Author Topic: Ronnie O'Sullivan says there are '"a lot of arseholes" in cycling  (Read 9204 times)

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan says there are '"a lot of arseholes" in cycling
« Reply #50 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:28:01 pm »
N+1 in running shoes is surely akin to n+1 in bicycles.

I’ve not heard of many cyclists who have twenty bicycles under their bed, some never taken out of the box...

(Well, apart from that one couple in the German PBP documentary)

I have not heard or even met any runners who claim to have 20 pairs or more of running shoes under the bed but I know many people, lots here on this forum who might well have or have had in the past twenty or more bicycles at any one time.  Having a lot of running shoes or bicycles doesn't make you an arsebole though.

As it stands I admit to six pairs of running shoes, two still in the boxes and until only a couple of weeks back more than a dozen bicycles, three of which are tandems and none of which have been ridden by me since May 2018.  I use two different pairs of running shoes every week though.

« Reply #51 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:31:15 pm »
Where is the cycling equivalent to Parkrun?
They're different things, there's not always going to be equivalents. Is there a runners equivalent for going out for a nice ride?   I've never met a runner who doesn't measure it in some way, then tell everyone (Usually after telling them they just do it for fun and are not competitive).  There may be some who do, I've just never met one, even the social Parkrun includes timing chips and published results.
Most cyclists I know, are more likely to tell me where they've been, who with, what they saw... then maybe the distance, though sometimes I'll ask for that if it sounds like a ride I might do.
As for arseholes, we've all got one.

That would be going for a walk.

And, Parkrun actively encourages this.

Davef

Ronnie O'Sullivan says there are '"a lot of arseholes" in cycling
« Reply #52 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:53:58 pm »
I tend not to time my runs or measure the distance unless I am training for something in particular and even then I try to do at least one a week untimed. I do bulk buy running shoes because unlike bikes, they only last a few months and when you find a pair you like, the manufacturer inevitably stops making them.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #53 on: 29 August, 2020, 09:05:49 am »

I’ve not heard of many cyclists who have twenty bicycles under their bed, some never taken out of the box...

I have not heard or even met any runners who claim to have 20 pairs or more of running shoes under the bed but I know many people, lots here on this forum who might well have or have had in the past twenty or more bicycles at any one time.  Having a lot of running shoes or bicycles doesn't make you an arsebole though.

As it stands I admit to six pairs of running shoes, two still in the boxes and until only a couple of weeks back more than a dozen bicycles, three of which are tandems and none of which have been ridden by me since May 2018.  I use two different pairs of running shoes every week though.

At one point (when I was a real runner) I was up to, I think 9 pairs of running shoes plus 2 pairs of home made running sandals.  I did however have 3 x 2 duplicate pairs that were unused becasue I liked them and they were going out of production.  Others were at the end of their life with me eking out a few more miles where I knew I could get away with it

Much like N+1 on bikes for specific purposes, that comprised
- Fell running shoes - really gnarly grip
- general offroad shoes - not so gnarly and not so soft, more for hard gravel
- general purpose gym shoes that could be used on the road
- out and out road shoes, flat, no tread,

in running the only thing you can really splash the cash with gay abandon on is your running shoes.

and some runners have more shoes that Imelda Marcos ...
... and at £250 a pair it soon adds up

I've never paid more than £60-70 for a pair, find a pair you like, find last year's colour that nobody liked, and buy those. As soon as you run in the rain or offroad, the colour is immaterial anyway.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Davef

At one point (when I was a real runner) I was up to, I think 9 pairs of running shoes plus 2 pairs of home made running sandals.  I did however have 3 x 2 duplicate pairs that were unused becasue I liked them and they were going out of production.  Others were at the end of their life with me eking out a few more miles where I knew I could get away with it

Much like N+1 on bikes for specific purposes, that comprised
- Fell running shoes - really gnarly grip
- general offroad shoes - not so gnarly and not so soft, more for hard gravel
- general purpose gym shoes that could be used on the road
- out and out road shoes, flat, no tread,

in running the only thing you can really splash the cash with gay abandon on is your running shoes.

and some runners have more shoes that Imelda Marcos ...
... and at £250 a pair it soon adds up

I've never paid more than £60-70 for a pair, find a pair you like, find last year's colour that nobody liked, and buy those. As soon as you run in the rain or offroad, the colour is immaterial anyway.
Technology is currently a major factor in road running shoes. It is not just a fashion thing and last years colours. The performance difference between £60 running shoes and kipchoges Nike shoes he wore for the sub 2 hour marathon is massive. It all depends on your goals but If trying to qualify for a national team where a few seconds can make a difference, 1 or 2% is game changing. Compared to similar gains using cycling technology £250 is cheap.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #55 on: 29 August, 2020, 02:40:46 pm »
and what's your point? the inference was that everyone is buying multiple pairs of shoes at >£250 a pair, which is simply not true, even at club running level.  your references to Kipchoge's one-off shoes are really not relevant.

