Author Topic: LEL 2022is coming soon  (Read 32017 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: LEL 2022is coming soon
« Reply #100 on: 10 January, 2022, 10:51:25 pm »
My bank demands address, zipcode and city of the recipient for a transfer, which are not listed in the email. Can I find these somewhere?

Why on earth ? I can only guess that you are not UK based .. and this is  some weird money laundering provision, or maybe they think we are supplying you with drugs. Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #101 on: 11 January, 2022, 01:59:11 am »
My bank demands address, zipcode and city of the recipient for a transfer, which are not listed in the email. Can I find these somewhere?

Why on earth ? I can only guess that you are not UK based .. and this is  some weird money laundering provision, or maybe they think we are supplying you with drugs. Roger
anti fraud measure?
check the account number you have matches with the address of the person/business you are trying to pay.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #102 on: 11 January, 2022, 07:54:36 am »
Dutch bank. Maybe just a practical thing to allow the remote bank to check whether the account number is correct / as intended. When I transfer money to a Dutch account I don't need to provide address, but get real-time feedback when the name of the beneficiary does not match the account number.

But it's all sorted thanks to Phil.

« Reply #103 on: 11 January, 2022, 12:21:46 pm »
Should I expect any confirmation of my payment? I got the "Your entry to London Edinburgh London 2021" email and made the transfer, but I wouldn't put it past Halifax (or me) to have messed that up somehow.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #104 on: 11 January, 2022, 01:20:42 pm »
Should I expect any confirmation of my payment? I got the "Your entry to London Edinburgh London 2021" email and made the transfer, but I wouldn't put it past Halifax (or me) to have messed that up somehow.
I expect that's a manual process going through the list of entrants and the payments received. Halifax would have confirmed the name of the account as LEL 2021 limited, I saw that so I'm pretty confident I didn't mess up the numbers. (although I could have got the reference number wrong and paid for someone else's entry)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #105 on: 11 January, 2022, 02:36:52 pm »

There was a post about this recently on the Facebook page. You might get an email at the end of January when the final list has been compiled. If not then you'll get a message asking about start time and ordering kit sometime afterwards. A bit vague.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #106 on: 11 January, 2022, 02:46:28 pm »

Btw, that email had the subject "Your entry to London Edinburgh London 2021", but on the about page I don't see time travel to the event included  ???

May I suggest using wise (formally transfer wise) instead, it's a lot easier.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #107 on: 11 January, 2022, 03:25:13 pm »
There was a similar question on Facebook earlier this afternoon and Danial answered - "bear with us. Got the tsunami of emails to reply to first, then we’ll send payment confirmations."

But the much better news was his other post (for those of you not on Facebook) -

"Please accept my apologies if you are waiting for a reply to an email. I’ve spent the last few days on the road, visiting controls and checking the route between London and St Ives.
If you are anxious about the ballot, please don’t be. It looks increasingly like we will fall into a sweet spot of having enough entries, but not having to run a ballot. In other words, if you have applied for a place, we are 90% certain that you will get one. So please don’t worry; we will see you in London in August."

Re: LEL 2021
« Reply #108 on: 11 January, 2022, 04:23:34 pm »
Jason was superb in 2013, but had delivered quite the drink and sniff problem by 2017 and was found stealing cash and merch from the front desk.

Now this, this is how you pitch LEL to Netflix for their documentary/sports stream ;-)

« Reply #109 on: 11 January, 2022, 05:00:44 pm »
There was a similar question on Facebook earlier this afternoon and Danial answered - "bear with us. Got the tsunami of emails to reply to first, then we’ll send payment confirmations."

But the much better news was his other post (for those of you not on Facebook) -

"Please accept my apologies if you are waiting for a reply to an email. I’ve spent the last few days on the road, visiting controls and checking the route between London and St Ives.
If you are anxious about the ballot, please don’t be. It looks increasingly like we will fall into a sweet spot of having enough entries, but not having to run a ballot. In other words, if you have applied for a place, we are 90% certain that you will get one. So please don’t worry; we will see you in London in August."

Have you entered Neil?

« Reply #110 on: 11 January, 2022, 06:57:19 pm »
Yes Phil, I'm in.

With guaranteed entry it was all very relaxed, compared to the stressful experience in 2017.

I'm hoping the five years of extra experience since 2017 will mean I make it all the way around this time.

How about you?

« Reply #111 on: 11 January, 2022, 07:02:50 pm »
Yes entered sometime over the weekend.

I’m a guaranteed and free entry.  I feel unsuitably slow at the moment like many I’m sure.  I’m recently back into a regular 4 rides a week routine again, and gradually increasing time on the bike.  Believe in the process etc, no shortcuts to fitness I’ll need for LEL.

I’m looking forward to the simplicity of this edition, for me, this time round.  Get fit enough and start is about it.

« Reply #112 on: 11 January, 2022, 07:13:24 pm »
I’m sure you’ll have thought long and hard about what happened in 2017 and how you can overcome what stopped you last time. 

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #113 on: 11 January, 2022, 07:24:17 pm »
The link for Wise payment in the "your entry to LEL 2021" mail didn't lead to a page where I could pay, but to a page telling me how wonderful and cheap Wise was. It did seem my only recourse was to create an account with them to transfer the moneys, which I declined. Regular banktransfer worked fine once I got the address (thanks again Phil) at the extra expense of a cup of coffee.

« Reply #114 on: 11 January, 2022, 07:39:10 pm »
The link for Wise payment in the "your entry to LEL 2021" mail didn't lead to a page where I could pay, but to a page telling me how wonderful and cheap Wise was. It did seem my only recourse was to create an account with them to transfer the moneys, which I declined. Regular banktransfer worked fine once I got the address (thanks again Phil) at the extra expense of a cup of coffee.

