Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469352 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #700 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:20:02 am »
G^%&*$"£ my arm hurts
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #701 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:23:39 pm »
GWS!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #702 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:10:29 pm »
@mrcharly sympathy, but G^%&*$"£ so does mine.  Extensive inflammation of tendons from the pressure bandage they put on my wrist last week. It seems that every night when I'm asleep they fuse to their sheaths, and when I move them in the morning the pain is just short of making me vomit.  That goes on until they're free to move again, usually a few hours, then the next night it starts over again.  One is not happy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #703 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:13:27 pm »
@mrcharly sympathy, but G^%&*$"£ so does mine.  Extensive inflammation of tendons from the pressure bandage they put on my wrist last week. It seems that every night when I'm asleep they fuse to their sheaths, and when I move them in the morning the pain is just short of making me vomit.  That goes on until they're free to move again, usually a few hours, then the next night it starts over again.  One is not happy.
hey it gives you something to look forward to, each morning, right?  :facepalm:

I broke my radius, so why does freakin ulna ache none-stop?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #704 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:36:42 pm »
Nerves can't tell the difference between the bones, maybe.

My bloody arm has hurt all day today.

« Reply #705 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:09:59 pm »
Hi T42  this sounds a good case for long acting anti inflammatories.  They should keep working through the night and still be on board the following morning.

« Reply #706 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:28:16 pm »
I phoned the hospital yesterday as I have not yet had appointment for removing the cathier only to discover that the request has not been sent to heatherwood hospital from wexham park hospital and had I not phoned the famed thing would be left in  :o :'( .hopefully on Monday I should now find out when it will be removed .
the slower you go the more you see

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #707 on: 30 January, 2016, 08:32:44 am »
Although the German healthcare system is supposed to be very good, it has some disadvantages from my point of view.

I had cystitis two weeks ago and didn't see a doctor as the surgery hours on a Friday are 9:30-12:00 and that's it. I felt dodgy after midday on the Friday. I would have had to wait till Monday or try to find another surgery in Krefeld or further afield which would be a big hassle. Hellymedic's advice to drink loadsa water solved the problem over that weekend.

Of course yesterday (a Friday) at 11:45 I noticed more blood in my urine. Just a tiny bit, but shouldn't be there. Same issue - I have to wait until Monday (afternoon, as I have a job interview in the morning) before I can see the doctor. I know also it will cost me a lot of money as I guess he will do some tests and as I am privately insured with a £300 excess it will hit my pocket, thus a reluctance to go.

If the job interview is successful I will get on public health insurance which will be great - no cost to me for such visits. Which will be a relief...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #708 on: 30 January, 2016, 09:33:42 am »
I am sorry but two episodes of blood in the urine is a proceed straight to hospital, do not collect £200 card.  Cystitis is not known for causing blood in the urine but there are some serious things which would cause both.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #709 on: 30 January, 2016, 09:56:08 am »
OK, I will go to the local Notdienst (emergency doctor) in the hospital.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #710 on: 30 January, 2016, 11:50:35 am »
I think you can wait until Monday but be prepared for a very rapid escalation of care and investigations.  Certainly that would be the case in the UK

« Reply #711 on: 30 January, 2016, 01:49:46 pm »
I'm really ignorant about this arm cast thing. How much is it supposed  to hurt? do I keep it in the paper sling all the time?

<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #712 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:01:38 pm »
It shouldn't really hurt if the broken bones are being kept still.
There might be a background ache.

The sling is there to prevent your limb dangling and getting more swollen. If you can elevate your hand above your elbow any other way, do this; rest it on a pillow, put your hand in the air like a child in class, whatever.

Wiggle your fingers, while keeping your wrist above your elbow.

If you feel there something digging in or your cast feels tight, get someone who knows to take a LOOK.

« Reply #713 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:06:56 pm »
It hurts like a bastard. was swelling and felt numb  on one side but I slept for few hours on the sofa with it propped hand-up againsy back of sofa and thats gone down
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #714 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:13:21 pm »
Went to the local hospital a&e. The receptionists were nurses and asked me what was wrong quite specifically. They then got me to do a urine sample and then got a urologist to see me. She did an ultrasound of my bladder and kidneys and said everything was normal, did a visual check of my undercarriage and said she thought all was generally OK, it might be the tail end of my cystitis, but to keep an eye and go to my Hausarzt if it happens again and they would do a camera check of the bladder. Very happy with the care, I await the bill with interest.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #715 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »
ELEVATE, ELEVATE, ELEVATE!!!

and Get Well Soon!

If it still HURTS despite elevation or looks discoloured, get someone to take a look!

Advice over the interwebs cannot replace human interaction which combines two way conversation, including body language
Seeing
Feeling
testing
etc

« Reply #716 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:18:31 pm »
I think a lot of the pain is from the dislocation. will keep it in the sling and see if it improves
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #717 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:19:36 pm »
ELEVATE, ELEVATE, ELEVATE!!!

What, Auntie Helen's bladder?  Gott im Himbeergeist!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #718 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:21:04 pm »
It was your wrist that was dislocated and is now in a cast, wasn't it?

« Reply #719 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:28:03 pm »
half cast from knuckles to just short of elbow. I think there were a few hairline fracturs as well as the main fragmented radius humerous- which was crushed like cut a crunchy bar in half then ground the two ends together
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #720 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:40:18 pm »
Ouchy!
That humerus (no 'o') sounds sore!

I should imagine it is difficult to elevate your wrist AND keep your upper arm still.

In general, fractures don't hurt much if not moved but immobilising a humerus in loadsa bits is almost impossible.

« Reply #721 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:48:29 pm »
radius, not humerus. dunno why I typed that
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #722 on: 30 January, 2016, 03:01:12 pm »
Ahh.

You radius won't be fully immobilised if your elbow can move and the main shaft is fragmented.

Back slabs do provide some splintage but not total immobilisation. They accommodate the swelling which is inevitable after any injury.

« Reply #723 on: 30 January, 2016, 04:46:22 pm »
I think you can wait until Monday but be prepared for a very rapid escalation of care and investigations.  Certainly that would be the case in the UK
I beg to differ. Blood in urine has been ignored as an expected side effect of cystitis every time I've asked my GP. Even when we're discussing obvious clots in a urine sample.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #724 on: 30 January, 2016, 05:09:14 pm »
I'm sure both I and my Mum have had blood with cystitis, which resolved rapidly with antibiotics.
Painless haematuria needs urgent investigation. I'm less convinced on the need to investigate it when pissing smelly daggers.