The shoes i was buying were retailing at about £130-150, but why pay that when i didnt need to? my running was anything from road 10k to 25mile fell races to 40mile plus ultra's. I favoured minimalist shoes and low drop. 

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Nick H.

« Reply #56 on: 29 August, 2020, 03:06:53 pm »
I buy Nike Mayfly disposable marathon shoes, but only as ultralight street/camp shoes for touring. Love 'em.

« Reply #57 on: 29 August, 2020, 03:13:24 pm »
People buy cars to show off.

At least £10k bikes dont pollute the environment, kill wildlife, bisect communities and threaten lives.

Davef

Ronnie O'Sullivan says there are '"a lot of arseholes" in cycling
« Reply #58 on: 29 August, 2020, 04:36:06 pm »
and what's your point? the inference was that everyone is buying multiple pairs of shoes at >£250 a pair, which is simply not true, even at club running level.  your references to Kipchoge's one-off shoes are really not relevant.

The shoes i was buying were retailing at about £130-150, but why pay that when i didnt need to? my running was anything from road 10k to 25mile fell races to 40mile plus ultra's. I favoured minimalist shoes and low drop.
Sorry that was not my intended inference. It was more of a conversation starter.

The production version Kipchoges shoes can be purchased for £260 at https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-alphafly-next-racing-shoe-KQKNTf so they are not really one offs.

Edit: I see the lastest version are not yet in stock

I completely agree with you with the last seasons model thing. My normal running shoes I do exactly the same. The > £250 shoes dont come down in price with the season.

« Reply #59 on: 29 August, 2020, 05:07:53 pm »
I always buy previous years running shoes but am more limited in choice due to having flippers for feet.  Wider shoes are not so common but can be found even in "popular" sizes for upto 50% off.

I am not sure who the idiots are who pay full RRP for any sports kit though.  Seems daft to me.

« Reply #60 on: 29 August, 2020, 06:11:47 pm »
While runners may be "nice people", they sure do look like a miserable lot.  At least the ones I see in and around London.

That’s just London !

« Reply #61 on: 29 August, 2020, 06:14:16 pm »
As said, the propensity of any given group to move towards dickishness is a fact of life. Everything becomes a competition of betterment. Bigger, faster, better. It's amplified by gear: cars, bikes, golf clubs, you name it. Entire industries are reliant on our unfathomable urge to progress towards dickishness.

The most liberating thing is to not give a shit.

Sometimes he talks good sense that Ian

« Reply #62 on: 29 August, 2020, 06:36:26 pm »
This year I’ve run more, and further, than I’ve cycled so far. Then again, I’ve been running since I was a mere strip of a lad. I’ve been quite demoralised at the ongoing attempts to ‘sex up’ running into a marketeers game. It’s fundamentally simple - although other people may choose to keep shorts for less than my 20+ year habit;)

Some bad things about running:

- being offered the chance to go on a beginners trail running event that included a ‘safe’ low level route with bands, entertainment and feed stations along its 10km. £50 to be made miserable by the presence of people and noise and not even to get up on the fell. Pure marketing b*llsh*t.

- the ever increasing cost of road races and the charities that associate themselves, often abusively, with the longer ones

- the marketing driven increases in the price of shoes and stuff

- the bizarre fact that at 185cm and 9kg more than I weighed 25 years ago I have shrunk from large to medium when buying tops

- my right hamstring this afternoon

Good things about running:

- going for a run

- heading out in the woods or on the fells for an easy run

- getting out early, or late, and watching the day change

- smelling the wild garlic and all the seasons

- wind, rain, snow, sun, heat and cold, light and dark

- running hard and blowing away the cobwebs of a stressful working day

- feeling depleted after a long run on a cold winters day, particularly if you’ve overdone the food and drink for a couple of days beforehand

- my wife says I’m nicer when I run!!

As Dave says, the Nike Vaporfly shoes make a bigger difference than the gap between runners. It’s a shame really, but that’s just the money end of the sport. It doesn’t have to be like that for the rest of us. There’s a constant marketing drive to make us feel we need that stuff to ‘maximise’ our potential, but for most of us that doesn’t matter and we’re better served by enjoying it I reckon. I do have to admit to an interest in stuff, but I’m long past my Pb days.