I used Wise but that link was very dodgy indeed. And I still had to contact the organisation of LEL for instructions (for those who are stuck: "Do not claim to know LEL bank details ,. do not use paying "Someone else " use " Charity or Business "). Personally I don't mind paying a couple of pound sterling extra for a direct link to pay, but this seems to have worked.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #115 on: 11 January, 2022, 07:50:31 pm »
Yes Phil, I'm in.

Yes entered sometime over the weekend.

Look forward to welcoming you both to Barney!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #116 on: 11 January, 2022, 09:07:26 pm »

[/quote]

Hi all

I am in the ballot so this is very exciting news, however I am not on Facebook and have never felt any desire to join.  Am I likely to miss out on anything 'important' by not being there and following the LEL page?

Thanks

« Reply #117 on: 11 January, 2022, 10:05:49 pm »
I'm hoping the five years of extra experience since 2017 will mean I make it all the way around this time.

I'm in the same boat, I only made Edinburgh last time.

Hopefully we've both learned enough to get back to London this time, all the best.

Am I likely to miss out on anything 'important' by not being there and following the LEL page?

Nothing actually important.

« Reply #118 on: 12 January, 2022, 12:38:43 am »
I’m sure you’ll have thought long and hard about what happened in 2017 and how you can overcome what stopped you last time. 
I certainly have, but it wasn't just one thing but a cascade of poor choices. Before LEL 2017 my longest ride had been 400km. Seventy audaxes later, including PBP, I feel I'm beginning to understand how it all works.

2017 was an amazing experience and I'm looking forward to having another this year.

Look forward to welcoming you both to Barney!
Thanks Pete, I'll be disappointed if I don't see you twice!

I'm in the same boat, I only made Edinburgh last time.
Hopefully we've both learned enough to get back to London this time, all the best.
Good luck Mark, and enjoy it no matter how far you get.

« Reply #119 on: 12 January, 2022, 09:01:36 am »
Hi all

I am in the ballot so this is very exciting news, however I am not on Facebook and have never felt any desire to join.  Am I likely to miss out on anything 'important' by not being there and following the LEL page?

Thanks

Anything important will be sent out via email.

There are 5 things you need to do

1. Prepare for the challenge ahead both physically and mentally. This is your number 1 priority. The most important thing.
2. When you are invited to the website rider area.  Choose a preferred start time.  Not critical but if you have a preference let it be known.
3. Again in rider area choose your bag drop control locations. There will be two assuming same as previous years.
4. Turn up to registration the day before the event starts. Bring identification plus your contents for your bag drops. Contents is usually one or two changes of cycling clothes per bag. You’ll pick up your bags for the drops at registration.
5. Turn up and start riding on event start day.

In the website rider area you’ll also be able to purchase merchandise like LEL jerseys etc but that’s not critical.

Facebook will be full of equipment lists,  what start should I choose, detailed ride plans that will fall apart on the first day of riding, what bag drops should I go for, what shoes should I wear, what waterproof, dynamo or battery lights, how do I keep my phone charged, which cycling shorts, what valve cap colour, what’s the weather going to be? etc. There will be questions directed at Danial and Roger because they haven’t replied to an email in  less than 24 hours. It will be a bit like Groundhog Day with the same questions being asked ad nauseam. Questions that are answered in the FAQ page on the website, or if rider’s had read the email sent to them, or even a post two days earlier.

There can be a lot of energy on the Facebook pages but it can also feel like Hotel California at times.  You won’t miss anything important by not being on it. Maybe missing a little of the excitement and energy.  For foreign riders who’ve never been to Britain, no doubt of great use, though they’ll get contradictory responses on weather and how cold and what to wear.

I left Facebook a few years back and don’t intend to return.

« Reply #120 on: 12 January, 2022, 09:13:42 am »
I should add for the ballot.

It’s likely you’ll get confirmation via email you were successful (or not) end of this month or early next month.  You’ll have a reference number in that email. It will be 6 digits and may even be in the email you got when you entered the ballot.   The confirmation will ask you to pay. Make sure you use that 6 digit number as the reference in the bank transfer or WISE transfer.   It enables Roger to match the payment to your entry.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #121 on: 12 January, 2022, 09:59:34 am »

1. Prepare for the challenge ahead both physically and mentally. This is your number 1 priority. The most important thing.

Absolutely this, forget about all detailed plans of where you will be at what time, just be as fit as possible and the ride will look after itself. Weather is very variable, direction of the wind will make a huge difference to how far you can ride in day 1.

I think the people that struggled most last time, were the ones who were ahead of plan on the way north, and relaxed, before finding the going much slower on the way back south. If you are feeling good, and the weather is benign, then push on as far as possible.

That said I'm still worried about this ride and will likely spend more time than is useful thinking about a schedule. Even after riding PBP quite comfortably, the extra 300km feels like a big increase, despite the additional time.

....., what valve cap colour, ...
can't believe this crucial piece of information was so far down the list

« Reply #122 on: 12 January, 2022, 10:33:40 am »

You guys are using valve caps?

« Reply #123 on: 12 January, 2022, 10:35:03 am »
Also important is to prepare for contingency plans. All too often I see riders not carrying enough warm/waterproof clothes and not enough basic spares to repair the most basic bike issues. Then other riders have to stop and help them out, sometimes causing the other rider to end up close to the time limit (OK, I know that you can have extra time for that accredited but you still end up uncomfortably far at the back of the field).
So don't overdo it on lightweight and make sure that you can take care of yourself.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #124 on: 12 January, 2022, 11:41:32 am »

You guys are using valve caps?
schwalbe tubes come with clear caps, look like there is nothing there, but keeps the muck out of the valve