causing the symptoms.

I think you'd know if you had a chest infection or other complication.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #180 on: 27 February, 2015, 02:29:13 pm »
I'm not coughing or sneezing at all, fortunately, so hopefully have avoided any additional complications. It's just taking a long time but I have been very touched at how caring my friends here are, and my landlord/landlady. I have just had another food delivery from my landlady, mixed fruit and bananas.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #181 on: 27 February, 2015, 02:35:36 pm »
I'd suggest not taking a standing-up shower without someone around to rescue you.  I gave myself a nasty bang on the head like that while afflicted with the Long Itch Lurgy.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #182 on: 27 February, 2015, 02:37:51 pm »
It was my first shower since Tuesday (yikes!) so I can probably go a few more days now.

I'm not sure if I'm on the level of staring a shower with my landlady but I do have a painted wooden chair I could put in there I guess next time!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #183 on: 27 February, 2015, 03:50:32 pm »
Wear a h*lm*t in the shower; you know it makesno sense!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #184 on: 27 February, 2015, 04:09:05 pm »
I have one here, what a great idea! Helps with the hair washing too, no doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #185 on: 27 February, 2015, 04:14:47 pm »
Of course! (Says she, who put the word 'no' in 1 point...)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #186 on: 28 February, 2015, 08:27:07 am »
Hallelujah, I think I have turned a corner and am returning to humanity.

I will spend the day in bed anyway not to overdo things, with a bit of walking around to mix it up. I have a week's worth of washing up to do too.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #187 on: 02 March, 2015, 02:38:45 pm »
Went to the Hausarzt today as I was still feeling feeble this morning and I had the feeling I had a high heart rate.

I took Lara the 18-y-ö daughter of my landlady as translator if necessary (her English is excellent and I wasn't sure how well I would cope).

The interesting thing is that you couldn't make appointments at any of the three surgeries in St Hubert, they just have open surgeries, you are seen in order.

I had three options. A friend had recommended a lady doctor but her website showed she was into homeopathy so I decided against that. The other two doctors are next door to each other.

We found the decent surgery for one doctor and signed in (I showed them my insurance card and they seemed happy). I have a £300 excess so will be paying for all of this out of pocket anyway. There were seven people in the waiting room before me and it took about an hour and a half before I was seen.

The doctor turned out to speak fantastic English so we did all in English. I said about having the flu and feeling my heart rate was high - he checke my blood pressure (90/50, no wonder I fainted in the shower), listened to my lungs (fine), then stuck a widget on my finger which said pulse-ox 99 but heart rate 149 which was a lot as I was sitting down so he sent me for an EKG (in the next room). The nurse did that and then blood pressure and said my blood pressure was 160/100. I said that was almost double what it was ten mins ago so she did it again, 140/100, still high. The doctor came back after 10 mins and said could I return tomorrow for another EKG and some blood tests but it was probably a result of the flu. I told him I do get white coat syndrome too.

Since I got home I have worn my HRM. Sitting on the bed rate is 80-90, sitting on the couch is 115ish, 10 mins of standing to wash up was 175, so clearly standing up is an issue after two weeks in bed.

No idea yet how much this will cost, the bill comes tomorrow. But I was impressed by the doctor and the nurses and I quite like the fact you will get seen, but no appointments can mean a long wait. He told me to come at 8:30am tomorrow when they first open.

I seem to feel better this afternoon which is good!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #188 on: 02 March, 2015, 02:48:41 pm »
 :o You pay to go and see a doctor.......Thinking about it that might make my doctor visits more successful, as it seems he's trying to kill me.

Visit 1 Tummy ache and a bit of fever......Go straight to hospital do not pass go ......on the slab with the knives out...Shaved pubes...Appendicitis.

Visit 2 Man issues.................................Go straight to hospital do not pass go ......on the slab with the knives out........ 2X blood poisoning.

Visit 3 Sore shoulder from the Bryan Chapman...Go straight to hospital do not pass go.............wait at hospital.........get bored, walk out.

Visit 4 Next day Sore shoulder(repeat)..............Go straight to hospital do not pass go.............get a nice X-ray and smashing blue sling.

