Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469837 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ben T

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #376 on: 20 June, 2015, 08:44:10 pm »
If you were a sperm donor years ago, what is the chance you have got children somewhere?

simonp

« Reply #377 on: 23 June, 2015, 03:52:38 pm »
I played football today.

It turns out it takes more than a day and a half to recover from a 12h TT.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #378 on: 07 July, 2015, 12:56:28 pm »
I went back to the GP for a review today. I've been registered with that practice for about 20 years and I've never had a single complaint about them, but my appointment today was very rushed. They were over-running so they probably wanted to make the time up, and I suppose it's not like I needed a lot of time, but I'm sure I was in and out in under four minutes, with 2 months more sertraline and a reminder to go back in July or August.
I had a couple of bad weeks in the middle of June where I felt like I was back to square one, so took a Friday as annual leave to make a longer weekend, and have been much better ever since. Last weekend I remember thinking to myself "I almost feel normal today." (Normal for me, not normal normal, obv). I am wondering if there is a hormonal element to the down patches, but it's hard to track since the mirena ate my periods. Feeling much more stable the past couple of weeks, and have booked some annual leave on one or two Mondays per month to give myself some longer weekends (and to use my leave up by end of September because we're not allowed to carry it over any more).
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #379 on: 22 July, 2015, 01:56:33 pm »
Today's ride was a right flustercluck. Trying to lose a couple of kg so didn't eat much carb last night. Left at 6 am with a marmelade sannie in the breadbasket, felt lousy on the hills. Pharted about on cycle track feeling worse all the time before giving up & turning home. Another bloody vile climb in between, of course. Got in, ate my usual breakfast & took DB meds, went upstairs & flopped on bed.  Woke up an hour later with nausea and roaring headache.

Reckon I got the bonk on the bike & didn't recognize it, then DB meds at home stopped my breakfast filling in the carb hole.  I then went hypo in my sleep & woke up with the consequences.

Lunch - without DB meds & followed by apple clafoutis with ice-cream - took care of it.

All for 20 km. Sheesh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #380 on: 23 July, 2015, 12:53:30 pm »
2 kg is 8000 kCals.
Think 20 kCals per km.

That’ll be 4 x 200 km rides, eating 10 kCals per km.

That’s possible in a week.

« Reply #381 on: 23 July, 2015, 01:14:38 pm »
That's bollocks and completely oversimplistic.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #382 on: 23 July, 2015, 03:18:04 pm »
Factually incorrect AND oversimplistic.

1 gram fat is 9kcal anyway.

« Reply #383 on: 24 July, 2015, 11:06:46 am »

Yup, you're right.

« Reply #384 on: 24 July, 2015, 11:28:57 am »

Yup, you're right.
First rule of yacf:
Teh helly is always right.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #385 on: 24 July, 2015, 12:50:11 pm »
What if she disagrees with teh Julian?

My mental health is continuing to be better and I've had several days in the past month where I've felt almost back to normal. I know I'm not there quite yet, but it's coming. I'm seeing my GP again on Monday.

« Reply #386 on: 24 July, 2015, 12:52:46 pm »
That would be a bit like crossing the streams, wouldn't it?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #387 on: 24 July, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »
My mental health is continuing to be better and I've had several days in the past month where I've felt almost back to normal. I know I'm not there quite yet, but it's coming. I'm seeing my GP again on Monday.
That's great news  :thumbsup:

Si_Co

« Reply #388 on: 24 July, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »
Woke up this morning with a swollen eye, now feel like complete carp, I'd go home but am not sure I'd make it at the minute.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #389 on: 24 July, 2015, 01:05:36 pm »
Whilst we are talking medication...

Just after Xmas my consultant started me on Azapriothine.  I really really didn't get on with it as I felt like I was covered in crawling ants, all the time.

So he stopped that and put me on Methatrexate.

No crawly skin feeling = good!

But now I a) feel the cold much more than I did before (Thyroid blood test shows it to be normal, so not anything physically wrong with me) b) I feel pain more than normal, this is a bit of a problem as I am still in the "one blood test every 2 weeks stage" 3) I bleed more than normal (see b) )

Other than that, for the first time in about 10 years normal service has been resumed in other parts of my body.  This, in total, I would say is a win!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #390 on: 24 July, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »

Then teh Julian is right.
Cos teh Julian is always right.

We seldom post conflicting things thobut.

« Reply #391 on: 29 July, 2015, 09:48:46 am »
I went for some physio last night - nerve pain in my leg as a result of tight muscles in my back. Was subjected to manipulation that's more painful today than the leg! I'm sure there'll be bruises.  :-\

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #392 on: 29 July, 2015, 10:06:41 am »
The medication I am on has really started to work. I can't top eating!!! This is unusal for me as I know that I, usually, don't eat enough, but yesterday I had a breakfast bar before leaving home, then a HUGE bacon and egg butty, then a large pack of grapes.  I skipped lunch, apart from having a bag of crisps, and finsihed the day with a large mixed kebab starter followed by a chicken tikka massala.

And I am hungry again!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #393 on: 29 July, 2015, 10:58:40 am »
A flighty bitey thing in the night has taken a leisurely trip along one of my surgical scars. I want to bite my arm off.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #394 on: 29 July, 2015, 11:56:54 am »
Ice can remove the itch.  that or antihistamine cream
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Si_Co

« Reply #395 on: 29 July, 2015, 02:53:56 pm »
Neat lavender oil is great for insect bites.

« Reply #396 on: 30 July, 2015, 12:52:47 pm »
Try to catch a falling glass, I backhanded a cactus.

Got most of the spines out - but one has vanished into finger joint (that's what it feels like, anyway). Swollen lump on finger for a week so far. It was filled with pus on mon and I though the spine would come out with the pus. No joy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #397 on: 30 July, 2015, 01:17:25 pm »
Try to catch a falling glass, I backhanded a cactus.

Got most of the spines out - but one has vanished into finger joint (that's what it feels like, anyway). Swollen lump on finger for a week so far. It was filled with pus on mon and I though the spine would come out with the pus. No joy.

Time to go to A&E. A old cycling buddy of mine came back from work in America. While in Nevada during his last week there, he fell against a cactus and got spined. He died of septicemia within six months.
The crazy thing was the staff at the British hospital reckonned he'd been self-harming with needles and found it difficult to believe he'd had a desert crash on a bicycle in Nevada near Las Vegas. They thought he was a teller of tall tales.

« Reply #398 on: 30 July, 2015, 01:19:03 pm »
Time to go to A&E. A old cycling buddy of mine came back from work in America. While in Nevada during his last week there, he fell against a cactus and got spined. He died of septicemia within six months.
I'm keeping an eye on my wrist. If red lines start crawling up my veins, A&E it is. Bin there, done that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #399 on: 30 July, 2015, 09:21:44 pm »
You could try soaking it in hot salt water, or epsom salts in water, to try to draw it out.