Author Topic: Attention National Trust members.  (Read 3303 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Attention National Trust members.
« Reply #26 on: 14 November, 2023, 10:47:04 am »
On Saturday I attended, for the first and perhaps the last time in my life, the Annual General Meeting of the National Trus

:thumbsup:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27 on: 14 November, 2023, 12:16:43 pm »
Interestingly, I never received any notice of, or voting papers for, the AGM despite being a member for 20 odd years and always receiving them in previous years.  I need to look into why, although thankfully the right people won without my vote.

Me too, although we have 'family' membership, so it's possible that MrsO received something.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 14 November, 2023, 01:00:22 pm »
https://conservativehome.com/2023/11/14/andrew-gimson-why-i-stood-for-election-to-the-national-trusts-council-and-what-can-be-learned-from-the-results/

Johnson's hagiographer isn't happy about losing.

What a thoroughly disingenuous pile of drivel that piece is.

I like the first comment below the piece by KConnor - it puts forward a well-reasoned and detailed case.

In contrast, the third comment by Jim Smith is a tiresomely predictable string of cliches from the anti-woke bingo card.  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #29 on: 14 November, 2023, 01:05:27 pm »
Those "Common Purpose" types get around......   I see people on multiple sites ranting about them, they must be worse than the Illuminati & the Masons !

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: 14 November, 2023, 01:13:23 pm »
Those "Common Purpose" types get around......   I see people on multiple sites ranting about them, they must be worse than the Illuminati & the Masons !

There could even be some here  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 14 November, 2023, 01:44:21 pm »
https://conservativehome.com/2023/11/14/andrew-gimson-why-i-stood-for-election-to-the-national-trusts-council-and-what-can-be-learned-from-the-results/

Johnson's hagiographer isn't happy about losing.
“It has made knowledgeable long-serving staff redundant, indulged in managerial gobbledygook, promoted a self-hating conception of history, and suppressed well-founded criticism from members.”
I'm not hugely concerned about the NT (sorry, I do love beautiful countryside and appreciate fine houses, not to mention opportunities to walk my dog which in my case I have not got) nor do I know much about these Reform Trust people, but I do hate the phrase "self-hating". I've no doubt it is true of a very few people but what it really is used to mean, it seems to me, is "someone who hates things I love and loves things I hate".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 14 November, 2023, 01:56:33 pm »
It's gammon shorthand for 'aknowledging that BRITIAN[1] have been, quite often, the bad guys'.  Which you'd think would be uncontroversial at this point, but that's my naive 1990s adolescence talking.

[1] Other colonial empires are available.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 14 November, 2023, 02:02:04 pm »
It's gammon shorthand for 'aknowledging that BRITIAN[1] have been, quite often, the bad guys'.  Which you'd think would be uncontroversial at this point, but that's my naive 1990s adolescence talking.

In this particular context, but not as a phrase itself. For instance, I don't think the much-cited "self-hating Jew" has any reference to the BRITISH empire.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 14 November, 2023, 02:08:28 pm »

In this particular context, but not as a phrase itself. For instance, I don't think the much-cited "self-hating Jew" has any reference to the BRITISH empire.

Ah, no.  That's more internalisation of society's prejudiced values by members of marginalised groups.  Which is definitely a thing, but again not usually what the phrase is used to mean.

« Reply #35 on: 15 November, 2023, 06:47:06 pm »
https://x.com/CeliaRichards0n/status/1724846803776938196

Director of "Restore Trust" steps down.   

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2023/11/15/director-of-restore-trust-campaign-group-putting-pressure-on-national-trust-steps-down-from-role

At the risk of stereotyping she doesn't look like a typical NT member, unless she's still on her parent's card.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #36 on: 15 November, 2023, 07:08:41 pm »
At last night's talk David Olugosa had a lot to say about the ridiculous need to see these people off three times. Also how grim it is that a shadowy private company that won't disclose its funding is doing this.

rogerzilla

« Reply #37 on: 15 November, 2023, 07:21:31 pm »

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2023/11/15/director-of-restore-trust-campaign-group-putting-pressure-on-national-trust-steps-down-from-role

At the risk of stereotyping she doesn't look like a typical NT member, unless she's still on her parent's card.
Like all good anti-woke, anti-antifa, racist groups, you need a token from the least obviously supportive ethnic group up front to deflect criticism.  The BNP famously used that Sikh chap, and 55 Tufton Street have Braverman.

« Reply #38 on: 15 November, 2023, 07:29:01 pm »

At the risk of stereotyping, none of those professing "concern" give a flying fuck about the Trust, there's money in it somewhere.

rogerzilla

« Reply #39 on: 15 November, 2023, 07:47:10 pm »
Lots of lovely jubberly development land.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #40 on: 15 November, 2023, 07:51:00 pm »
Plus the ability to start hunting again. And to hide slavery...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #41 on: 16 November, 2023, 07:38:50 am »
Plus the ability to start hunting again. And to hide slavery...

Bingo!  That’s what it was really all about.  The slavery very bit was a useful sideshow but the reality is this was, at its heart, a campaign to reintroduce hunting and shooting (for toffs and wbankers rather than wildlife management) on NT land. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor