Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 86027 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #500 on: 26 June, 2022, 06:49:40 pm »

It looks to have the potential to be the toughest race yet to make the GC cut off.  Longer and so much climbing.

I've got 4300km and 50000m of climbing. And that's with a route optimised for less climbing.

I think the number making the cut off is going to be the lowest yet.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #501 on: 26 June, 2022, 09:04:29 pm »
I'm at 4,180km / 46,600m, which is pretty much final, unless I discover something major that I have somehow missed, or the final race manual changes things.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #502 on: 27 June, 2022, 01:48:33 pm »

Medical passed. And as I was paying they said I should forward the invoice to my health insurance who normally cover these things. Which is useful.

J
--

felstedrider

« Reply #503 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:27:01 am »
I assume there's a start list somewhere given the chat on here but I'm finding it a bit difficult to track down.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #504 on: 28 June, 2022, 10:18:30 am »
I assume there's a start list somewhere given the chat on here but I'm finding it a bit difficult to track down.

Not yet. Sometime after the 8th or July. As there's still admin hoops to jump through before then.

J
--

« Reply #505 on: 28 June, 2022, 11:07:18 am »
It will be interesting.  I keep hearing lots of rumours.  They can't all be false!

felstedrider

« Reply #506 on: 28 June, 2022, 11:12:54 am »
It will be interesting.  I keep hearing lots of rumours.  They can't all be false!

:)

« Reply #507 on: 28 June, 2022, 12:26:10 pm »
I tend to run the fun sweeps (velogames) for my cycling club here. Im toying with the idea of doing one on TCR for them, once the start list is posted.
often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #508 on: 28 June, 2022, 05:02:25 pm »

And another edition of the race manual. And I've had to change my route in Bulgaria. Doh.

J
--

« Reply #509 on: 30 June, 2022, 02:41:15 pm »
The race manual did change things a bit, and my total climbing came down a bit when I merged all my files into one. 
I'm now at 4,160 / 44,700.

Don't fancy your route, QG!

Apparently Ulrich B is at sub 4,000km, which I think sounds optimistic.

« Reply #510 on: 30 June, 2022, 10:03:15 pm »
I was tanking straight East South of Brussels to Bonn over the Rhine and then across country to CP1  on my projected route. Loads of up and down on bike paths and back roads as I didn't want to take on the Essen Dortmund Metropolis. I also routed to cut way inland rounding the corner from Italy into the Balkans, steering clear of the coast and hitting the quieter hills. I didn't refine and tally up a final Vert meter total. Just as well.
No secrets to give away there as its not happening.
often lost.

« Reply #511 on: 01 July, 2022, 06:12:50 am »
I was tanking straight East South of Brussels to Bonn over the Rhine and then across country to CP1  on my projected route. Loads of up and down on bike paths and back roads as I didn't want to take on the Essen Dortmund Metropolis. I also routed to cut way inland rounding the corner from Italy into the Balkans, steering clear of the coast and hitting the quieter hills. I didn't refine and tally up a final Vert meter total. Just as well.
No secrets to give away there as its not happening.

North of Brussels is the faster route, especially if you take the long bikepaths along canals. Then cross the Netherlands north of Sittard and stay east of the big open pit mines. Best is to enter the Rhinevally south of the Ahr river.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #512 on: 02 July, 2022, 03:21:05 pm »
The race manual did change things a bit, and my total climbing came down a bit when I merged all my files into one. 
I'm now at 4,160 / 44,700.

Don't fancy your route, QG!

Apparently Ulrich B is at sub 4,000km, which I think sounds optimistic.

Another afternoon spent fettling routes. 4342km 46230m climb. Still not happy with CP3->CP4. There's a round about I share with an E road. There's a pavement, so I can walk round it. But that's going to be a pain.

J
--

« Reply #513 on: 02 July, 2022, 11:29:50 pm »

Actually there is a list!  It's to do with tracker hire, and linked from the V1 manual so may have been around for a couple of months. 
It has all the names I'd heard, plus a few other interesting ones.  Will be a strong field at the front.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14TQMh5qdE92X7V1GHMCdciF8w4BplaI9FlnmT6ua4P0/edit#gid=0

« Reply #514 on: 03 July, 2022, 02:20:26 am »
Oof that list hurts Frank, but is exciting in equal measure. Having shared the road on some cool adventures with a good few of those names it burns not to be jumping in again. Delighted for others to be having a big adventure though and looking forward to following procedures. Grateful for the prior personal adventures to date.
That list doesn't differentiate  between TPR and TCR though no?
While my partner is on the chemo train these next few months and we navigate through those particular  challenging checkpoints Ive had an inkling of the worry our significant others are subjected to. To that end I may not reapply for the TCR in the foreseeable. While she is the first person to be bellowing at me to get up and get cracking  during the race, I know that the big roads, the traffic etc weigh heavily.  I'll likely consider switching to something less road orientated such as the French Divide to remove that issue. TPR will still not the bill though.
While the pointy end appears to be loaded with horsepower, the beauty of the TCR is the fact that there are multiple races within races all through the  entries.
Mike Hall really was a genius.
often lost.

« Reply #515 on: 03 July, 2022, 10:34:39 am »
I notice a Christoph Strasser is also listed for the NC4000

« Reply #516 on: 03 July, 2022, 11:29:30 am »
Maybe a backup plan. He's announced he's doing TCR

« Reply #517 on: 03 July, 2022, 11:31:27 am »

That list doesn't differentiate  between TPR and TCR though no?

Separate tabs for each.

I understand what you are saying, these kind of life events put everything else in perspective. I hope all goes well with you both.

felstedrider

« Reply #518 on: 06 July, 2022, 08:42:53 pm »

Actually there is a list!  It's to do with tracker hire, and linked from the V1 manual so may have been around for a couple of months. 
It has all the names I'd heard, plus a few other interesting ones.  Will be a strong field at the front.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14TQMh5qdE92X7V1GHMCdciF8w4BplaI9FlnmT6ua4P0/edit#gid=0

At least that confirms our other discussion.

*edit*   and he’s admitted to it now anyway…..

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #519 on: 06 July, 2022, 08:51:36 pm »

Cap numbers are out.

I get 67 again.

J
--

« Reply #520 on: 07 July, 2022, 09:45:10 am »
I'm 155 which I think I have had every time.  TBH I'm not that fussed as it's not a particularly memorable number, but that's what they do!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #521 on: 07 July, 2022, 11:06:49 am »
Well this is exciting, we have another forumite riding: 24hourmaths!

« Reply #522 on: 07 July, 2022, 11:57:33 am »
Good luck guys. We are looking forward to dot watching you.
often lost.

« Reply #523 on: 07 July, 2022, 12:32:49 pm »
Lots of familiar names in there, it feels a little plaintive and brings back some intense shared memories.
Bunny hopping each other through the Alpine valleys with Jason S and Malte.
Doug M, the slower paced rarely stopping dynamo popping up all through the Alpine section.
 Sharing a coffee and a bite with Gianluca on the Austrian/czech border before heading our separate ways.
  Meeting Alister D, first on the France/Switzerland transition, then later on in Albania as he came down out of the hills above lake Ohid after taking a bad road and having a rough night.
Racing against Nico C, the man mountain, all through the night coming back down through Czech after CP3, then meeting up again at the 4th  parcour in Bosnia, before I went off piste and got lost.
You guys are in for one heck of an adventure.
often lost.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #524 on: 07 July, 2022, 01:05:11 pm »
Well this is exciting, we have another forumite riding: 24hourmaths!

Is that Broadwith?