Author Topic: Today, I did this for the first time in my life  (Read 2435 times)

Today, I did this for the first time in my life
« on: 06 December, 2023, 09:38:21 pm »
Played Hungry Hippos. Really.

ian

Re: Today, I did this for the first time in my life
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2023, 09:59:40 pm »
It's a gateway to Twister. Which, I imagine, once you reach retirement age becomes more of a challenge. I'd prebook an ambulance.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2023, 10:13:22 pm »
Ahem. Hungry hungry hippos. Not just hungry.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2023, 10:26:43 pm »
This box is simply "Hungry Hippos", I clearly don't have the advanced version. Or, I have an antique, and I can get off with with Fiona Bruce by giving her a quick flash of my box.

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2023, 11:04:07 pm »
This box is simply "Hungry Hippos", I clearly don't have the advanced version. Or, I have an antique, and I can get off with with Fiona Bruce by giving her a quick flash of my box.

You have an original MB version from the UK (with a red plastic base) - or at least Scotland which is where I first played with my daughters in the 1980's. Up to 2x the asking price for a current doubley ravenous version.  I note most offered on eBay don't have a full complement of balls, which I would have thought would be easily remedied for full bragging rights if you have a decent original box.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2023, 12:05:12 pm »
Many times did hungry hippos appear on my Christmas list, many times did it not appear under the tree.
Eventually I got a knock off 2 hippo version by which time the desire to play the game had waned.

But right now, I'm away to suggest to some friends we find an Installation of that life sized version for when my leg is fixed...

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2023, 11:50:00 pm »
Indeed, the US version couldn't resist the leftpondian clichés of a more emphatic - and somehow therefore more naff - name, a 100% increase in appetite, and the supplanting of a classic to the point that people genuinely think it's always been that way.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 19 December, 2023, 08:03:20 am »
Thanks for the confirmation - I was sure the one we had as kids had just a singular Hungry on the box but some people are so insistent that it’s 2x Hungry that I was doubting my memory.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #9 on: 19 December, 2023, 09:13:39 pm »
If you've ever been to Arby's (mildly terrifying tagline: We Have All the Meats®) you will have seen live-action Hungry Hippos.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 19 December, 2023, 10:56:15 pm »
Anyway... Today I for the first time had an xray photograph take of something other than my teeth...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: 20 December, 2023, 02:53:14 am »
Played Hungry Hippos. Really.

By yourself....

Get kerplunk for the spikey bits and marbles to injure siblings and cousins.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2024, 12:55:02 am »
Anyway... Today I for the first time had an xray photograph take of something other than my teeth...

Wait that's wrong my belly was xrayed when my appendix wanted to escape.
I was off my face on morphine at the time but...

« Reply #13 on: 08 January, 2024, 08:39:44 pm »
The local bowling alley has a ride-on version.

https://www.bandainamco-am.co.uk/products/amusement-machines/adrenaline-amusements/hungry-hungry-hippos/
In Scouts, we play this life-size by having Scouts bring along their skateboards. One member of each Patrol (team) lies on a skateboard, holding a washing-up bowl. We scatter ball-pool balls (the plastic things in kids' ball-play areas) across about a square metre. Other members of each Patrol grab their respective Scouts' ankles and push them in and out of the centre, where they use their upside-down bowls to "eat" balls, which they drag back to their corners.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2024, 01:34:02 am »
Tell me more.
Edit 'cos the relevant post which was above has been removed.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

rogerzilla

« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2024, 07:00:52 am »
I can relate to trying something new and nostalgic like 'Hungry Hippos'. Recently, I experienced something similar when I decided to take up gardening. Never thought I'd find joy in planting and nurturing flowers, but here I am, thoroughly enjoying my newfound hobby. It's amazing how trying something different can open up a whole new world of interests. By the way, it's fascinating to learn about the value of original 'Hungry Hippos' sets!
Flowers are ok, but growing your own food inevitably brings you into conflict with pests, which is a new level of aggro I don't need.  It's bad enough having two apple trees; the bastard codling moths destroy the whole crop every year now.  Fairly serious pesticide applied in May sort of deals with them, but those are fast disappearing from the market for amateur gardeners, and the organic alternatives don't do a thing.

« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2024, 08:21:18 am »
I can relate to trying something new and nostalgic like 'Hungry Hippos'. Recently, I experienced something similar when I decided to take up gardening. Never thought I'd find joy in planting and nurturing flowers, but here I am, thoroughly enjoying my newfound hobby. It's amazing how trying something different can open up a whole new world of interests. By the way, it's fascinating to learn about the value of original 'Hungry Hippos' sets!
Flowers are ok, but growing your own food inevitably brings you into conflict with pests, which is a new level of aggro I don't need.  It's bad enough having two apple trees; the bastard codling moths destroy the whole crop every year now.  Fairly serious pesticide applied in May sort of deals with them, but those are fast disappearing from the market for amateur gardeners, and the organic alternatives don't do a thing.

Have you tried the pheromone traps? Some experimentation needed to get them out at the right time, but can be highly effective.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2024, 10:46:01 am »

https://www.bandainamco-am.co.uk/products/amusement-machines/adrenaline-amusements/hungry-hungry-hippos/
In Scouts, we play this life-size by having Scouts bring along their skateboards. One member of each Patrol (team) lies on a skateboard, holding a washing-up bowl. We scatter ball-pool balls (the plastic things in kids' ball-play areas) across about a square metre. Other members of each Patrol grab their respective Scouts' ankles and push them in and out of the centre, where they use their upside-down bowls to "eat" balls, which they drag back to their corners.

As seen on Have I Got News For You…
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2024, 10:56:07 am »

Have you tried the pheromone traps? Some experimentation needed to get them out at the right time, but can be highly effective.

Alternatively, introduce parasitic wasps to your garden.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2024, 02:40:16 pm »

Nicked for future reference. Not that I've got a programme planning meeting this week or anything...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2024, 04:44:53 pm »

Yes, although their purpose is not to catch all the moths, but to indicate if you need to spray.

« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2024, 06:37:53 pm »
I wonder who thought of it first ;D

ian

« Reply #22 on: 10 January, 2024, 09:04:35 pm »

Alternatively, introduce parasitic wasps to your garden.

The is exactly the sort of escalation that led to my garden becoming full of bears.

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 11 January, 2024, 03:44:36 pm »
The is exactly the sort of escalation that led to my garden becoming full of bears.

You need tigers. They'll sort out the bears.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 11 January, 2024, 07:34:38 pm »
Good plan. I got the bears to sort out the Canadians who I'd got in to control the maples.