Visit 5 Sore neck.............He tries to twist my head off............I call him a name and walk out.

All FOC mind.

Get well soon AH, the flu is a proper git.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #189 on: 02 March, 2015, 03:32:13 pm »
I've been in Germany 11 months and all along the only thing that has worried me about living here is the healthcare system. I mean, it's very good, but it's an unknown and I have to pay. That is so new to me!

But I realised my insurance policy is effectively the same as my late Weimaraner's Pet Plan policy. Pay up first, then they reimburse you, but there's an excess per year of £300 (not 'per condition', fortunately). Being on the German public healthcare system would be better (they settle the bills) but as a freelancer the premiums were 350€ per month. I am paying £111 per month for my private insurance.

If I ever get a proper job in Germany I can get into the public health insurance system that way. If I plan to stay here long term that would be a good move.

Anyway, having found a good doctor I feel much more relaxed about it all now.

« Reply #190 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:00:57 pm »
I do hope you continue to improve, AH. Flu is truly horrible.

I have a very ouchy thumb after I caught my thumbnail on the kitchen cabinet and about a third of my thumbnail was wrenched away at the side of the nail from its bed. It bled a lot but appears to have  reattached itself in the past couple of days.  The  skin around the area is very painful and swollen, which makes using the keyboard space bar impossible, so I'm hitting it with my index finger instead. I'm not sure whether to put a plaster over the nail, or just leave it as it is. 

« Reply #191 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:12:57 pm »
Unless you are working in a dirty environment (gardening, for example) leave it uncovered.

Wrenched off nails loads of times.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #192 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:13:12 am »
Interestingly all the German websites on flu say go to the doctor straight away, all the english ones say treat at home. Which I guess ight be something to do with the fact that you pay for your doctor's visits.
Or a different interpretation of flu? That is, maybe when Germans say flu they really mean flu, not a bad cold?

Insurance: Can't you use an EHIC?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #193 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:16:01 am »
I can't use my EHIC as I am registered as living here.

Feeling much better now. Off in half an hour to get the results of my blood test - I am very nervous as I always am about these things, too many bad memories. And then I will get the bill!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #194 on: 04 March, 2015, 11:11:39 am »
No bill yet as investigations continue.

My blood test was normal except for a liver reading - usually up to 47, mine was 1620ish. He did an ultrasound there and then and my liver looked normal, no tumour or anything, as did my kidneys, but my spleen was slightly enlarged (not entirely surprising after the flu). He thinks it possible my viral infection/flu has walloped my liver so will do another blood test on Monday to compare (after six days) and will also then test for various hepatitis forms although no idea where I would have caught them from.

In the meantime I am to take it easy and not do anything too strenuous. And not drink alcohol, which I never do anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #195 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:23:00 pm »
Which 'Liver' reading is that?

There are several usually used in liver function tests in the UK.

One of them - Alkaline Phosphatase - can be either bone or liver.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #196 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:39:59 pm »
There were two, both acronyms of three letters, I think one was GG-something. These were in German of course.

« Reply #197 on: 04 March, 2015, 01:30:44 pm »
A 'mercan vid about vaccinations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgpfNScEd3M

It is actually quite frightening, the impact of the downturn in vaccination uptake  could easily be seen in Mrs Ham's school, measles in particular became far more prevalent. If you know anyone who doesn't or won't, send them this vid.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #198 on: 04 March, 2015, 01:33:24 pm »
GGT is gamma glutamyl transferase a live enzyme raised by alcohol related damage.
AST is aspartate transferase
ALP is alkaline phosphatase - the bone/liver chap.

I don't think the German editions are much different.

If your bilirubin were off the scale, you might be a FUNNYCOLOUR

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #199 on: 04 March, 2015, 01:40:07 pm »
If your bilirubin were off the scale, you might be a FUNNYCOLOUR

Or your skin might be the normal shade of green and your urine might be fluorescent, but you don't really notice because you're colourblind, dehydrated, sleep deprived and distracted by pain.  DAHIKT.

(I'm now under standing orders to query the colour of suspicious bodily emissions with barakta.  She gets all the fun jobs.)